Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

2013 Christmas presents for the cook and the kitchen

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#61 Paul Bacino

Paul Bacino
  • participating member
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:33 AM

A good remote read (non-contact) infrared thermometer has been very useful for my cooking.

dcarch

. Example? dcarch
Its good to have Morels

#62 dcarch

dcarch
  • participating member
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:54 AM

A good remote read (non-contact) infrared thermometer has been very useful for my cooking.

dcarch

. Example? dcarch

I bought mine on ebay about $50.00 long time ago. I think today if you pay about $100 you should be able to get a fairly good one, There are cheaper ones if you are on a budget. The thing to look for is one that can read from an acceptable distance for you, and one with a laser beam to show you where you are reading the temperature from. The laser beam is just a pointer, it does not measure.

You can tell exactly how hot your frying pan is so that you don't kill your non-stick pan, or too hot for your cooking oil, check surface temperature of your meat being roasted, etc.

dcarch

#63 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,712 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:09 AM

http://www.thermowor...CFY6Y4AodFRwAoQ

has these.  they go on sale from time to time.

oddy so does Harbor Freight.

http://www.harborfre...=ir thermometer

:huh:

Edited by rotuts, 17 October 2013 - 06:12 AM.

#64 Robenco15

Robenco15
  • participating member
  • 290 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:15 AM

I have the 1.5 quart sauciere and I like it very much.  I've had it for a couple years.  If I had a spare $199 I'd consider the 2 quart sauciere.  Anything bigger would be too heavy for me to use.  You may be stronger or have more mouths to feed.  The iron handle is pretty and practical, and there's been no trace of rust.  I did not know about the stainless steel handles until just now.

Yeah not being able to see and hold it in person is a little bit of a worry but weight should be ok. I have a 2qt d5 All Clad saucepan now so I am used to using heavy pots. I know the 2qt is as small as I go. I figure with a 3.5 qt I can also do smaller things with it, but if i need to do a large sauce then I have the room for it. I'd hate to spend money on a 2qt saucier and then come to a point where I find myself needing a larger one from time to time. Better to just have the bigger one and do smaller amounts in it and have the ability to do larger amounts when I need to.

#65 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,712 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:23 AM

I have both the 1 QT and 2 QT  all clad  brushed aluminum sauciere pans.  It would be true that I could do what I do in the 3 qt, but for some reason i use these two that I have a lot for sl. different things and enjoy them a lot "as such"

#66 Robenco15

Robenco15
  • participating member
  • 290 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:05 AM

I have both the 1 QT and 2 QT  all clad  brushed aluminum sauciere pans.  It would be true that I could do what I do in the 3 qt, but for some reason i use these two that I have a lot for sl. different things and enjoy them a lot "as such"

Yeah, I'm looking to buy only one saucier and then 4qt and 6qt saucepans but I hear you about the usefulness of 1qt and 2qt sauciers, so I rather just own one. I have a 2qt saucepan for smaller jobs right now as it is. Maybe I'll get a really small saucier at some point for specific pan sauces, etc, but right now I'd rather get the one that I'd use the most and a 3qt would never be too small for anything I'd plan on using it for.

Edited by Robenco15, 17 October 2013 - 07:13 AM.

#67 sigma

sigma
  • participating member
  • 304 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:26 PM

It's an interesting choice to use aluminum for saucepans and copper for skillets.  By interesting, I mean it is pretty much the opposite of historical, or modern, convention.  

#68 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:31 PM

An early Christmas gift...totally unexpected.  Today confectionery partner, Barbara, and I got together to make Copy-cat Enstrom toffee, covered in chocolate, sprinkled with almonds (both sides. Yum) for holiday gifts to give away.  This is the first time we have both been well, without family complications, etc, etc for months now.

Barbara gave me this wonderful cake plate and server.

P1010001_36.JPG

• judiu, Shel_B and DiggingDogFarm like this
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#69 Porthos

Porthos
  • participating member
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:46 PM

After Santa's helper delivers my Christmas gift check there will be a Vollrath Intrigue 3 qt saucier in my kitchen. I also asked for a plain vanilla 6 qt stock pot. Sometime this weekend my DW tried to tell me they do not exist. While in Target Sunday I showed it to her. It is sitting in a Target bag under the tree. It is the right size for boiling up pasta without taking up too much space in the dishwasher.

• judiu and DiggingDogFarm like this

Porthos Potwatcher
The Unrelenting Carnivore
"If every pork chop was perfect, we wouldn't have hot dogs." (source unknown)
Customer to clerk in a clothing store, "Do you have these in a size for people who actually eat?"

#70 Special K

Special K
  • participating member
  • 671 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:42 PM

This is just a little stocking stuffer, but I love it - Melitta makes a little cutie called a "JavaJig," a reusable coffee filter thingy for use with Keurig-style brewers. BPA-free, the "starter kit" includes 2 reusable cups and 30 teensy little filters. No need to remove the machine's filter holder - this little guy pops right in and then the grounds and the filter can go straight into the compost bin.

http://www.amazon.co...elitta java jig

• judiu and Porthos like this

#71 BeeZee

BeeZee
  • participating member
  • 543 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:42 PM

After Santa's helper delivers my Christmas gift check there will be a Vollrath Intrigue 3 qt saucier in my kitchen. I also asked for a plain vanilla 6 qt stock pot. Sometime this weekend my DW tried to tell me they do not exist. While in Target Sunday I showed it to her. It is sitting in a Target bag under the tree. It is the right size for boiling up pasta without taking up too much space in the dishwasher.

6 qt is definitely a handy size, I have 8 qt and often wish for something just a little smaller...will check that one out!

• judiu likes this
"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

#72 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,689 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:04 AM

Toots got me a Breville oven - just the one I wanted.  She's such a dear.  Her daughter is getting me "something" for the kitchen. 

Amongst other things, I got Toots her most favorite alfajores, direct from Argentina.  She's been wanting them for a while, and now she'll have them.  Can't wait to see her expression when she unwraps the box.  I also got her a new skillet.  Technically, it's not a Christmas present, just something she needed (my word, not hers) and that I wanted for her place so I can cook for her a little easier and she can have a skillet that'll go into the oven. Oh, and while it's not directly related to kitchens or cooking, I got her a pair of warming boots that heat up in the microwave oven.  Her feet sometimes get cold and these might help a bit.

Finally, I got tickets to see Baryshnikov at the Berkeley Rep theater later on.  She's going to enjoy the performance, I'm sure.

I'm making lemon curd to give to the family - something like 7 or 8 jars of it.  Mmmmmm ...

Edited by Shel_B, 19 December 2013 - 07:05 AM.

• judiu and DiggingDogFarm like this

.... Shel

#73 Shelby

Shelby
  • society donor
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:47 PM

I hope someone in my family listened as I lamented not having a proper ANYTHING to roast a turkey in.

• judiu, FauxPas, Darienne and 1 other like this

#74 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 05:43 PM

I got a massive assortment of Poilâne breads shipped straight from Paris: the Poilâne round loaf, a rye loaf, walnut bread, cranberry bread and a box of Punitions.

I would LIKE the Tiger fuzzy-logic rice cooker / slow cooker that Andie mentioned in the Slow Cooker thread, but I have a feeling I'm going to have to buy that one myself.

• judiu and MikeHartnett like this

#75 boilsover

boilsover
  • participating member
  • 98 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:05 PM

Hi, Shel:

Since this is a special gifty situation, I would suggest a silver-lined piece of copperware.  You can do this one of three ways: (1) buy new; or (2) buy a vintage tin-lined pan, and send it out for plating; or (3) find a vintage silvered piece.

For the first, may I suggest Bottega del Rame  http://www.rameria.com/ ?  For the second, buy a hotel-grade pan on eBay, and send it to ACME Plating in Colorado.  http://www.acmeplating.com/  For the third, you might find a Jos. Heinrich or Georg Jensen Taverna piece that is already silvered.  I have done all three and can recommend all.

The advantage of a silver-lined pan is that you can have thicker copper than can be found on the bimetal pans (max 2.3mm of copper) AND the silver is not subject to accidental melting as is tin.  The only DISadvantage, IMO, is that you must refrain from using metal utensils.  If you do, this would be a "lifetime" pan, and the ne plus ultra of cookware.

Merry Christmas!

• judiu and Shel_B like this

#76 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:54 PM

Let me suggest a couple of incredibly useful, but pricey, kitchen items that are not pots or pans:

- Ultra Pride+ wet grinder from India. Make iddlys, vasa, your own fresh masa for tortillas, or Thai curry pastes with ease.

- Iwatani Millser from Japan. Incredibly useful 3-bowl small blender.

I'll also second the recommendation for a pressure cooker. You don't have to spend a ton of money on that one. It opens vistas with stocks and legumes that I'd never dreamed of.

• judiu likes this

#77 Porthos

Porthos
  • participating member
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:09 PM

The check has arrived. Familial decorum dictates that the check not be deposited until after the 25th. I will also wait just in case my DW passed on the info to some family member asking for gift suggestions. Don't need 2 of them.

• judiu likes this

Porthos Potwatcher
The Unrelenting Carnivore
"If every pork chop was perfect, we wouldn't have hot dogs." (source unknown)
Customer to clerk in a clothing store, "Do you have these in a size for people who actually eat?"

#78 Robenco15

Robenco15
  • participating member
  • 290 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:28 PM

Toots got me a Breville oven - just the one I wanted.  She's such a dear.  Her daughter is getting me "something" for the kitchen. 

Amongst other things, I got Toots her most favorite alfajores, direct from Argentina.  She's been wanting them for a while, and now she'll have them.  Can't wait to see her expression when she unwraps the box.  I also got her a new skillet.  Technically, it's not a Christmas present, just something she needed (my word, not hers) and that I wanted for her place so I can cook for her a little easier and she can have a skillet that'll go into the oven. Oh, and while it's not directly related to kitchens or cooking, I got her a pair of warming boots that heat up in the microwave oven.  Her feet sometimes get cold and these might help a bit.

Finally, I got tickets to see Baryshnikov at the Berkeley Rep theater later on.  She's going to enjoy the performance, I'm sure.

I'm making lemon curd to give to the family - something like 7 or 8 jars of it.  Mmmmmm ...

Ha, I'm an elementary music teacher so 'tis the season to show the little kids The Nutcracker. The one I've been watching over and over is Baryshnikov's version on VHS. Really fantastic and if I didn't know who Baryshnikov was before, I definitely do now.

I'm getting a Waring Xtreme Blender with variable speed control. Cannot. wait. Along with Alleno's 4 seasons at table No. 5, Manresa, Daniel, a cast iron skillet, and a bunch of other stuff. My favorite gift is the ones where I assess what I got and what I need to perfectly complement it all, and buy it myself. I'm thinking a #120 or #200 lab sieve.

iPhone 5s, gold version, too, but that isn't cooking so who cares right?

• judiu likes this

#79 MelissaH

MelissaH
  • participating member
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:13 AM

Oh, with the right apps, it could be!

MelissaH
Oswego, NY
Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

#80 Robenco15

Robenco15
  • participating member
  • 290 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:07 PM

Oh, with the right apps, it could be!

I'm finding some o yhe best apps are for ipads. Don't have one of those though...

#81 kayb

kayb
  • society donor
  • 899 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:24 PM

The kids wanted "some good knives." I found a three-piece set of Shuns on www.cutleryandmore.com's clearance section. 8-inch nakiri, 6-inch utility, 4-inch parer. I will no longer have to curse the bad knives when I cook in their kitchen. 

I'm lusting for a Breville smart oven, but I have a dearth of electrical outlets in the kitchen. What I'd really LOVE to have is a good, easy way to organize and store spices.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

#82 judiu

judiu
  • participating member
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:01 AM

What I WANT is a new microwave, my second-hand one just died last night. My son's sending me something, but I have no clue what!
"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

#83 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,689 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:55 PM

What I WANT is a new microwave, my second-hand one just died last night. My son's sending me something, but I have no clue what!

Hope you get one that you like ... :cool:

.... Shel

#84 judiu

judiu
  • participating member
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:21 PM

Thanks, Shel_B; I know it's not a nuke, cause he sent it second day air! Ooops!

#85 Goatjunky

Goatjunky
  • participating member
  • 116 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:17 PM

I just inherited my grandmas aebleskiver pan. So excited to experiment tomorrow morning.
  • Porthos likes this

#86 kayb

kayb
  • society donor
  • 899 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 06:08 PM

I have an aebleskiver pan. Can highly recommend stuffing with a small slice of banana and three Reese's Pieces.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

#87 FauxPas

FauxPas
  • participating member
  • 403 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 08:20 PM

What I'd really LOVE to have is a good, easy way to organize and store spices.

Do you have a door in your kitchen area? Pantry door or similar? I use the Elfa door system which I first saw in Genkinaonna's food blog a couple of years back. I love it and can really store a lot of spices in it. Here's the food blog pic:

http://forums.egulle...2011/?p=1816888

It's available through The Container Store and they currrently have 30% off. I bought mine at full price, but it was still worth it. I love how much extra spice storage I get. I can fit about 8 or 9 spice containers on each shelf and I think the door space will allow for up to 10 shelves/racks if you use it for the smaller spice racks only. I have 8 racks on my door, but I have some of the big ones for storing bulkier items. 

The best thing I have ever had to store spices!!! Thank you Genkinaonna! 

Edited by FauxPas, 25 December 2013 - 08:21 PM.

#88 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,818 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 09:43 PM

Thanks, Shel_B; I know it's not a nuke, cause he sent it second day air! Ooops!

Maybe its a BSO!

#89 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,818 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 09:44 PM

I have an aebleskiver pan. Can highly recommend stuffing with a small slice of banana and three Reese's Pieces.

Sounds like an Elvis-skiver

#90 judiu

judiu
  • participating member
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 12:03 PM

No gfweb, not a Breville Smart Oven, but a good book, instead: Around my French Table! (It took me a minute to transcribe BSO into Breville Smart Oven, since our "County Mounties" here are also BSO's: Broward Sherriff's Officers...) Love Dorie's stuff! I know what I'll be doing this weekend! What did everybody else get?