Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Making your own colored cocoa butter

Chocolate

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#31 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 10,344 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:02 PM

yup - Chef Rubber carries the pigments as well

#32 jaroj

jaroj
  • participating member
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:38 PM

Thanks and will check both leads.

#33 fandi1

fandi1
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 06:24 AM

Hi all....

I think this is my first post but I am a long time reader. I think this is THE best (BESTEST) LOL forum out there and everyone are very helpful. I would like to thank everyone for explaining everything without jumping on newbees. THANK YOU.,

I would like if possible to get help with colored cocoa butter. Here is my problem. I got my CCB from http://shop.chocotransfersheets.com/.  I use my CCB on candy molds most of the time. 90% of the time candies don't stick to the molds when they are ready to come out. If they do stick. it's just very little. problem that I have is that even if I let my candies rest if I barely touch them I get a finger marks and cocoa butter melts. I don't even have to hold candy in my hand for this to happen. I think my CCB could be out of temper. 

Now, here is a process of how I make my candy shells prepared for molding.

1. my CCB is at high 90F low 100F. I shake well I use two types of air guns (.8mm masters and 1.5mm full size gun) both at about 40 psi BTW. I love use      1.5mm it's fast so if I need to make 5-10 molds of 3X5 it's fast and even.

2. Gun is at 90-100F, I spray CCB in to the molds let it crystalize, scrape, clean and let it sit for about 2 hrs. 

3. fill molds with tempered chocolate. shake out, clean let crystalize, 1-2 hrs later perfect shell for candy,

4. then usual .... fill with ganache, close, take out... done...

next day if I touch my candies I get the problem that I am trying to address here.

ALSO, if anyone interested, I made my own warm box 36inx24inx18in (91cmX61cmX46) that I can keep any temperature constant in for less then $200.00.  And paint booth  for less then $100.00 I can post pictures and how to.

I am trying to find out how to post pictures here... I will include  a picture of my candies when I do

Edited by fandi1, 27 March 2015 - 07:10 AM.

#34 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 10,344 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 10:40 AM

Welcome fandi1 - I for one would love to see your paint booth.

I think perhaps your cocoa butter is a bit warm - try about 95 F and see if that makes a difference.  

#35 fandi1

fandi1
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 10:46 AM

Thanks to Nancy... I know how to post now LOL

this is my chocolate candies that I made and make

input would be appreciated

:smile:

Attached Images

• DSC_4880_1.jpg

Edited by fandi1, 27 March 2015 - 11:25 AM.

#36 fandi1

fandi1
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 11:06 AM

Welcome fandi1 - I for one would love to see your paint booth.

I think perhaps your cocoa butter is a bit warm - try about 95 F and see if that makes a difference.  

Thank you Kerry Beal...

I will take pictures of the paint booth and post tonight after I get home.

question though.....

i thought that if I'm using a spray gun... air in the gun (kind of ) tempers CCB.  you are saying that there is a greater chance of CCB being tempered if I start from 95F? correct?

I was planning to start over and temper my CCB. I just finished my hot box and I was planning to get CCB tempered like dark chocolate one time (do a full temper sickle) let it get hard and then keep CCB in my hot box at about 90F all the time.. guns would be at about 95F (lover rack). what do you think about that?

My thoughts about CCB is that lots of people talk about it. There are lots of forums about it. Every one has there own opinion about this matter.

I would like to put this question to rest ones and for all.

I know that here are people who take chocolate making to the next level and I, for one, am working on opening my own business up. However, I am a person who don't have to much money, and would like to make my candies perfect before I open up. 

Edited by fandi1, 27 March 2015 - 11:53 AM.

#37 keychris

keychris
  • participating member
  • 274 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 08:31 PM

I personally work with my cocoa butter at 31-32C (88 - 90F) and my gun at 45C before spraying. It might be one of those things that once you have it work for you, you just do it that way forever :D

I leave my coloured cocoa butter solid in my holding cabinet, wrapped in three layers of clingwrap. When I need it, I just take it out the day before and leave it at 45C in my dehydrator overnight, then it's ready the next day to be stirred whilst cooling to 32C.

#38 fandi1

fandi1
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 01:50 PM

20150327_213114_1.jpg 20150327_213141_1.jpg 20150327_213200_1.jpg

This is my paint booth/box

20150327_214223_1.jpg 20150327_214254_1.jpg 20150327_214259_1.jpg

this is a heat box

#39 fandi1

fandi1
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 01:04 PM

Thanks for the reminder about the colours - knew there was something I had forgotten.  Each is with 100 grams of cocoa butter no more than 40º C.  

Chocolate brown
            8 grams red
            6 grams blue
            4 grams yellow

Yellow
         8 grams yellow

white 

10 grams titanium dioxide

blue

8 grams blue

red

8 grams red
     3 grams yellow
     20 grams dark chocolate

Hi Kerry,

I see that your ingredients make up more then 10% of CB. does that make your colors thick?

Have you made any green CCB? if yes,,, can you post ingredients please?

Plus,. can you tell me if your colors are opaque or translucent?

By adding chocolate  is it safe to assume that colors are opaque?

sorry for machine gun questions

Edited by fandi1, 30 March 2015 - 01:08 PM.

#40 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 10,344 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:24 PM

Green has not been a success.  

These colours are pretty much transparent (except white) - you need to add titanium dioxide to get opacity.

#41 fandi1

fandi1
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:47 PM

This is interesting....

They are transparent even if you add chocolate ? Can you tell me who much TD do you add?

#42 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 10,344 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:55 PM

The chocolate does help somewhat with transparency - but it's still a small amount relative to cocoa butter. 

I think you'll have to play with the amount of titanium dioxide.

#43 Sue Casey

Sue Casey
  • participating member
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 09:36 AM

I recently saw some molded chocolates.  The description given was hand painted with raspberry and apple juice (and cocoa butter I think) as they were very shiny.  I like the idea as it's natural unlike colored cocoa butters.

Anyone know of this method or used it?  I'd be curious what the ratios are.

#44 keychris

keychris
  • participating member
  • 274 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 04:20 PM

Do you have a photo or a link? I can't imagine how you apply a water-based substance like fruitjuice to a chocolate and not adversely affect the final product.

#45 Sue Casey

Sue Casey
  • participating member
  • 58 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 04:36 AM

That's what I thought.  I'll see if I can find a pic.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chocolate