Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Making your own colored cocoa butter

Chocolate

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Jenjcook

Jenjcook
  • participating member
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:11 PM

Since I don't live near an Albert ulster. Colored cocoa butter is nearly $35 a bottle with shipping....so I decided to try to make my own. The problem I'm running into is with the titanium dioxide (the white powder that makes it opaque) I can't seem to get it completely dissolved/suspended in the cocoa butter leaving little white lumps when I airbrush it. Anyone ever done this and have suggestions. I tried putting it through a blender and straining it in cheesecloth...still has teeny tiny lumps.

#2 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,845 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:33 PM

Is it the titanium dioxide formulated specifically for chocolate?  I've had problems with some I bought at a health food store - but I don't think it was really fat soluble.

I use an immersion blender - but I've got to think if you've put it through a blender and strained it that an immersion blender won't help.

Could the the powder have become moist?  Would it be worth drying it thoroughly at a low temp in the oven before trying again?

#3 Jenjcook

Jenjcook
  • participating member
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:13 PM

Is it the titanium dioxide formulated specifically for chocolate?  I've had problems with some I bought at a health food store - but I don't think it was really fat soluble.

I use an immersion blender - but I've got to think if you've put it through a blender and strained it that an immersion blender won't help.

Could the the powder have become moist?  Would it be worth drying it thoroughly at a low temp in the oven before trying again?

It's food grade but not specifically for chocolate. I like the drying in the oven idea.

#4 Jenjcook

Jenjcook
  • participating member
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:58 PM

As a first experiment it went fairly well. Im made a second batch today and was able to get the titanium dioxide into solution with a bit of heat. This is the fist batch I airbrushed.
Bananas Foster in Guittard French vanilla

Attached Images

• image.jpg

• Sonali Wickremasinghe likes this

#5 minas6907

minas6907
  • participating member
  • 595 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:33 PM

I was going to start a topic similar to this, but maybe I'll refrain now since this is pretty much on subject. I too want to make my own colors with cocoa butter, but I'm not really sure where to start. I dont want to purchase the bottles of colored cocoa butter, they are too expensive considering the little use they would get. I'm not using an airbrush, I mostly want to do simple colors using a gloved finger. To apply the colors to a polycarbonate mold, I know the cocoa butter needs to be tempered. Mainly what I'm wondering is how to go about the tempering process. The amount of cocoa butter I would need for, say two or even three molds is quite small, since it would just be a spatter or smudge here and there. So to temper the cocoa butter, would it be normal to table it? Do I table the cocoa butter then add my color? It seems like most everyone here uses the colors that come from the bottles, and even in Chocolates and Confections it seems like Greweling says that the colored cocoa butter needs to be tempered, but doesnt really say how. Anyways, if anyone can clarify that would be helpful, I'll check what Notter says in Art of the Chocolatier.

#6 Alleguede

Alleguede
  • participating member
  • 110 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:22 AM

Melt your cocoa butter to 40*c. Add your powder, maximum 10%. Blend it well. Add some seeds, or micro planed cocoa butter and blend again.
I let them set overnight. Then remelt and blend again.
  • DianaM and Jenjcook like this

#7 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,845 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:00 AM

What Rodney said.  

I usually set up a bunch of beakers with the melted cocoa butter and powders and work through them from lightest to darkest so I don't have to clean the immersion blender between.  

When I get back home from up north remind me and I'll give you the amounts of each powder to add to get the ideal colours and to make brown and black.  

#8 minas6907

minas6907
  • participating member
  • 595 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:28 AM

Hey thanks for that, both of you! Lately I've started to get a bit more confident with chocolate, so I'm going to have another go at it, Ill post the results, thanks again!

#9 minas6907

minas6907
  • participating member
  • 595 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:18 PM

Hey Alleguede and Kerry!

I just have one picture to post for the time being, but the did exactly what you both said and I got the cocoa butter to work perfect! Thank you, really! One question though, so do you two just have a bunch of containers of colored cocoa butter already made up, so they are ready to just bring out, warm slightly, blend with hand blender, then use? Also, the 10% color, I'm assuming that's by weight?

Attached Images

• Assorted Bonbon.jpg

#10 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,845 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:25 PM

Rodney is in Paris right now - coaching the Brazilian candidate for the World Chocolate Masters - so I suspect he isn't watching eG - but I shall try to answer for him.  

Once I've made my coloured cocoa butters I store them in something akin to baby food jars - I heat them in the microwave until just partially liquified and don't bother with the hand blender at that point.  I only use the hand blender when I'm producing them originally.  

About 10% by weight.

#11 Jenjcook

Jenjcook
  • participating member
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:30 PM

Here is some of my homemade cocoa butter, works pretty well, but it is hard to make certain colors, so I guess I'll just order those from chef rubberimage.jpg
  • Sonali Wickremasinghe likes this

#12 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,845 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:31 PM

Never could make a green I was happy with.  

#13 Alleguede

Alleguede
  • participating member
  • 110 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:28 PM

I personally feel that when you make your own cacao butter colors, I need to make a decent amount. Like 250 g so that it is blended well. Don't forget to strain it well.

You can add some shimmers to it as well or white or dark chocolate. Try to use those colors around 30 degrees.

As Kerry said always try to keep them crystallized. Melt them a little and shake well.

Pcb or chef rubber do have great products and they last for ever.

Edited by Alleguede, 05 November 2013 - 12:29 PM.

#14 Victor Antonio Padilla

Victor Antonio Padilla
  • participating member
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:37 PM

Hello,

I am trying to make colored cocoa butter too I've been succesfull with powdered colors but I am completely new using titanium dioxide, I got some from the store that sells the powdered colors but don't know how much I can use. Many sites states that is not safe in big quantities and really don't want to poison anybody.

I have also read in the FDA that the maximum allowed is 1%

http://www.accessdat...h.cfm?fr=73.575

Edited by Victor Antonio Padilla, 08 November 2013 - 03:00 PM.

#15 Alleguede

Alleguede
  • participating member
  • 110 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:23 PM

That is true but it also means 1% of the total weight of your product.
When you airbrush or paint you most likely deposit much less then 1%

During practice, we made about 200 molds of 28 cavities with about 3/4 of a 200 gr bottle. So needless to say you have room.

Even in my glaze I use 20 grs for 4kg so I'm well under.

Good luck!

#16 Victor Antonio Padilla

Victor Antonio Padilla
  • participating member
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:12 AM

Thanks a lot for you help. Just to double check you mean 20grs Titanium for each 4KG cocoa butter right?

Will be making some tests today hope i can get them to look half as good as the ones I have seen here.

#17 Victor Antonio Padilla

Victor Antonio Padilla
  • participating member
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 02:14 PM

Just to update, everything went horribly wrong. Don't know if I did something that I shouldn't. Yesterday went testing only powdered colors without titanium dioxide color blended well with the cocoa butter. Today the powder appeared to combine but when I added the titanium dioxide altought the color became kind of milky I got some white cast in the surface:

IMG_20131109_150235.jpg

I never got rid of it, no matter how much I blended. I read that maybe with some extra heat It could blend but still no luck. Tired I just let it sit after a while everything started precipitating so it was kind of orange in the surface and pink in the bottom, I tried not to combine again everything just to take a correct picture, blowing revelead the color down the surface like in this picture (half orange, half pink after a blowing, and still with those white lines)

IMG_20131109_153538.jpg

Please help me, I want to know what I am doing wrong. If there is a problem with the titanium dioxide I am using I don't think I will be able to get another brand here in Peru (also importing edible products is horribly dificult, so buying directly from chef rubber is not an option for me).

Is there any other method? can I combine for example 8% powdered pink and  2% powdered (thus making the 10% required) in order to get a similar result?

Edited by Victor Antonio Padilla, 09 November 2013 - 02:16 PM.

#18 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,845 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 02:33 PM

How warm is that mixture?

#19 Victor Antonio Padilla

Victor Antonio Padilla
  • participating member
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 04:19 PM

First picture is somewhere between 40º and 35º don't remember the exact moment of the picture melted it to 40º added the powder then started with the inmersion blender and added the titanium. Even thought it starting getting colder I always had that white stuff on top. 

Second picture is after i heated more just to see if the titanium can join completely, I most probably overheated (Last time I checked I reached 55º or so) the white stuff never dissapeared. I still have it here the colored part has separated with some in the bottom, kind of solid and dark yellow butterish liquid on the top.

#20 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,845 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 04:28 PM

Might want to see if it can be saved by tempering on marble.

#21 Victor Antonio Padilla

Victor Antonio Padilla
  • participating member
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 04:46 PM

I will try to do that, thanks a lot for the tip. I actually don't mind starting again, I have more cocoa butter and more color powders (other colors at least).

The problem is, even at low temperatures I had that white stuff on top from the begining as soon as I added the titanium, how may I get rid of that white cast, or is it normal of the titanium dioxide?

As I said, yesterday with no titanium everything went smooth with no white stuff on top altought it was translucent. That's why I am starting to think maybe the titanium I am using is not right for this use (sadly there is no other place to get other brands).

#22 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,845 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 04:51 PM

I'm not really sure what is causing it - I have had some problems with the titanium dioxide that I didn't get from a source that makes it for coloured cocoa butter so I assume that it was not as fat soluble for some reason - but I believe you said you bought this from the same place you got the coloured powders?

#23 Victor Antonio Padilla

Victor Antonio Padilla
  • participating member
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:20 PM

Yes, it is actually a store that sells all kind of colours not only chocolate stuff. Even the coloured powders they are probably not specific for cocoa butter they just sell them as fat soluble, sadly they don't state anything about the titanium dioxide. I will try it again from the start, if it doesn't work will try to just use white instead.

#24 Alleguede

Alleguede
  • participating member
  • 110 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:23 AM

First of all, follow the advice of Kerry. If that doesn't work, add 20 grs of white chocolate and see if it emulsifies. Real titanium dioxide is not the easiest to work with. It has a dilution issue but to its advantage it is as well hydro and lipo soluble but if they sold you chalk. Then you will have a problem.

#25 Victor Antonio Padilla

Victor Antonio Padilla
  • participating member
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:50 PM

Hello guys,

This is more like a thank you post to all of you. Took all your advises seirously, and got some results, I really think I got it right this time.

Sadly I had to start all over because not even tempering or marble worked saving yesterday's work, and that white thing never got away, so today I starting by calling a lot of people and found another provider for the titanium dioxide, anyway, an image speaks for itself (right one is today's obviously)

IMG_20131111_185419.jpg

Once again thank you.

PS.: I have something else to ask. Some days ago my airbrush compresor died. I want to buy a new one to work with cocoa butter and also change my current airbrush as it not designed for that either (it has a 0.3 tip so you can imagine how much time consuming it is  to use it to airbrush molds). I don't have a big budget and what I can say is that I like to buy a syphon suction one (I really prefer them because of how easy is to change colors). If you can give me some advise in what I could buy I'd really appreciate it. I can't physically go to any store in US but can order in webpages and sent them to a freight forwarder I use, so It has to be something I can buy online.

#26 Mjx

Mjx
  • host
  • 5,668 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:40 AM

Victor, head on over to the ongoing discussion of compressors, Air compressor kit for spraying moulded chocolates.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Host, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

#27 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,845 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:10 PM

Here's another with some airbrush suggestions in it too.  

Chicago Airbrush Supply here is a good online source of stuff  - the store itself is a fascinating rabbit warren - but they have a ton of stuff and their prices are very competitive.  

Edited by Kerry Beal, 12 November 2013 - 07:13 PM.

#28 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,845 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:28 PM

Thanks for the reminder about the colours - knew there was something I had forgotten.  Each is with 100 grams of cocoa butter no more than 40º C.  

Chocolate brown
            8 grams red
            6 grams blue
            4 grams yellow

Yellow
         8 grams yellow

white 

10 grams titanium dioxide

blue

8 grams blue

red

8 grams red
     3 grams yellow
     20 grams dark chocolate
  • DianaM likes this

#29 jaroj

jaroj
  • participating member
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:30 AM

As said before the colored cocoa from Chef Rubber can be expensive and would like to do the colors myself, can anyone tell me a good source for the pigments in the US.

#30 minas6907

minas6907
  • participating member
  • 595 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 02:37 PM

I got my fat soluble powdered colors from pastrychef.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chocolate