Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Eating in Ontario

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MuskokaChef

MuskokaChef
  • participating member
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:14 AM

is it that we as Ontarians know where to eat or does no one use this forum to pass on information?

#2 ElsieD

ElsieD
  • participating member
  • 879 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:13 PM

i would possibly use this forum if I were going to a particular city and wanted to get some recommendations. However, me posting about a restaurant where I live, in Ottawa, is probably useless info if you are living in say, London, ON, and have no plans to come here. If I am looking for information on where to eat in Ottawa, i tend to visit Ottawa Foodies, Urban Spoon or Yelp. That also applies if i am going to a different city and am looking for restaurant recommendations. Those would be the sites I would go to first.

#3 MuskokaChef

MuskokaChef
  • participating member
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:17 PM

from what I can hear you're saying Elsie is that this site has become redundant to some of the foodblog sites you have mentioned? is that right? seems such a shame!

#4 SYoung

SYoung
  • participating member
  • 107 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:57 AM

This board was more active around 10 years ago, but for reasons I can only guess, members flocked to other foodie boards - in particular Chowhound which is now the de facto and most active food related discussion board in the world.  I'd say that Yelp and Urbanspoon are special niches where patrons post restaurant reviews but not a foodie discussion board.

#5 Ryan Imgrund

Ryan Imgrund
  • participating member
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:01 PM

I'll take suggestions from people on here other Yelp or Urbanspoon any day.

Nothing worse than seeing food you love being trashed by someone who can't appreciate good food when they see it or taste it.

I'm a HUGE Indian buffet fan and have probably gone to 15-20 across North America before finding my favourite in Toronto. Yet looking at Urbanspoon, etc., there's nothing remarkable about this place.
Ryan Imgrund
Food Lover and Published Foodborne Pathogen Expert