Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Recreating Ferran Adria's Mint Pond

Modernist

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 foodphotography.in

foodphotography.in
  • participating member
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:09 AM

I recently had the wonderful opportunity of photographing a story called Captain Cooks for Vogue magazine (India edition). The magazine enlisted 15 top chefs from around the world to share 1 of their recipes that define the year ahead for them. Ferran Adria's Mint Pond was one of them...

vogue-india-jignesh-jhaveri-food-photogr

As one of the few dishes (that I know of) that invoke the sense of sound whilst eating, it was especially hard work to freeze the pond just right, so as to create a hard ice layer on top, whilst maintaining liquid below. A bit of dry ice between the black pebbles helped create the smoke/mist to add to the cold feel.

The full story is available on my blog at http://foodphotograp...efs-with-vogue/

Bouquets and Brickbats welcome!

• foodphotography.in and DiggingDogFarm like this

#2 KennethT

KennethT
  • participating member
  • 910 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:58 AM

Thanks for posting this. I had the pleasure of eating this dish at El Bulli during the last full season and had always wondered how they did it.
  • foodphotography.in likes this

#3 foodphotography.in

foodphotography.in
  • participating member
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:03 AM

Pleasure Kenneth, glad you enjoyed it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Modernist