Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Le Louis XV, Monte Carlo

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 aromes

aromes
  • participating member
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:42 AM

[attachment=34825:LOUIS XV, MONTE CARLO - SEPTEMBER 21ST 2013 - Velouté rafraichi de courgette trompette.JPG] Just re-visited Le Louis XV after many years of no-show. Full photo & text report can be found on my web blog (you'll see the link in my profile).

Picked: Velouté rafraichi de courgette trompette, homard bleu court-bouillonné, caillé de brebis/Cookpot de petit épautre, girolles et jeunes légumes/Loup de la méditérannée (seabass) en filet piqué d’Olives, garniture et bouillon d’un minestrone, basilic pilé au mortier/Poitrine de Pigeonneau des Alpes de haute Provence, foie gras de canard/ . All nicely prepared, but I wished the flavors were more expressive as I came to expect from this type of classic French/Med cooking. For example, the cookpot de petit épautre: dishes cooked this traditional way (pot cooking) do usually deliver lingering aromas that I failed to enjoy with this serving. Particular mention, though,  for the cheeses and the Baba au rhum (as stunning as I remember them from my last visit here, many years ago). Conclusion: I may not have been floored by the overall food performance on this specific lunch (remember, nothing was wrong with the food, it is just that I tend to be partial to strong /bold/eventful  flavors like those found in the dip of the crudités or while enjoying my baba au rhum ) , but Le Louis XV is a  dining experience of superlative attributes (stunning decor, world class service, cheeses of the highest standards , choices of wines that will please the most demanding wine lovers and I can go on and on with the qualities).

Edited by aromes, 28 September 2013 - 11:59 AM.