Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Dinner! 2013 (Part 5)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
573 replies to this topic

#571 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:26 AM

Another rare foray here.

I stumbled upon organic, grass-fed ribeye for $10 for 10 oz the other day, so leapt upon it. 

1454842_992186059391_1217307953_n.jpg

Seared in cast iron with a garlic and butter baste, which was then used to sear brussels sprouts and maitake mushrooms. To the latter I applied TJ's balsamic glaze, and to the former, leftover thanksgiving gravy thinned out with some Dolin rouge.

To paraphrase the Dos Equis guy, "I don't often eat red meat, but when I do, god damn!"

• judiu, FrogPrincesse, Shelby and 2 others like this

#572 Bojana

Bojana
  • participating member
  • 216 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:56 PM

Tonight 55C steamed salmon with sweet and sour dried apricot sauce (with rice vinegar, mirin and cointreau), curried cauliflower puree, crispy salmon skin sprinkled with with curry, crispy fried shallots and some seeweed. I served a bowl of rice on the side. It was explosion of flavours but somehow they all worked together. 

Salmon with curried cauliflower.jpg

• judiu, Shelby and Vlcatko like this

#573 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,252 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:36 PM

""   sweet and sour dried apricot sauce   ""

im a keen fan of dried apricots.   i grew up in Los Altos CA early on during the '50's. on 1 1/2 acre plot of apricots.  we dried many and others came in and dried the rest.

i developed a taste for the sour w a hint of sweet.   

( BTW that same plot now has at lest 10 houses on it   at a few mill a piece ! )  so ...

please point me in the direction of that Sauce.   I still get slab apricots at TJ's and dry them out further until

they are almost like delicious shoe leather.

cheers.  and Im a big fan of salmon too !

Edited by rotuts, 06 December 2013 - 01:44 PM.

• judiu likes this

#574 judiu

judiu
  • participating member
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:37 PM

Rotus, the apricots also make a great glaze for pork, when mixed with mustard, etc.

[Moderator note: This topic continues here, Dinner! 2013 (Part 6)]

Edited by Mjx, 07 December 2013 - 03:28 AM.
Moderator note added.

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"