Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Drinks! (2013 Part 2)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
409 replies to this topic

#61 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,737 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:45 PM

Isn't crème Yvette a bit different from crème de violette though? From what I read, it's more berry and vanilla-forward and may not be a good substitute. See for example kindredcocktails and imbibe magazine.

I suppose what it comes down to for me is that the LCBO has the Yvette, they may or may not have anything else in the violette general category soon or ever. I'm undecided on whether or not I'm going to grab it but I don't have very high hopes of there being an alternative any time in the near future either. With the quantities generally used in drinks being so small, I'm wondering if a violet syrup would do the job.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#62 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 673 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:21 PM

I think tonight calls for an Aviary Cocktail, courtesy of Grant Achatz and American Bartender of the Year Charles Joly. 

The Aviary Cocktail

• 100g vodka
  • 50gr Red Bull
  • 25g carbonated Gatorade
  • 10g Midori
  • 5g whey protein
  • .5 Malort tincture
  • 2 each fist bumps

No instructions provided, but I think we can safely assume they're "CHUG CHUG CHUG." 

Edited by Rafa, 16 October 2013 - 02:34 PM.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#63 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,873 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:48 PM

I think tonight calls for an Aviary Cocktail, courtesy of Grant Achatz and American Bartender of the Year Charles Joly. 

The Aviary Cocktail

• 100g vodka
  • 50gr Red Bull
  • 25g carbonated Gatorade
  • 10g Midori
  • 5g whey protein
  • .5 Malort tincture
  • 2 each fist bumps

No instructions provided, but I think we can safely assume they're "CHUG CHUG CHUG." 

Or how to get rid of that awful bottle of Midori that you foolishly bought in the 90's?

#64 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 673 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:02 PM

Is this the first ever recipe calling for Red Bull in grams? 

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#65 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 992 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:32 PM

Careful. Those are probably metric fist bumps, which are 2.2 times bigger than imperial fist bumps.

• judiu and Plantes Vertes like this
Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

#66 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 673 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:01 PM

Yes, but they're weaker, as they don't carry the steel gauntlets of empire. 

Do they sell shirts that read "I'm bigger in metric" ?

• judiu likes this

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

#67 Mjx

Mjx
  • manager
  • 6,372 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:35 AM

Is this the first ever recipe calling for Red Bull in grams? 

I've been in DK too long, as soon as I read this, I thought 'HAH! In grams maybe, but not, alas, in metric: behold, the "Jäger bomb"':

25 cl Red Bull
4 cl vodka
4 cl Jägermeister

CHUGCHUGCHUG... dance.

• Rafa likes this

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

#68 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 673 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:51 PM

Sherry Cobblers and Smith & Cross mojitos tonight while blasting The Clash. This drink would be appropriate but I can't bring myself to drink something with a whole ounce of Cherry Heering at the moment. 

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

#69 Snark

Snark
  • participating member
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:17 PM

I Am D.B. Cooper

Douglas fir eau de vie (Clear Creek)

2 oz. rye (McKenzie, because I'm finishing up a bottle)

¾ oz. rosemary-infused maple syrup (Yum.)

¾ oz. lime juice

3 dashes Angostura Bitters

Rinse glass with eau de vie. Shake and double-strain remaining ingredients into an Old Fashioned glass with large ice cube. Garnish with slapped rosemary sprig.

http://www.sfexamine...ent?oid=2597063

Very tasty, but the aroma of the garnish might be a bit overpowered...

• Rafa likes this

#70 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:22 AM

Tooling around with the chilli-infused simple syrup I used in Edward Lee's jalapeno mint julep. It's weather enough for a Collins, I guess. So here we are with a jalapeno-infused Tom using West Winds Cutlass and, oh, because the simple is pretty mild, a few drops of Habanero Shrub. 

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#71 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:23 AM

Time for a classic. My very favourite classic. Old Fashioned w/ Wild Turkey 101 rye and Fee's whiskey barrel aged bitters.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#72 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:17 PM

Time for a classic. My very favourite classic. Old Fashioned w/ Wild Turkey 101 rye and Fee's whiskey barrel aged bitters.

That sounds really good, Chris. I have a bottle of Wild Turkey 101 bourbon, but sadly not the rye.

More drinks (going through the backlog).

For a dinner party, I made Corpse Revivers No. 2 for my male friends & Sunflowers for their dates (I was too busy to take photos). Sunflowers were prepared with the last of my homemade elderflower cordial.

The next day I was still in the mood for a Lillet/absinthe combo so I went with David Slape's Paddington.

10129678215_c445c0c684_z.jpg

A couple of nights ago, this terrific Manhattan with St. George Breaking & Entering bourbon, Dolin rouge, Angostura bitters, brandied cherry. Grab this bourbon if you can find it.

10321225036_c9a332a543_z.jpg

• judiu likes this

#73 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:23 PM

I forgot - also a Trader Vic Mai Tai with my usual rum combo after the discussion on the origin of the Mai Tai. I keep smelling apricot when I mix this one, I have no idea why.

10282863064_9324d6e9c4_z.jpg

• judiu likes this

#74 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 673 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 05:31 PM

It's Jack Rose weather. I'm out of grenadine so I made one with cranberry syrup. Nice and Thanksgivings-y.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

#75 bostonapothecary

bostonapothecary
  • participating member
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:00 PM

grappa lime sour

2 oz. aldeia velha, aguardiente bagaceira envelhecida

1 oz. lime juice

8 g. non aromatic white sugar

this is a really beautiful sour from a spirit that hasn't gotten its due.  these Portuguese grape brandies can really be sublime.  according to the back of the label they like to be thought of as "fruity, but robust". some how they are a Pernod Ricard product but imported by the exemplary fringe importer, Grape Moments.  this stuff doesn't take itself too seriously because its produced in traditional "cooper" stills from the "distilation" of the best white grapes. I could run an entire bar program on these brilliant unsung Portuguese products. some day.

abstract expressionist beverage compounder
creator of acquired tastes
bostonapothecary.com

#76 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 894 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:14 PM

It's Jack Rose weather. I'm out of grenadine so I made one with cranberry syrup. Nice and Thanksgivings-y.

I like them also with crème de cassis. We don't have Thanksgiving...

#77 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:17 PM

Tonic water on the rocks.

I'm trying a new-ish tonic water: Cascade. It's a bit expensive, but not as stupidly expensive as Fever Tree. It's also more readily available. I guess this is mostly a PSA for haresfur and, perhaps, our southern brothers in New Zealand (maybe Cascade products are available there). Not at all sweet. Rather bitter. Better than the supermarket brands, Capi and Schweppes (and I'm not outright offended by any of them--I rather like the Schweppes stuff straight, for instance).

EDIT

It works nicely with some West Winds Cutlass.

Edited by ChrisTaylor, 19 October 2013 - 11:54 PM.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#78 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 673 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:16 AM

I'm going to have to try that.

On the apple brandy note, the cool folks at Laird's just mailed me a bunch of swag (post-its, booklets, clothes, etc), not all of which fits. Anyone want an XL black t-shirt with the Laird's logo? 

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

#79 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:51 AM

On the apple brandy note, the cool folks at Laird's just mailed me a bunch of swag (post-its, booklets, clothes, etc), not all of which fits. Anyone want an XL black t-shirt with the Laird's logo? 

Me!  I'm a Laird's fan, I'd love it.

#80 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:56 AM

Damn, I'm too late. How does one get a liquor company to give you free stuff?

#81 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:10 PM

Tonic water on the rocks.

I'm trying a new-ish tonic water: Cascade. It's a bit expensive, but not as stupidly expensive as Fever Tree. It's also more readily available. I guess this is mostly a PSA for haresfur and, perhaps, our southern brothers in New Zealand (maybe Cascade products are available there). Not at all sweet. Rather bitter. Better than the supermarket brands, Capi and Schweppes (and I'm not outright offended by any of them--I rather like the Schweppes stuff straight, for instance).

EDIT

It works nicely with some West Winds Cutlass.

Hey, we're not that southern.  South-eastern, maybe.

I'm not aware of Cascade tonic (and a quick Googling doesn't give any sensible local results).  We have Quina Fina, which some swear by but which I don't find really any different to Schweppes, and Empire Tonic Syrup.  The latter is made from real imported cinchona (I've seen it!) rather than essences or whatever and is much drier/more bitter than anything else.  I was also introduced to anotehr tonic a couple of weeks ago which was difefrent again, but I don't recall the name.  Made by and American from Singapore with a New Zealand connection, if that makes any sense.

Great fan of West Winds Gin.  For the uninitiated, it's made in Margaret River, West Australia.  The Sabre is their 'normal' 40% version; The Cutlass is 50%.  Worth a topic of its own, Chris?

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#82 Adam George

Adam George
  • participating member
  • 497 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:30 AM

I'm going to have to try that.

Wearing big oversized t-shirts with the sleeves rolled up is very hipstery cool around hipstery parts of London

The Dead Parrot
Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Cocktails, Craft Beers, English Wines in provincial Sussex 

#83 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 673 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:28 PM

Damn, I'm too late. How does one get a liquor company to give you free stuff?

Alas, someone claimed it in person before I read these, claiming that an oversized t-shirt was just what she needed to get through winter nights with inadequate heat in this city. I recommended apple brandy cocktails instead. 

Should I ever get swag from a distillery again I'll set some aside for eGullet, however.

And to answer your question Hassouni: 1) Enter a contest sponsored by a generous distillery; 2) lose. Presumably winning would result in even more swag. 

Wearing big oversized t-shirts with the sleeves rolled up is very hipstery cool around hipstery parts of London

Cool, now I know what I'll wear to annoy you when I show up at your bar. 

• judiu likes this

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

#84 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 894 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:28 PM

Thank you. I'd been wondering why people did not find me cool...

Cool, now I know what I'll wear to annoy you when I show up at your bar. 

They are contractually incapable of annoyance while on the job. Even such outlandish garb as an uber-tan and pearls will get you nothing but nice manners. Even ordering a Malibu and Coke.

If you want to get a rise you must try harder.

In any case, you have given away your huge t-shirt now, so the question is moot. 

Edited by Plantes Vertes, 21 October 2013 - 08:33 PM.

#85 bostonapothecary

bostonapothecary
  • participating member
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:23 PM

sparkler

333 ml water

55 ml lime juice

55 ml sour orange juice

111 ml tequila

111 ml special addition yerba mate campari

167 ml rainwater madeira

167 ml plymouth slow gin

7 g/L dissolved gas.

bottler.jpeg

I needed a liter of highly carbonated sparkling cocktail to test my new high pressure liquid transfer bottler adaptation of the champagne bottle manifold.  this drink is in my usual template but some quotients are divided by two to use some odds and ends laying around.  a really great drink. there are all sorts of beautiful overtones and some how it really elevates the yerba mate aroma to prominence. instead of my typical gas injection carbonator that measures the gas with a kitchen scale, this contraption just transfers liquid under pressure from an already carbonated location like a keg or a champagne magnum. in this instance, the liter of cocktail was carbonated in a magnum bottle and then transfer to a few 375's.  the system saves a lot of square footage by using a collar system instead of a large stand that clamps so you can basically fit everything in a drawer behind the bar, but I am trying to design a cradle that allows it to use particular 187's.

abstract expressionist beverage compounder
creator of acquired tastes
bostonapothecary.com

#86 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:30 PM

Rafa has much to answer for, the bounder.  Last night we had his The Man Comes Around again.  It was so good we then had to have another one ...

Trifecta of spousal abhorrence: Mezcal, Spanish brandy, Fernet Branca. We're having it tonight.... ;)

Delivery of Cynar just arrived. Will the drink produce the same effect if using Vida Mezcal and PF cognac? (I know, I know... but I am completely maxed out with respect to my home bar inventory)

#87 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 894 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:51 PM

Look, you just need to get either more money or more space. Problem solved.

#88 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:00 PM

I am starting a kickstarter campaign asap.

#89 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 894 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:08 PM

Crowd-saucing :biggrin:

#90 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:26 PM

Will the drink produce the same effect if using Vida Mezcal and PF cognac?

I'm sure you'll be fine.  Just don't spill any.  And we need full details, with pictures ... of the drink.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory