Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Drinks! (2013 Part 2)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
409 replies to this topic

#391 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,225 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 06:41 PM

Aberlour A'Bunadh! Christmas dram, first taste of it.

Such sherry. Very intense. So malt. Wow. Much delicious

• ChrisTaylor and Rafa like this

#392 scubadoo97

scubadoo97
  • participating member
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 07:17 PM

Afterward, a pour of Four Roses Limited Edition Single Barrel (2012 Edition)...I used to say this was the best bourbon out there that no one really talked about, but that's certainly changing.

Do you know the ABV and recipe of the 4R bourbon?
I do love my Four Roses single barrel selections. Jim Rutledge is a great master distiller and a hell of a nice guy

The 2012 was OESK. Out of town at the moment, but I believe it's in the neighborhood of 110 proof.

I'm a fan of the E low rye mashbills and a big fan of the OESO but then again they are all quite good

#393 bostonapothecary

bostonapothecary
  • participating member
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:47 PM

1 oz. lime juice

1 oz. cocchi aperitivo americano

1 oz. der lachs danzig goldwasser

1 oz. portuguese grappa

swizzled with rock candy swizzle stick grown in rose water

a delicious sour. these swizzle sticks have been sitting around for quite some time so I thought I'd give them a try. previously I had been growing them in alcoholic solutions like Campari or Chartreuse and found that the alcohol hung on to much if not all of the aroma.  when crystals grow they essentially purify things but I thought there might be a chance a non alcoholic solution like rose water might give up some aroma. eh not so much. I guess you have to systematically work your way through these things and this one is another #fail. there is one experiment left and that is to do it with trehalose and not sucrose which has half the sweetening power of sucrose and weird fixative abilities to reduce volatility during evaporation/dehydration. trehalose is the sugar that allows the desert to bloom after 50 years of drought and its in scorpion's blood and prevents them from dehydrating to death in sun. crystal growth is not evaporation but who knows what will happen and it will be nice to experience rock candy that isn't so sweet.

abstract expressionist beverage compounder
creator of acquired tastes
bostonapothecary.com

#394 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:58 PM

Jo, how about making your favourite Mai Tai and adding a float of Black Barrel?  I've never had BB but a float of Gunpowder Rum is pretty terrific on my Mai Tais.

Unfortunately I just saw this after my daiquiri preparation was well under way.  However after reading up on Gunpowder from their website, Gunpowder seems to be a dark, sweet rum -- which Black Barrel is not.  I would say Black Barrel is dry and tannic, although it is a little fruity.

The Black Barrel daiquiri is not undrinkable, but for a daiquiri rum Busted Barrel works much better.  To bring out the best in Black Barrel I think I'll need a different type of drink.

Edit:  rather than clutter up the daiquiri topic -- for comparison I made up a daiquiri with the last of my Barbancourt 5 star.  As good as or better than the Black Barrel in my opinion.  Probably the Barbancourt and Black Barrel will not be replaced.  Both are OK (but not wonderful) for sipping, although I don't know what else to do with them.

I'm really hoping for more suggestions on Black Barrel, as I have a lot of it to get through.  I'm sure it must be good for something.

Well, Gunpowder is certainly dark, but I wouldn't call it sweet.  It's really not a sipper either, unless you have masochistic tendencies; the chilli tends to grab one's tonsils on the way past.  Your description of Black Barrel as 'fruity' again leads me to suggest a Mai Tai float.  Go on - what could it hurt?

Sometimes when trouble shooting one has to try advice that at first glance does not seem reasonable.  In this case the float of Black Barrel certainly does not ruin the mai tai, but nor does it add much to it either (except of course for a lot more alcohol).  So I have to say "not bad but why?"

The recipe was:

1 oz W&N

1 oz Pusser's

1/2 oz Cointreau
3/4 oz lime juice

1/4 oz orgeat

Garnish of spent half lime and float (maybe 3/4 oz) of Black Barrel.  I'm pretty sure my tongue can detect the tannin.  Tannin and tiki are not things that go together in my mind.  At least not in this stage of my education.  And for a float to be effective I think it should be a different color, which Black Barrel is not.  I could see maybe using Lemon Hart...

I thank you very much for the mai tai float suggestion though.  As I'm getting towards the bottom of the glass the tannin is getting more assertive.  Like a young red wine that was meant for laying down.  It was a mai tai that started well but ended not so good.  Probably any other rum I have would have done better as a float.  I think on the whole the Black Barrel worked better in last night's daiquiri, though I'm sure I can do better.  However please keep the suggestions coming.

Black Barrel might work for a drink designed for rye or bourbon.

Edit:  After careful thought I made and am enjoying a Busted Barrel daiquiri.  I know I said I was going to purchase only one desert island rum, but I lied.  I had to go back tonight and get something that I liked (batch 3, bottle 66):

2 oz Busted Barrel

3/4 oz fresh lime juice

1/4 oz feste's syrup

Wonderful!

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker, 27 December 2013 - 09:53 AM.

#395 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:01 PM

1 oz. lime juice

1 oz. portuguese grappa

a delicious sour. these swizzle sticks have been sitting around for quite some time so I thought I'd give them a try. previously I had been growing them in alcoholic solutions like Campari or Chartreuse and found that the alcohol hung on to much if not all of the aroma.  when crystals grow they essentially purify things but I thought there might be a chance a non alcoholic solution like rose water might give up some aroma. eh not so much. I guess you have to systematically work your way through these things and this one is another #fail. there is one experiment left and that is to do it with trehalose and not sucrose which has half the sweetening power of sucrose and weird fixative abilities to reduce volatility during evaporation/dehydration. trehalose is the sugar that allows the desert to bloom after 50 years of drought and its in scorpion's blood and prevents them from dehydrating to death in sun. crystal growth is not evaporation but who knows what will happen and it will be nice to experience rock candy that isn't so sweet.

I use trehalose for making ice cream.  I can't wait to hear of your results!

#396 bostonapothecary

bostonapothecary
  • participating member
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:30 PM

1 oz. lime juice

1 oz. portuguese grappa

I use trehalose for making ice cream.  I can't wait to hear of your results!

do you use it because it is less sweet than sucrose or for any of its super powers?

abstract expressionist beverage compounder
creator of acquired tastes
bostonapothecary.com

#397 haresfur

haresfur
  • participating member
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:31 PM

1 oz. lime juice

1 oz. portuguese grappa

You might try growing the crystals quickly so they trap the aroma in fluid inclusions.  Of course this means you will tend to grow smaller crystals.  Maybe start with nice crystals grown on your sticks then put them in a supersaturated sugar-rose water solution.  You also might try fructose or glucose but I'm not sure if that would help or hurt.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

#398 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:15 AM

do you use it because it is less sweet than sucrose or for any of its super powers?

Because it is less sweet.  But still gives freezing point depression.  So far no scorpions in my kitchen.

#399 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 02:22 AM

Nothing wrong with being gay. Had one of my Mai Tais tonight (with Gunpowder) and my head is ever so slightly spinning, so nothing constructive to add.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#400 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:25 AM

A Manhattan made with Punt e Mes, High West Double Rye and Boker's bitters. 

Initially I was leaning in the direction of the ultra simple: a gin and tonic. Then I considered a Negroni. Finally, I settled on this. A workable drink for a summer's night. I think the High West shines through the Punt e Mes. Given that it's my go-to vermouth and I've probably tried more whiskies with it than I have actually bought other sweet vermouths (there's something sickly sweet about M&R and Cinzano), it's nice to find a whiskey that announces its name so clearly through what is a very robust apertif. I think this is now my go-to Manhattan formula, altho' I reckon it'd be nicer with the peel of an orange cut into some bullshit twirl that'd likely put me in the ER.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#401 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:11 AM

Nothing wrong with being gay. Had one of my Mai Tais tonight (with Gunpowder) and my head is ever so slightly spinning, so nothing constructive to add.

True, but there sometimes is with posting drunk.  On the whole I wish I'd left the Mount Gay on the shelf.  I had confused the Black Barrel that I bought with Extra Black, or whatever it was called, which they released for Mount Gay's three hundreth anniversary.  I can't help but think the product name confusion was part of the marketing.

#402 choux

choux
  • participating member
  • 280 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 06:42 PM

Ramona Flowers from Kindred cocktails, love this drink, a bit bitter, a bit floral, terrible colour though. Strangely looks

pinker in photo than it actually is.

009_zps01b6c01a.jpg

• Rafa likes this

#403 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 03:10 PM

Ramona Flowers is excellent, I agree, and I'm not a Creme de Violette fan.

For the curious, the reference is to a comic character.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

#404 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 687 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 03:17 PM

I like to float the violette/other liqueur and watch her hair change color. 

Edit: based on choux' photo it seems that the R&W violette gives a more purplish color.

Edited by Rafa, 29 December 2013 - 03:18 PM.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#405 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:29 PM

Something new for me tonight.  I've been looking for a way to use up my recent purchase of Mount Gay Black Barrel.  Black Barrel is a rum that tastes to me like whiskey, so I decided to try it in a whiskey recipe:

Cold Whiskey Punch (Imbibe!, p 76)

1 teaspoon sugar, dissolved in a little water

juice of a half lemon (I did not get much juice so I used a whole lemon)

1 1/2 wineglassesful Black Barrel (recipe calls for Red Top Rye)

2 dashes Appleton 12 (recipe calls for rum, Splificator specifies Jamaican)

"Shake well [with shaved ice] and strain into cool stem punch glass.... Serve with a straw"

Wow this is good.  I haden't had anything to eat or drink all day (and I notice from the clock that it is now tomorrow).  I would not have believed Black Barrel would turn into anything so wonderful.  My garnish, as specified, was a lemon slice.  Wonder what this would be like with rye?  But to my knowledge I have never tasted rye, and I am a bit afraid to buy a bottle to find out that I don't like it.

Nice thing about this drink is it makes the level in the Black Barrel bottle go down real fast. The hard part was finding a big enough stem punch glass.

#406 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 05:14 AM

I've been in Tokyo for the past week. I bought a bottle of Yoichi single malt whisky at my little neighborhood grocery store and started mixing. I started with an Old Fashioned with Boker's bitters. Intense. The Yoichi has a lot of smoke and a ton of flavor overall.

11582906584_8b9e7a8696_z.jpg

The next day I stumbled upon a farmer's market and bought a very aromatic dogwood honey, fresh ginger, and a couple of lemons. I thought that, with its smoke, the Yoichi would work well in a Penicillin.

11634477116_539024b6ba_z.jpg

I found a really cool coffee shop/cocktail bar/vintage design store in Shibuya and they made me a textbook perfect Negroni. Also a Whiskey Mac with blended whiskey, stone ginger wine, and lemon peel.

11596705974_c9ca50258e_z.jpg

The next day it was time for a visit to the Park Hyatt for a Lost in Translation moment. We ordered their house Manhattan (Templeton, Carpano Antica, and Abott's bitters), and a Brandy Sour with Earl Gray-infused brandy and fresh yuzu. The cocktails were good; it's too bad that their bad menu is not up to par (fish and chips, mini sliders, etc).

11644572553_be0a199a1e_z.jpg

11644705554_d9fde231c9_z.jpg
  • Rafa and Plantes Vertes like this

#407 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:35 PM

The cocktails were good; it's too bad that their bad menu is not up to par (fish and chips, mini sliders, etc).

Nice typo. :)

Also like the toothpicks-as-chopsticks on the garnish of the drink with Japanese whiskey.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

#408 Vieux Carré

Vieux Carré
  • participating member
  • 54 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:43 PM

To toast out the old year: A Bitter Pill To Swallow

• Rafa likes this

#409 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 687 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:49 PM

To toast out my year, a Martini with Champagne. Robert Hess has something similar he calls a Champagne Antoine. For now I'll call mine a Good Riddance. Cheers to all. 

• Plantes Vertes likes this

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#410 heidih

heidih
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 10,837 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:21 PM

See this topic for Drinks 2014 http://forums.egulle...62-drinks-2014/