Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Drinks! (2013 Part 2)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
409 replies to this topic

#361 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:56 AM

I think I need to get on this white negroni thing everyone keeps talking about...

#362 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,890 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:27 PM

I think I need to get on this white negroni thing everyone keeps talking about...

If you like Negronis (I believe that you do), you owe it to yourself to try a White Negroni. Still plenty bitter, while being lighter in feel. Not a replacement for the "real thing" by any means, but a really great variation nonetheless.

In the PDT Cocktail Book which has Wayne Collins' original recipe, they use 2 oz Plymouth gin so it's a bit less intense, which some people may prefer, and they serve it up.

#363 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 969 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:33 PM

Thanks, PV; I was wondering what Scotch you used. I'm not sure I can get this one over on my wife. She did however like Maks's Red Hook Burning, which surprised me a bit.

I'm thinking that something like Auchentoshan Three Wood and Punt e Mes would make a pretty wonderful Affinity (which is really an equal-parts perfect Rob Roy, right?).

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

#364 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:21 PM

If you like Negronis (I believe that you do), you owe it to yourself to try a White Negroni. Still plenty bitter, while being lighter in feel. Not a replacement for the "real thing" by any means, but a really great variation nonetheless.

In the PDT Cocktail Book which has Wayne Collins' original recipe, they use 2 oz Plymouth gin so it's a bit less intense, which some people may prefer, and they serve it up.

Yeah I just am in liquor thin-out mode after all my glut of rum and single malt purposes, I don't think I can justify getting something entirely new (Suze, in this case)

#365 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:44 PM

Last night a preview of the second Hobbit movie was followed by a trip to the Hawthorn Lounge.  Well, it's just around the corner.

"Do something Tolkieney," we said to Gian.  So he did.  And it was delicious, such that we ended up having three of them between the two of us.

JRR Tolkien.  So Jamaican Rum (Smith & Cross), Ramazzotti and a Tangelo liqueur, with a dash of 'Elemakule Tiki bitters.  Tangelo is a new ingredient for Kindred (sorry, Dan) and it occurred to me to wonder if the fruit was a local phenomenon, but Wiki says it was created in the US around 1911.  The liqueur Gian used was Golden Bay, a local product I hadn't met before, but I'd think something like Curaçao would sub quite well (as long as you could forgive yourself for losing the T).  Or make your own tangelo.

And a quick movie review would be "slow slow quick quick slow".  There are some great action sequences, spectacular scenery and hilarious references to the LOTR movies, but it's an age before it really gets moving and the whole thing is just so long.  Your mileage may vary, but we didn't see the full-on ride that seems to have left some reviewers breathless by the end.

Nice drink, though.

Apparently I can't spell Tolkien.  Thanks, Matthew.

Edited by lesliec, 11 December 2013 - 03:09 PM.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#366 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:05 PM

*cough* It's spelled "Tolkien", not "Tolkein." *cough*

Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#367 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 969 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:37 PM

"Hobbit forming". A new low. Congratulations!

Wait, it gets worse. The Tangelo liqueur is made by .... Schnapp Dragon Distillery.

Edited by EvergreenDan, 11 December 2013 - 07:44 PM.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

#368 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:54 AM

A Ti Punch with Flor de Cana 4. Never had FdC. It's pretty ninja, altho' maybe I prefer Banks. Altho', hey, good luck getting Banks at the local bottleshop in Australia, brother. Still. After pulling a 13 hour day while rabid with disease and having to listen to Christmas carols, this is pretty fucking rad. Of course, Rafa's Skittles-infused turps would be pretty rad at this point too.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#369 stevem13

stevem13
  • general member
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:40 AM

This really looks good and tempting

A cocktail is born ...

Last night felt like a good night (there are no bad ones) to visit our favourite bar, the Hawthorn Lounge in downtown Welly.  While getting ready to go out a name/concept for a cocktail popped into my head, so when we got there I asked Gian to help me create it.  The idea was something smoky with a good bitter element.  With a bit of thought and some ideas from both of us, we had this:

attachicon.gifToast2.jpg

The Nice Bitter Toast.

The smoky bit is Mezcal, the bitter is Cynar (because Gian knows I like it), helped out with tequila, lemon juice, carrot marmalade (because it was there, plus it adds to the toasty vibe), simple syrup and an egg white.  It's probably a little heavy on the lemon to be in my personal Top 20, but I'm notoriously averse to sour so others may like it just as it is.  If we'd had any to hand, I think a sprinkle of toast crumbs on top might have been a nice touch.

[Moderator note: This topic became too large for our servers to handle efficiently, so we've divided it up; the preceding part of this discussion is here: Drinks! (2013, part 1)]

#370 KD1191

KD1191
  • participating member
  • 915 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:51 PM

Tonight, it's a Creole Cocktail...perennial favorite around these parts (or any parts I inhabit for long), suddenly happening more often now that I know my stock of WT101 Rye doesn't have to survive me.

2 oz WT 101 Rye

1 oz Dolin Rouge

1/4 oz Amer Picon (late 70's vintage, natch)

1/4 oz Benedictine (early 80's vintage, just 'cause)

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

#371 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:18 PM

A bar annachan introduced me to in Melbourne calls this drink their own. It seems to be a fairly common thing, though. And, too, the 'house made sarsaparilla' that this bar uses came in a bottle that looked suspiciously like Bundaberg. Anyway, whether they acquired the recipe on a Google trawl or stumbled across it through independent experimentation, it works. And that is, perhaps, enough. A pretty bartendress that nerds out talking about amari and whisky is just a bonus.

60mL Fernet Branca in a high ball glass topped up with decent sarsaparilla (Bundaberg does the trick, funnily enough). 

Edited by ChrisTaylor, 14 December 2013 - 11:21 PM.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#372 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:31 AM

Burning through Karl Ove Knausgaard's My Struggle: A Man in Love while trying to find the perfect matched dram for this very personal, contemplative book. Dalwhinnie 15? Far too fruity. Too light. Too cheerful. Onto the Glenfarclas 15. Suspect I'd be better off with something assertive and a little dangerous and undeniably masculine like Talisker. Although I guess aquavit is probably more geographically appropriate. 

Edited by ChrisTaylor, 15 December 2013 - 03:31 AM.

• Rafa likes this

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#373 Czequershuus

Czequershuus
  • participating member
  • 166 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:25 AM

Had this drink and absolutely adored it last night:

Ash Trey Heart(Erik Ellestad, Beta Cocktail, but I found it quite a while ago in the internet, maybe at KC)

1 Oz Smith and Cross Jamaican Rum

1 Oz Punt e MesSweet Vermouth (Carpano Antica)

1 Oz Dry Vermouth (Noilly Prat)

1 rinse Mezcal(Vida)

Stir and strain into a Mezcal rinsed glass. Garnish with a grapefuit twist(I used a dash of grapefruit bitters)

I found this a truly remarkable cocktail. Extremely well balanced. I would love to try it with the original Punt e Mes, but this worked out super well.

#374 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 05:11 PM

Had this drink and absolutely adored it last night:

Ash Trey Heart(Erik Ellestad, Beta Cocktail, but I found it quite a while ago in the internet, maybe at KC)

1 Oz Smith and Cross Jamaican Rum

1 Oz Punt e MesSweet Vermouth (Carpano Antica)

1 Oz Dry Vermouth (Noilly Prat)

1 rinse Mezcal(Vida)

Stir and strain into a Mezcal rinsed glass. Garnish with a grapefuit twist(I used a dash of grapefruit bitters)

I found this a truly remarkable cocktail. Extremely well balanced. I would love to try it with the original Punt e Mes, but this worked out super well.

Yes, it's on Kindred: http://www.kindredco...-tray-heart?f=1

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

#375 tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2
  • participating member
  • 704 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:20 PM

Brought cocktail fixin's to a holiday party this weekend and the hit of the party seemed to be the "In Bloom" from Paul Calvert. If I remember correctly it includes:

1.5 Vida Mezcal

3/4 Carpano Antica

1/2 St. Germain

1/2 Compari

Rosewater rinse

Flamed orange peel

Stir first four with ice and strain into rosewater rinsed coupe. Flame orange peel over drink and discard.  

Smoke, bitter, sweet and floral. Had a little bit of everything!

Edited by tanstaafl2, 16 December 2013 - 02:23 PM.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

#376 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:11 PM

I'm having what is becoming a favorite refreshment:

juice of one meyer lemon

1 oz orgeat

3 oz Appleton 12

couple dashes Angostura

Shaken, strained over fresh crushed ice in a mai tai tumbler.  Garnished with a spent half meyer lemon.  Since I have no Laird's in house, as an homage I've been calling this Autumn in Jamaica.  I had been garnishing with mint, but in this drink I don't think mint adds much.  And the mint color doesn't work.

#377 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:36 AM

One of my first attempts at homemade bitters was bottled recently and I decided to get a little creative. Not terribly, so. The roots of this are, I think, obvious.

Die Bible and Die Rifle

Chill a serving glass, Sazerac-style.

Meanwhile, in your mixing vessel, combine some cane syrup (enough to form a film over the bottom of the glass), three or so dashes of homemade Boer bitters (heavy on the coriander and allspice), about three drops of Habanero shrub and a scant  drop of liquid smoke. Combine this with two ounces of South African brandy: not the rotgut you'd mix with Coke but not the stuff aged to resemble liquid oak. Stir with ice and then strain into the chilled glass. 

This is a work in progress but I am pleased so far. The smoke and chilli work nicely with the coriander notes. 

• haresfur likes this

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#378 Czequershuus

Czequershuus
  • participating member
  • 166 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:59 PM

An Ancient Mariner tonight, based on the recommendation int he Mai Tai thread that Goslings may do in a pinch for a Demerara Rum

Ancient Mariner

1 Oz Demerara Rum (Goslings Black Seal)

1 Oz Jamaican Rum (Smith & Cross)

0.25 Oz Allspice Dram (Homemade)

0.75 Oz Lime Juice

0.5 Oz Grapefruit Juice

0.5 Oz Simple Syrup

Shake with ice and strain into a rocks glass over fresh ice.

Very tasty. I love how the tiny amount of allspice shines through and ties it all together. Too many of those and a man might be liable to shoot an albatross. 

• Rafa likes this

#379 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 646 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:16 PM

3/4 oz Irish Whiskey, Redbreast 12
3/4 oz Palo Cortado sherry
3/4 oz cinnamon syrup
3/4 oz lime

Yum.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#380 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:35 PM

hard times call for hard liquor.

Killed off a bottle of Mount Gay Eclipse Black. Just like Mount Gay killed it off. What a shame.

#381 bostonapothecary

bostonapothecary
  • participating member
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:31 PM

.75 oz. tabasco aromatized gin 

.75 oz. agavales gold tequila

4.5 oz. fresh 100% grapefruit squirt soda (carbonated 7 g/L)

this is really fun high ball stuff.  the grapefruit soda is easy to make and wildly amusing. we always keep a handle of cheap 100% agave tequila in the house because we have to make so many drinks for people and somehow ended up with the scary gold version, but its totally enjoyable. you never really know until you are forced into it.

abstract expressionist beverage compounder
creator of acquired tastes
bostonapothecary.com

#382 cdh

cdh
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 04:31 PM

Playing with my crock of Diep9 oude genever and have found a tasty one:

1.5oz genever,

barspoon Ferrand curacao

barspoon Pineau des Charents

squeeze lime

stirred over ice

Edited by cdh, 20 December 2013 - 04:31 PM.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

----- De Gustibus Non Disputandum Est

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

#383 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 894 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:40 PM

Bensonhurst was our Flatmas drink (we made the recipe below).

2oz Rittenhouse BIB rye

1oz Noilly Prat

0.25oz Luxardo maraschino

1bsp Cynar

Chad Solomon, Pegu Club 2006

002 (640x480) (2).jpg

I'm going to try the alternative formula another time; this drink was not exactly right for my taste to start off although it grew on me. Initially it struck me as a tiny bit aggressive and too piquant. Will use Dolin as recommended and see what transpires.

What is Flatmas, you all are dying to learn? That is our flat's celebration of domestic content. It falls just a bit before the other thing...

Edited by Plantes Vertes, 20 December 2013 - 11:45 PM.

• FrogPrincesse, lesliec and Rafa like this

#384 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,890 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:14 AM

The Bensonhurst looks really nice Plantes Vertes. I have no idea why I haven't tried that one yet; I tried to visit most of the Brooklyn neighborhoods, but missed that one apparently. Happy Flatmas to you, and Happy Festivus to the rest of us.

Apple Spice Mule at Luce, a local restaurant. Meh. Nice copper mug, but too much ginger beer and not enough bourbon. Their Gin Gin Mule rendition is better.

11467616186_815f7ed26e_z.jpg

Tiki and the Pyrats (Michael Mas, ECC): Jamaican rum, lemon juice, falernum, Laphroaig, absinthe.

Another meh. The falernum tried to bridge the gap between the rum and the Laphroaig, but did not succeed. The absinthe (St. George) got lost in the mix.

11473417416_0a2672c574_z.jpg

Moving on to our maple series.

Starting with the inspiration, the Applejack Rabbit from the Savoy Cocktail Book (made with the specs from PDT, but I substituted Calvados for applejack). Calvados, orange and lemon juice, maple syrup. All the ingredients enhance the apple flavor from the calvados. Very nice.

11489719993_d28d2176b9_z.jpg

For those of us who enjoy bitter things, Follow that Black Rabbit (Kristian Kramp): London dry gin, Fernet-Branca, orange and lemon juice, maple syrup. It's the digestif version of the above.

11489644194_074c47c680_z.jpg

Lionheart: calvados, rye, maple syrup, allspice dram, Angostura bitters. Closely related to the American Trilogy and its applejack/rye combo. The Lionheart enhances the spice in the calvados rather than the apple. I feel that it would be better with an older calvados that can better stand up to the other ingredients.

11506850455_847bae444b_z.jpg

Red Maple Swizzle: Smith and Cross overproof Jamaican rum, lemon juice, maple syrup, Peychaud's bitters.

Gorgeous aroma from the S&C, very drinkable... Delicious, as most things made with S&C.

11506938983_f65d9ec650_z.jpg

Don Lockwood (Abraham Hawkins, Dutch Kills), an Old Fashioned with bourbon, Islay scotch, maple syrup, mole bitters, and an orange twist. I did not know that Dutch Kills had recipes printed on their menu; this is cool even though it's not up to date.

Anyway, I don't know what Islay scotch they use at Dutch Kills, but pairing bourbon with Laphroaig is not an easy task. This is a slow sipper for sure, because the Laphroaig overwhelms at first. Not bad, but I suspect that my choice of brands may not have been optimal.

11524786053_abb464bea9_z.jpg

I am still scratching my head about the name. It's Gene Kelly's character in Singin' in the Rain, but what is the connection? Maybe it's that glorious feeling...

Edited by FrogPrincesse, 24 December 2013 - 11:37 AM.

• Rafa and Plantes Vertes like this

#385 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:32 PM

New to me today was a bottle of Mount Gay Black Barrel. I was attracted by the pretty bottle shape, and at the moment I am sampling a "small taste" of it neat, which gives the excuse to employ a lovely crystal port glass. No mistake on the naming. It sure tastes like barrel on the finish. Not like any rum I can remember. But not unpleasant in the slightest.

Black Barrel is fine for sipping, however I want to make something from it and I need suggestions. I don't think a daiquiri or a mai tai would work. Please help with ideas! In addition to rum I have on hand limes, lemons, Angostura, ice, orgeat, syrup, Cointreau (which apparently is owned by the same company as Mount Gay so maybe they mix well), Slivovitz, and not much else.

I'm begining to feel why Ben Franklin listed "Been at Barbados" as a proper synonym for "As Drunk as David's Sow".

#386 KD1191

KD1191
  • participating member
  • 915 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 08:42 PM

Tonight it was Tom & Jerry, of course. It's become a Christmas Eve tradition.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

#387 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 08:29 PM

New to me today was a bottle of Mount Gay Black Barrel. I was attracted by the pretty bottle shape, and at the moment I am sampling a "small taste" of it neat, which gives the excuse to employ a lovely crystal port glass. No mistake on the naming. It sure tastes like barrel on the finish. Not like any rum I can remember. But not unpleasant in the slightest.

Black Barrel is fine for sipping, however I want to make something from it and I need suggestions. I don't think a daiquiri or a mai tai would work. Please help with ideas! In addition to rum I have on hand limes, lemons, Angostura, ice, orgeat, syrup, Cointreau (which apparently is owned by the same company as Mount Gay so maybe they mix well), Slivovitz, and not much else.

I'm begining to feel why Ben Franklin listed "Been at Barbados" as a proper synonym for "As Drunk as David's Sow".

Jo, how about making your favourite Mai Tai and adding a float of Black Barrel?  I've never had BB but a float of Gunpowder Rum is pretty terrific on my Mai Tais.

My eG Foodblog

#388 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 09:34 PM

Jo, how about making your favourite Mai Tai and adding a float of Black Barrel?  I've never had BB but a float of Gunpowder Rum is pretty terrific on my Mai Tais.

Unfortunately I just saw this after my daiquiri preparation was well under way.  However after reading up on Gunpowder from their website, Gunpowder seems to be a dark, sweet rum -- which Black Barrel is not.  I would say Black Barrel is dry and tannic, although it is a little fruity.

The Black Barrel daiquiri is not undrinkable, but for a daiquiri rum Busted Barrel works much better.  To bring out the best in Black Barrel I think I'll need a different type of drink.

Edit:  rather than clutter up the daiquiri topic -- for comparison I made up a daiquiri with the last of my Barbancourt 5 star.  As good as or better than the Black Barrel in my opinion.  Probably the Barbancourt and Black Barrel will not be replaced.  Both are OK (but not wonderful) for sipping, although I don't know what else to do with them.

I'm really hoping for more suggestions on Black Barrel, as I have a lot of it to get through.  I'm sure it must be good for something.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker, 25 December 2013 - 10:02 PM.

#389 Czequershuus

Czequershuus
  • participating member
  • 166 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 11:30 PM

As Christmas draws to a close I find myself relax and sipping a Martinez for a Nightcap, utilizing one of my favorite presents, Boker's Bitters.

1.5 Oz Old Tom Gin (Haymans)

1.5 Sweet Vermouth (Carpano Antica)

0.25 Oz Maraschino (Luxardo)

2 ds Boker's Bitters

Yummy. These bitter are far different that I was expecting. Much less spicy than ango, but more bitter. The flavor is closest to the Breckenridge Bitters(Potable) that I bought a while ago. Very nice, and plays super well with the Antica. It tames some of the vanilla notes that I often find overwhelming. Super excited to try these in other applications. 

#390 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 06:30 PM

Unfortunately I just saw this after my daiquiri preparation was well under way.  However after reading up on Gunpowder from their website, Gunpowder seems to be a dark, sweet rum -- which Black Barrel is not.  I would say Black Barrel is dry and tannic, although it is a little fruity.

The Black Barrel daiquiri is not undrinkable, but for a daiquiri rum Busted Barrel works much better.  To bring out the best in Black Barrel I think I'll need a different type of drink.

Edit:  rather than clutter up the daiquiri topic -- for comparison I made up a daiquiri with the last of my Barbancourt 5 star.  As good as or better than the Black Barrel in my opinion.  Probably the Barbancourt and Black Barrel will not be replaced.  Both are OK (but not wonderful) for sipping, although I don't know what else to do with them.

I'm really hoping for more suggestions on Black Barrel, as I have a lot of it to get through.  I'm sure it must be good for something.

Well, Gunpowder is certainly dark, but I wouldn't call it sweet.  It's really not a sipper either, unless you have masochistic tendencies; the chilli tends to grab one's tonsils on the way past.  Your description of Black Barrel as 'fruity' again leads me to suggest a Mai Tai float.  Go on - what could it hurt?

My eG Foodblog