Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Robert Capon dies: A loss to us all

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Hatfield

Dave Hatfield
  • participating member
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:10 AM

Please read the obituary of Robert Capon (http://www.economist.com/obituaries) who died last week.

Robert could well have acted as the patron saint of eGullet. His opinions and approach to food are what, I believe,  many of us strive towards in our attitudes and approach to food. It something to think about as eGullet goes through the current troubled times.

May he rest in peace.

#2 Ashen

Ashen
  • participating member
  • 517 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:37 PM

wow.. I love this quote.. 

" “The realm of the irreplaceable is no place to count cost,” he wrote in “Supper of the Lamb”, a metaphysical treatise on cooking published in 1967 and popular ever since. "

I will have to find Supper of the Lamb  now. 

"Why is the rum always gone?"
Captain Jack Sparrow

#3 David Sundstrom

David Sundstrom
  • participating member
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:16 PM

I didn't know who Robert Capon was before you'd posted this.  I do now, and I'll know more soon.  You've created a new fan, posthumously.

Thanks.

#4 SylviaLovegren

SylviaLovegren
  • participating member
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:01 PM

Supper of the Lamb was one of the first "foodie" books I ever bought. Capon seems to have lived long and well. Thank you, friend.

#5 janeer

janeer
  • participating member
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:10 PM

time to re-read. Share his commitment to pocket knives and carbon steel