Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Ideas for appreciation gifts for chefs

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 JeanneCake

JeanneCake
  • participating member
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:41 PM

I need ideas for corporate gifts this year; last year I gave the chef at each of my biggest accounts an engraved Kunz sauce spoon, which was very much appreciated.  This year, I want to do something similar but I don't know how to top last year's gift.  With the possible exception of the perforated Kunz spoon, but honestly, how often are you using a perforated spoon?

So...Any ideas? 

What kind of thing would you want to have in your bag of tricks at work?

#2 Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock
  • society donor
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:46 PM

I have, on occasion, longed for a tastevin. That might be too unrelated for you, though. I also use my refractometer quite a bit, but, I mostly do pastry type things. If they do modernist dishes, they might like a pocket jeweler's scale fo weighing out tiny amounts of ingredients.

#3 David Hensley

David Hensley
  • participating member
  • 140 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:19 PM

Is there a price point involved? I can think of many things I'd love to have, but price is always an issue....

I'm a lifelong professional chef. If that doesn't explain some of my mental and emotional quirks, maybe you should see a doctor, and have some of yours examined...

#4 JeanneCake

JeanneCake
  • participating member
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:52 AM

I know what you mean about price; the spoons were great because it wasn't "too much" (they were $10 each) but enough so that they would not have bought it for themselves.  So while I can't afford to spend $50 each on something (i again need about a dozen), a list would be a very good thing :)  The tastevin would be good for the venue director since she mostly deals with the wine inventory but I don't have a lot of interaction with her; and they don't do any modernist dishes :(

#5 janeer

janeer
  • participating member
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:40 PM

Would have said a Thermopen but that is getting up there. Everyone might have them, but if not a microplane suits every cook, from garde manger to pastry. A beak parer is a handy extra to have, as is a little circular wire egg whisk, two of my fave items for all kinds of tasks. Metal chopsticks, which might be engraved. Etc

#6 azmilsyahmi

azmilsyahmi
  • participating member
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:21 PM

I agrree with Janeer a thermopen is a great gift for chefs. Its very usefull to most chefs. They can put in the pocket so you have ensure your website address is visible. Apart for them a small set of knifes with your company logo engraved is also a great gift

#7 hongda

hongda
  • participating member
  • 111 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:19 AM

Wood paddles?

http://shop.ruhlman....ia-wood-paddles

#8 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,246 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:31 AM

if they dont already have this book:

http://www.amazon.co...e de la cuisine

i love it.  sort of a BusMan's Holiday !

#9 JeanneCake

JeanneCake
  • participating member
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:53 PM

I like all of these suggestions!  I wish the thermapen was cheaper, maybe I just buy for the execs and do something else for the chef de cuisines.  The book looks *really* cool, the same for the paddles (the spoons I mentioned for last year's gift had the chef's name engraved on them so they couldn't get "lost" ;) and the paddles would have space on the handles for their names......

#10 JeanneCake

JeanneCake
  • participating member
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:25 PM

so any ideas on (genuine) thermapens at the best price? So far all I've found is $96 on the thermoworks site, if you buy 5, it's $85/each.

#11 janeer

janeer
  • participating member
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:51 PM

Watch for a Thermopen open box sale, when prices drop below $70. They could have one before Xmas
  • JeanneCake likes this

#12 ermintrude

ermintrude
  • participating member
  • 451 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:41 AM

A good pepermill could be an option such as http://www.unicornmills.com/ the mini mill around $20

Edited by ermintrude, 09 October 2013 - 06:42 AM.

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

#13 janeer

janeer
  • participating member
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:11 AM

not the open box sale I mentioned, but this sale email arrived today. Still high for Thermopens, but I used to have a timer like their new timestick and loved it, so that's a nice possibility. Could still be a further sale before Xmas.

#14 JeanneCake

JeanneCake
  • participating member
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:20 PM

Hmmm... I might have to include myself in this gift list ;)  One of the intended recipients says he's not a gadget chef and likes home made things, but since I'm a pastry chef, that's like bringing coals to Newcastle....  thank you for posting this, much appreciated!

#15 janeer

janeer
  • participating member
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:11 AM

Thermoworks has just announced an open box sale for their Thermopen

#16 janeer

janeer
  • participating member
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:20 AM

3-day private sale: $85 for red Thermopen http://thermoworks.c...ed-Thermapen-cs

#17 paulraphael

paulraphael
  • participating member
  • 2,970 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:59 PM

What about something consumeable? People are picky about their tools, and you never know if they already have the thing you're picking out.

Who wouldn't like a nice bottle of wine or scotch or something?

I wanted to get a thank-you present for a pastry chef, and thought maybe wine, but I knew he worked at a place with one of the best wine cellars in the whole country. So I got him a bottle of Belgian Lambick. They go with desserts, and I knew there was nothing like it on the restaurant menu. It wasn't hard to find advice on a great one in my price range.