Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Making Ravioli Without Making Dough

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31 Franci

Franci
  • participating member
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:45 AM

Just cook one!

#32 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,449 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:09 AM

im very interested in the filling people find work well with this technique.

and are tasty too !    :biggrin:

#33 Unpopular Poet

Unpopular Poet
  • society donor
  • 175 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:29 AM

2013-12-13 19.55.22.jpg 2013-12-13 20.09.52.jpg 2013-12-13 20.16.55.jpg

So, despite the doubts I had initially, these turned out absolutely amazing.  They were not so uniform, or very pretty, but the end result was fantastic.  These are not the greatest pics in the world, but I can say that the end result was a tender and flavorful skin which just so delicately held the filling at bay.  Next time I will probably chop the spinach finer but besides that I don't think I would have any changes.  Thanks again to everyone for their assist on this one.  --Dan

Edited by Unpopular Poet, 14 December 2013 - 10:29 AM.

• judiu and gfweb like this

#34 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,449 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:52 AM

thank you for the pics above.

as soon as I find the flour this is going to be an ongoing project, which is surprising as i detect no Sous Vide technique at all !

:biggrin:

ps  the tomato sauce looks terrific also !

pps:   im wondering is this technique would work for traditional American croquette stuffing:

turkey/stuffing     ham/cheese   thus avoiding the frying step?  a thick white sauce as a binder?   then the sleep in the flour?

• judiu likes this

#35 Franci

Franci
  • participating member
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:48 PM

Dan, so glad it worked! If you like the spinach finer, I pulsed the chopped spinach with the grated cheese in the mixer, few times, very nice and uniform green cheese.

Rotuts, I think anything that is creamy enough and not crumbly should work.

Edited by Franci, 14 December 2013 - 01:02 PM.

• judiu likes this

#36 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 03:07 PM

Why is durum necessary?

#37 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:42 PM

It isn't. I've done it with semolina.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#38 Unpopular Poet

Unpopular Poet
  • society donor
  • 175 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 12:05 PM

Well, I made the Gnudi for Xmas Eve dinner but changed the filling to be potato, pumpkin and cheese (Parm and ricotta) and a touch of Nocello-- then we made a tomato and butter sauce to go with them and garnished them with T Keller's Parsley Chips -- The only time I had a chance for a pic was when they went into the bowl.  They were pretty incredible, and played nicely with our themed Italian/Scandinavian Xmas Eve.  Swedish Meatballs, Gnudi, Potato Sausage with cabbage, fresh made apple sauce.  Strange, but it definitely worked -- We accomplished what we set out to do -- make a pasta that could sit next to Swedish food and still have a semblance of Italian in it.  I would say that the gnudi were significantly more filling than the spinach and ricotta, but the tomato butter sauce really helped keep them from being too rich.  We also used the butter from the Swedish meatballs and deglazed the pan with some pino grigio to add to the tomatoes before the sauce hit the vitamix.  Worked really well.

Attached Images

• 2013-12-24 20.47.41.jpg

• judiu, gfweb, rotuts and 1 other like this