Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Best no-sugar chocolates?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 SpaghettiWestern

SpaghettiWestern
  • participating member
  • 97 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:27 PM

Can anyone please recomend a brand of No Sugar chocolates.  I want something good to give to a diabetic friend.

i know rocky mountain chocolates makes some good ones but i am not near one at the moment.  i am in the philadelphia area.

She likes chocolate covered english toffee and chocolate covered dark carmels or coconut pieces. i have tried the Ashers brand and they are ok....  if anyone else has any suggestions for stores... or online shops that sell good stuff.... please let me know.

thanks

#2 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:53 AM

I've not tried 'em, but they may be worth a try.

http://www.harryandd...CFed_QgodaxgAGQ

.... Shel

#3 SpaghettiWestern

SpaghettiWestern
  • participating member
  • 97 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:16 PM

I've not tried 'em, but they may be worth a try.

http://www.harryandd...CFed_QgodaxgAGQ

Hey Shel ..... those look great !  thanks

#4 la.april

la.april
  • participating member
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:34 AM

You should check out Dante Confections. It is Stevia chocolate with a decent taste ;)

#5 SpaghettiWestern

SpaghettiWestern
  • participating member
  • 97 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:08 PM

You should check out Dante Confections. It is Stevia chocolate with a decent taste ;)

Hey thanks..... i just checked out the site.... this looks like really good stuff !

#6 Franci

Franci
  • participating member
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:34 PM

My preferred 100% chocolate: Francois Pralus, I love it!

#7 rlibkind

rlibkind
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:16 PM

If your friend says she likes diabetic chocolates without sugar by all means get them for her.

But unless you know she enjoys these, do not assume she will.

Many people without diabetes think that diabetics must absolutely avoid sugar. This is not true. What diabetics need to pay attention to is the total number of carbohydrates that they consume. Sugar is just one carbohydrate. Carbohydrates are also contained in fruit, bread and most other foods you can think of (the major exceptions being fats and pure protein foods).

I would rather pass up on the non-sugar version. None are satisfactory. Instead I limit my consumption of high quality regular chocolate rather than avoid them.

Of course , if I need a laxative , the non-sugar chocolates work great, since that's a side-effect of the sugar alcohols used to manufacture them.

Obviously each individual diabetic has to make his or her own choice. But there's no law that says diabetics must avoid sugar.

Again, if you know as fact that your friend enjoys non-sugar chocolates, get them. But if you're just making an assumption, don't.
Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

#8 rlibkind

rlibkind
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:30 PM

For all my spewing above, it sounds like the stevia types might be worth a try. Still, half of one of the stevia bar has 6 grams of carbohydrates; one Godiva truffle has 10. Not a huge difference. Your choice.
Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

#9 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:40 AM

Ashers from Souderton, Pa

http://www.ashers.com/sugar-free/

They have even more at their store call and get some shipped
Wawa Sizzli FTW!

#10 SpaghettiWestern

SpaghettiWestern
  • participating member
  • 97 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:40 AM

my friend LOVES the diabetic chocolates and knows all about what they can do to the system.  i dont know all about her diet but i do know that she does eat plenty of nuts and some fruits. i am sure shes aware of the carb issue with foods. i dont think she would like the idea of real chocolate with sugar.

i know she does eat some sugar but as a rule.... she seems to like to stay away from it,

anyway... thanks for your posts.... i really appreciate all the suggestions

#11 mgaretz

mgaretz
  • participating member
  • 738 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:13 PM

Trader Joes