Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Food funnies

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Keith_W

Keith_W
  • participating member
  • 578 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:13 PM

I haven't seen a jokes thread on eG, so to cut down on the seriousness a little I thought I would start a thread on food funnies :)

I'll kick off with this video on Youtube, about "crimes against Braai":

http://www.youtube.c...T2ZGLliuuQ#t=61

• Plantes Vertes likes this
There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

#2 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 878 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:30 PM

Nice, Keith.

I'd been thinking along similar, lighten-the-mood lines.  From the 'lost in translation' files, here's a sign near my local supermarket.  Thing is, I know exactly what they mean ...

S_S.jpg

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#3 pastameshugana

pastameshugana
  • society donor
  • 401 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:50 PM

Our first week living in Bangalore, we took the kids to a great steak place called The Only Place. The kids got quite a laugh when the waiter asked if we wanted 'wedgies' with our steak.
PastaMeshugana
"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."
"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father
My eG Food Blog (2011)

#4 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 878 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:15 PM

Bacon.jpg

Bacon.  Contains meat.

Who'da thought?

• judiu and David Hensley like this

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#5 jonwig100

jonwig100
  • participating member
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:38 AM

UK members will probably have seen the BBC TV series 'Masterchef', featuring ultra-competitive would-be chefs who are driven to produce perfection in an atmosphere filled with tension.

Like this ...

• Keith_W, PSmith and ltimmis80 like this

#6 dcarch

dcarch
  • participating member
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:19 PM

Here is one, hope to give you an extra smile for today.*

dcarch

BROTH.jpg

*Moderators, cartoons posted by me are all my own work No copyright issues.

• kayswv, Porthos, heidih and 3 others like this

#7 Ashen

Ashen
  • participating member
  • 424 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:09 PM

when  I saw the MC video I thought it was the buttery biscuit base remix .   for those that havn't seen it. 

Edited by Ashen, 20 September 2013 - 05:11 PM.

• Keith_W, SylviaLovegren and PSmith like this
"Why is the rum always gone?"
Captain Jack Sparrow

#8 heidih

heidih
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 10,648 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:18 PM

Enjoying

To each his own: http://www.gocomics....18#.UjzlkIasifM

and like some humans making a gastronomic mountain out of a molehill: http://www.gocomics....19#.UjzmuIasifM
  • Darienne likes this

#9 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,531 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:10 PM

One of my favorites...

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#10 David Hensley

David Hensley
  • participating member
  • 127 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:50 PM

I think this series is quite good, myself...I also think the girl is quite cute, for some reason...

• Dakki likes this

I'm a lifelong professional chef. If that doesn't explain some of my mental and emotional quirks, maybe you should see a doctor, and have some of yours examined...

#11 Ashen

Ashen
  • participating member
  • 424 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:17 PM

omg.. I can't stop watching those episodes.. the my drunk chicken episode is my fav so far

"Why is the rum always gone?"
Captain Jack Sparrow

#12 Dakki

Dakki
  • participating member
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:15 PM

1237137_754641931231929_1370714858_n.jpg

• judiu, Smithy, janeer and 2 others like this
This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

#13 Dakki

Dakki
  • participating member
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:45 PM

I think this series is quite good, myself...I also think the girl is quite cute, for some reason...

This is the best. Thanks for linking it.

For some reason I feel like I'm watching outtakes from Veronica Mars?

• judiu likes this
This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

#14 Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense
  • participating member
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:22 AM

This is one I actually keep in my phone's memory banks to play for the annoying holier than thou vegans I encounter.

• catdaddy, judiu, Keith_W and 2 others like this
Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.
My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

#15 dcarch

dcarch
  • participating member
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:38 PM

Seems like we need another funnies.*

dcarch

Lobsterhothere.jpg

*Again, Moderators, cartoons are my work. No copyright issues.

• Smithy, MelissaH, Rico and 2 others like this

#16 Mjx

Mjx
  • host
  • 5,670 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:44 AM

A 'spillehal' is a game arcade, not what you'd generally describe as a cosy or welcoming place. However, this one, at least, does have what strikes me as a charmingly Danish (and fairly amusing) take on the whole concept: the sign at the bottom (Altid kaffe på kanden samt kage/brød) notes that there is always a pot of coffee and cake/bread.

Attached Images

• Spillehal.jpg

• judiu likes this
Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Host, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

#17 Alex

Alex
  • participating member
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:48 PM

Feed the fish...

Get Fuzzy, part 1

Get Fuzzy, part 2

---------------------------

Calvin, on vegetables

Edited by Alex, 29 September 2013 - 09:56 PM.

Gene Weingarten, writing in The Washington Post about online news stories and their readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"A vasectomy might cost as much as a year’s worth of ice cream, but that doesn’t mean it’s equally enjoyable." -Ezra Dyer, NY Times

#18 tug

tug
  • participating member
  • 137 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:28 PM

These are two of our favorite mockumentary food related webisodes.

Posh Nosh (English)

and

Audrey's Kitchen (Australia)

• judiu, SylviaLovegren and David Hensley like this
Peter: You're a spy
Harry: I'm not a spy, I'm a shepherd
Peter: Ah! You're a shepherd's pie!

- The Goons

live well, laugh often, love much

#19 PSmith

PSmith
  • participating member
  • 170 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:02 AM

Excellent - I love a bit of food humour.

I posted an example on my blog yesterday - not for the easily offended.  

http://www.thecriticalcouple.co.uk/

http://www.thecriticalcouple.co.uk

Latest blog post - Oh my - someone needs a spell checker

#20 Rico

Rico
  • participating member
  • 266 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:58 AM

Got a big kick out of this one  ...  

• Keith_W and David Hensley like this

#21 dcarch

dcarch
  • participating member
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 07:48 PM

Happy Thanksgiving all!

dcarch

Turkeydarkmeat_zps37cbd026.jpg

• Smithy, lesliec, Xilimmns and 1 other like this

#22 Mjx

Mjx
  • host
  • 5,670 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:23 AM

The lobster rebellion

'. . . .I believe that Mother Nature gave us eyes because she did not want us to eat this type of food. Mother Nature clearly intended for us to get our food from the "patty" group, which includes hamburgers, fish sticks and McNuggets -- foods that have had all of their organs safely removed in someplace far away such as Nebraska. . . .'

(Dave Barry, Miami Herald, 28 January 1996 and  31 March 2014)

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Host, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

#23 Anna N

Anna N
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:13 AM

The lobster rebellion
'. . . .I believe that Mother Nature gave us eyes because she did not want us to eat this type of food. Mother Nature clearly intended for us to get our food from the "patty" group, which includes hamburgers, fish sticks and McNuggets -- foods that have had all of their organs safely removed in someplace far away such as Nebraska. . . .'
(Dave Barry, Miami Herald, 28 January 1996 and  31 March 2014)

Excellent! Thanks for the link. Won't put me off lobster though. But he's so right about oysters!
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#24 Alex

Alex
  • participating member
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:56 AM

In 1995, David Foster Wallace took on an assignment from Harper's to write about a voyage on a Carribean cruise ship. The article was published in 1996 as "Shipping Out." It was later retitled as "A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again", as the title essay in his 1997 collection. As might be expected, there are several passages about food and dining. Here's just one footnote (DFW was fond of footnotes):

This is counting the Midnight Buffet, which tends to be a kind of lamely lavish Theme-slash-Costume-Partyish thing, w/Theme-related foods -- Oriental, Carribean, Tex-Mex -- and which I plan in this essay to mostly skip except to say that Tex-Mex night out by the pools featured what must have been a seven-foot-high ice sculpture of Pancho Villa that spent the whole party dripping onto the mammoth sombrero of Tibor, Table 64's beloved and extremely cool Hungarian waiter, whose contract forces him on Tex-Mex night to wear a serape and a straw sombrero with a 17" radius and to dispense Four Alarm chili from a steam table placed right underneath an ice sculpture, and whose pink and birdlike face on occasions like this expressed a combination of mortification and dignity that seem somehow to sum up the whole plight of postwar Eastern Europe.

Essay, part one   Essay, part two

And to echo Dave Barry's article referenced in Mjx's post, Wallace wrote a piece in 2004 for Gourmet -- "Consider the Lobster" -- which begins with the Maine Lobster Festival, and the eating of lobsters in general, then turns to the ethics involved in storing and killing lobsters. There's not much overt humor in the article, but he gets in a few good zingers, such as:

In fact, one obvious project of the MLF, and of its omnipresently sponsorial Maine Lobster Promotion Council, is to counter the idea that lobster is unusually luxe or rich or unhealthy or expensive, suitable only for effete palates or the occasional blow-the-diet treat. It is emphasized over and over in presentations and pamphlets at the Festival that Maine lobster meat has fewer calories, less cholesterol, and less saturated fat than chicken.*

*Then, in a footnote (!), he writes: Of course, the common practice of dipping the lobster meat in melted butter torpedoes all these happy fat-specs, which none of the Council’s promotional stuff ever mentions, any more than potato-industry PR talks about sour cream and bacon bits.

Gene Weingarten, writing in The Washington Post about online news stories and their readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"A vasectomy might cost as much as a year’s worth of ice cream, but that doesn’t mean it’s equally enjoyable." -Ezra Dyer, NY Times

#25 Anna N

Anna N
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:36 PM

Only in Canada you say? Perhaps someone could have called an air ambulance to get this lobster home? A lobster? C'mon you're kidding right?

http://www.680news.c...et-flight-home/
  • rotuts likes this

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#26 Anna N

Anna N
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:14 AM

Well the lobster has truly "gone home".

http://www.cp24.com/...ciety-1.1758713

My 2004 eG Blog