Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

How Do You Feel About Buying and Using e-Cookbooks?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#61 hattermad

hattermad
  • participating member
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:35 AM

In general I prefer my paper cookbooks - there's something about looking up at a shelf of books for inspiration, pulling one down that takes my fancy and then leafing through to find an old recipe I might need reminding about.

That said, I have both paper and e-versions of 'Modernist Cuisine at Home', and I use it on the iPad far more - the additional enhancements to the e-version make me reach for it every time. If it was identical to the paper version but on the ipad, I doubt that woul dbe the case.

So...both, in their place?

#62 nakji

nakji
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 3,659 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 05:11 PM

I have tried to cook from ebooks, but I find it uncomfortable. Ideally, I wish my whole collection were electronic, because I move quite often, and not having to ship a large collection of heavy books from country to country would be an improvement over my current state. That's why I have moved my music and general book collection over to electronic format. That being said, I downloaded a sample of "Jerusalem" when it was released, and it just felt strange, somehow, reading a cookbook that way. I have Dorie Greenspan's app for "Baking, …", but it actually doesn't have the recipes I like from that book, and for some reason, the videos leave me cold. 

I also like being able to have a bookshelf full of books to page through and get inspired by. Not only for the decor/cosy value, but also because I don't "browse" my ebook collection. And having the books there means that other people in my home who cook can access them, too.

#63 Mary Janova

Mary Janova
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:12 AM

I love cooking but I own only one cookbook that was given to me by my mother. I find recipes online and those that I like, are stored in a folder on my hard drive. 

I like using e-books and apps too. I recently got a lovely cooking app called 20 minute meals and I really enjoy cooking recipes from there at least twice a week.