Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Pickles Without Vinegar

Vegetarian

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#31 David Ross

David Ross
  • host
  • 3,324 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:58 PM

Two weeks later and unfortunately, my pickling without vinegar experiment didn't result in a decent pickle.  Nice and crisp and they retained a lot of color.....but the flavor?  Way too salty, not "sour" and pretty much inedible. 

I used this recipe http://www.marksdail.../#axzz2gnclCg9U, loosely covering the jars and storing them in a dark cupboard for three days before putting them in the fridge.  I'm thinking the first problem was that the pickles never started to ferment, they didn't sit in a room temperature environment long enough and fermentation never started before they were put in a cold fridge. Secondly, I'm wondering if the addition of citric acid to keep the pickles crisp halted the fermentation process? 

012.JPG

015.JPG

017.JPG

I'm turning to this recipe from Sara Dickerman that appeared in the October, 2011, issue of Saveur, http://www.saveur.co...eserving-Plenty.

The ratio of salt to water is the same in both recipes.  But the difference comes in the fermentation-

Mark-

Loosely set the lid on top of the jar and let the pickles ferment on the counter for 3-10 days before refrigerating, (One of my fatal mistakes.  I only let my pickles ferment 3 days).

Sara-

Don't cover the pickles, just put a bag filled with water on top of the jar to weigh the pickles down and let them ferment at room temperature, (ideally 70-75 degrees), for 3-4 weeks.

#32 David Ross

David Ross
  • host
  • 3,324 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 04:56 PM

My next attempt to make a "sour pickle" without vinegar turned to the recipe from Sara Dickerman that appeared in the October, 2011, issue of Saveur, http://www.saveur.co...eserving-Plenty.

For every 1 1/2lb. of pickling cukes, use this ratio of brine-

1/2 cup dill

1 tsp. whole black peppercorns

10 cloves garlic, peeled

5 dried chiles

1 fresh grape leaf (optional)

6 tbsp. Kosher or sea salt

6 cups filtered water

Now remembering that a precious heirloom was sitting on the counter holding my spoons and spatulas, I turned to the crock that most likely came from my Aunt Bertie Pink's home.  Aunt Bertie most likely used this crock for pickles or sauerkraut and it rings in at about 110 years of age.  The lid is long gone, but given the recipe calls for simply covering the crock with a kitchen towel, I was in business.

Aunt Bertie's pickle crock-

010.JPG

The dill and aromatics are packed in the bottom of the crock-

017.JPG

The cucumbers are packed on top fo the aromatics, then the brine is poured in-

025.JPG

A plastic bag is filled with water and placed on top of the pickles to keep them submerged in the brine-

029.JPG

Now what is quite the difference with this recipe is that the pickles sit on the counter at room temperature, (ideally at 70-75), for up to 4 weeks.  We'll see how sour the pickles get!

#33 David Ross

David Ross
  • host
  • 3,324 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:09 PM

Well, the pickles fermented on the counter for one month.  The result?  Decent sour flavor, a bit too salty, still not as good as Bubbles commercial brand.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Vegetarian