Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Vietnamese Pickled Small Eggplant (Aubergine) Recipe?

Condiments Vegetarian

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 loki

loki
  • participating member
  • 124 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:12 AM

I am growing small eggplants (I'm trying several varieties that are early - even some other related species) this year and hope to make a condiment I purchase at a Vietnamese / Cambodian market nearby. I suspect these are popular all over Southeast Asia. It's pickled small whole eggplants in a sweet and sour sauce with quite a bite.  They are crunchy and addictive.  They make a great addition to meals, Southeast Asian or not, especially with rice.  Here's a link to a site that sells them http://www.shoptheea...1299161316.html Vinegar is missing from the ingredients, and I'm pretty sure it's there - or they fermented them (but they don't seem too fermented to me).

There are actually several types I've bought, some with shrimp, some with fish, all are good.  I want to make the simplest version first. If I get no response I'll post my experiments.  I've found what seems a similar recipe for just shrimp (it has the same ingredients listed on the jar). 

#2 takadi

takadi
  • participating member
  • 412 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:19 AM

My grandmother makes these all the time and they keep forever. I have no idea what she uses for the brine, but it seems like it's some mixture of fish sauce, salt, sugar, and vinegar, with a few chili peppers thrown in

#3 loki

loki
  • participating member
  • 124 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:58 AM

Well, I did not have great success with growing these types of eggplants.  This year I also cut down on what I grew so did not even try.  So I don't have an update on making these.  I am growing some orange eggplants - variety is called Cookstown Orange - which is a different species (not Solanum melongena, but it's questionable which species it actually is).  I may try to make some version of this with these.

#4 loki

loki
  • participating member
  • 124 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:31 AM

I finally have the results...  I used the green cherry tomatoes instead of the eggplants. The texture is different but the taste is there, and it's pretty good. I found Vietnamese recipes out there and I translated and used my pickling knowledge to fill in the mistranslated parts. I also added my own changes to make it suit me. One of the key steps is a natural ferment which produces the sourness (not vinegar - lactic acid fermentation). This is very like my favorite sweet gherkin recipe - except the spices/flavorings are very different!  The original recipes call for red chile, but I had fresh green and used that instead.  I think I could make the other types of this condiment based on this recipe - some have shrimp, some soy products, etc.

http://forums.egulle...ckled-eggplant/

• Smithy likes this

#5 Smithy

Smithy
  • host
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:41 PM

Thanks so much for persevering, and for posting your results! 

Question: if using green cherry tomatoes instead of the little white eggplants (admittedly rare), do you still pierce and/or cut the tomatoes, or leave them whole? 

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Condiments, Vegetarian