Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Help Choose From So Many Food TV Shows

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,299 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:32 AM

no worries   i capped them all back in the day and have then on a HD.

I can see how he might rub people one way or another.   but that show was very much about real regional Italian.

Edited by rotuts, 14 August 2013 - 10:32 AM.

#32 Twyst

Twyst
  • participating member
  • 294 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:41 PM

I gave up on FN when they announced their upcoming season and Alton Brown's boney visage was shown mugging as the host . . . AGAIN.

I've been watching the BBC's cooking shows, especially their version of Master Chef.  It's so refreshing to have competent judges (with 2 Michelin stars, so actually cred), competitors without attitude, weird hairstyles or sleeves of tattoos, who actually listen to the criticism/praise of the judges without getting a case of the ass about it and pronouncing the judges to be wrong to the camera in the Confessionals.

Ive been watching MC Professional on BBC as well and it's easily my favorite cooking show right now.  Not sure Michelin stars are a good way to rate the judges though.  I think the judges on master chef US are not so great as judges, and Graham Elliot has 2 stars and Gordon Ramsay has 16 (most in the world) including a three star restaurants and a couple of 2 stars.

Edited by Twyst, 14 August 2013 - 08:03 PM.

#33 annabelle

annabelle
  • participating member
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:16 PM

You're right, Twyst.  I was referring more to the judges on Top Chef.  Owning a restaurant or several doesn't make one the authority, as Tom C. demonstrates each season.

I'm loving the BBC MC Professional, as well.  I love all the care in technique and plating.  Classical training is a thing of beauty to watch.

• gfweb likes this

#34 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,645 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:20 PM

I like that Canadian woman ...Laura something...who cooks French-ish food. Quirky in a Julia-like way and much better to look at.

#35 Twyst

Twyst
  • participating member
  • 294 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:51 PM

Laura Calder

#36 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,299 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:20 AM

new BBC show:  Incredible spice men

http://www.telegraph...Two-review.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk.../episodes/guide

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/b0394f74

learned a lot from the first show on selecting ginger etc

seen both chefs several times on other BBC shows.

need Internet savy or understanding on working iPlayer.