Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

New Sainsaire $199 Sous Vide circulator on Kickstarter

Modernist

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#31 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 4,674 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:36 PM

we all hope to hear from you after you get the item and put it through its paces.

#32 tobiasash

tobiasash
  • participating member
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:52 PM

I have backed this on Kickstarter due to all the above reasons and very reasonable shipping rates to send outside the US.

I did have some questions about using large pots and what techniques the Sainsaire team used to reduce evaporation over longer cooking times or at higher temps as the pot lid would not fit around their device.

The reponses from Sainsaire have been really fast.  Scott responded and said that for the average home cooking scenario with  lower cooking temperatures and shorter cooking times e.g under 70C and less than three hours, evaporation has not proved to be an issue.  For longer cooking times and at higher temperatures, he reccomended either a layer of ping pong balls or layer of cling film. 

I am really looking forward to getting my unit and finally being able to attempt some Sous Vide cooking

#33 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 4,674 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:47 AM

no news on when someone is actually going to get one of these?

#34 DiggingDogFarm

DiggingDogFarm
  • participating member
  • 732 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:00 PM

Anticipated release date: November 18, 2013.

Current draft of the Sansaire user manual.

~Martin

Unsupervised rebellious and radical farmer, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, nonconformist and contrarian who questions everything!

#35 shellyschachter

shellyschachter
  • participating member
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:03 PM

Does anyone know how to contact Sansaire other than an email to info@sansaire.com?

They have not answered several emails re: my order and account.

Thanks.

Shelly

My cookbook, Feeding Alice: A Love Story is available at www.shellyskitchenpress.com

#36 cdh

cdh
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:27 PM

They have been responsive on the comments page at kickstarter.  Perhaps a note posted there that says "Yo!  I've been waiting a week for you to read your email and get back to me about my order..."  would spur some response.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

----- De Gustibus Non Disputandum Est

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

#37 shellyschachter

shellyschachter
  • participating member
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:06 PM

I did get a reply today and am reassured that my order is in their database, but the web site still does not recognize my email address.

Hopefully this will be resolved so that I can access my account.

Shelly

My cookbook, Feeding Alice: A Love Story is available at www.shellyskitchenpress.com

#38 cdh

cdh
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:50 AM

Looks like we're getting delayed for a retooling.  Hope the 60 day push is all that's needed to get these out to us.

#39 jmolinari

jmolinari
  • participating member
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:00 PM

Looks like we're getting delayed for a retooling.  Hope the 60 day push is all that's needed to get these out to us.

sounds like every other kickstarter project, ever.

I would be surprised if anyone is surprised by this.

#40 cdh

cdh
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:53 PM

All too true.  Better to wait for a well engineered product than to be beta testers. I am still looking forward to getting mine whenever it arrives.  (Just crossing my fingers that it is not subject to Nomiku type delays.)

#41 Morkai

Morkai
  • participating member
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:23 AM

I had the Sansaire ordered, and canceled upon news of this latest pushback. I guess these things are to be expected, but I planned to use mine for the holiday season. I went with the Anova. 

I have to admit, though I understand the need for a delay, and I understand the idea that this should be "expected," I am still a little annoyed at the way Sansaire is conducting business. When a company gives you an expected ship date of November 18th, they should inform you of a two month delay well before November 17th. The fact that the delay wasn't even emailed to those of us who pre-ordered, but instead posted on their blog the day before the announced ship date made the switch to Anova much easier. 

#42 chriscook

chriscook
  • participating member
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:28 AM

The fact that the delay wasn't even emailed to those of us who pre-ordered, but instead posted on their blog the day before the announced ship date made the switch to Anova much easier. 

I received an emailing explaining the delay. Perhaps you opted out of updates on kickstarter?

I also have the Anova, but I'm thinking/hoping the Sansaire is going to be a more stable product. I don't see any certification stickers on the Anova, so I'm doubting they went through as thorough a process as Sansaire seems to be doing.

I've only had the Anova for about a week. It works well enough, but it's a bit quirky (touch screen is finicky, random reboots, etc.).

#43 Morkai

Morkai
  • participating member
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:18 AM

The fact that the delay wasn't even emailed to those of us who pre-ordered, but instead posted on their blog the day before the announced ship date made the switch to Anova much easier. 

I received an emailing explaining the delay. Perhaps you opted out of updates on kickstarter?

I also have the Anova, but I'm thinking/hoping the Sansaire is going to be a more stable product. I don't see any certification stickers on the Anova, so I'm doubting they went through as thorough a process as Sansaire seems to be doing.

I've only had the Anova for about a week. It works well enough, but it's a bit quirky (touch screen is finicky, random reboots, etc.).

I pre-ordered it on their website, but wasn't part of the Kickstarter crowd. I just rechecked my e-mail and my spam folders but didn't receive anything. I know I wasn't an early adopter like those on Kickstarter, but I would hope I am still deserving of an e-mail! It may have been a simple oversight, but it's still disappointing to have to go looking for myself to be let down. 

Random reboots? Is that a common problem on the Anova? That indicates a massive food safety issue. I've been looking through the Anova thread and haven't come across that yet. That's a little unnerving!

Edited by Morkai, 19 November 2013 - 09:45 AM.

#44 chriscook

chriscook
  • participating member
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:44 AM

The reboot thing only happened once. Well, twice in a row. It came up to temperature, then shut down and restarted. Then shut down again and restarted. I pressed start and it began circulating again. It hasn't happened again in the 4 or 5 hours it's run since then. I have no idea what caused it. Perhaps it was just the power cord wasn't in tight or something. I'll post back if I see it again.

#45 piyoman

piyoman
  • participating member
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:13 PM

I found the power cord of the Anova to be quite stiff so if it's sitting at the wrong angle in relation to the appliance it can get a bit tight and awkward to work with.  As it's just a common 3 prong computer power cable I may just replace it with a thinner gauge more pliable one I have lying around.  Hopefully with yours it's simply a loose connection causing the reset and nothing more.

#46 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,858 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:03 PM

Ah - the turning off thing - happened when I lit my gas stove.   I guess my kitchen GFI was too sensitive to power fluctuations. Plugging the Anova in to a power bar solved that problem.  

#47 scubadoo97

scubadoo97
  • participating member
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:32 PM

For long unattended cooks I plug into a USB power supply in case of a temporary power failure. I don't think any of these devices have an auto restart after a power interruption

#48 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 882 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:25 AM

For long unattended cooks I plug into a USB power supply in case of a temporary power failure. I don't think any of these devices have an auto restart after a power interruption

Should that be UPS (= Uninterruptible Power Supply)?

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#49 scubadoo97

scubadoo97
  • participating member
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:14 AM

Yeah that too :-). UPS

#50 horseflesh

horseflesh
  • participating member
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:23 AM

Well, I'm not happy with the delay, but I am going to stick it out. I like the design of the Sansaire better than the Anova... I don't care for the touch screen, plus the Sansaire guy is a friend of a friend. 

Fortunately I didn't promise anyone SV for Thanksgiving!

#51 cdh

cdh
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:57 PM

W00t!  Sansaire's first batch went into the containers today.  So they're on the slow boat from China now, and will be with us soon, hopefully!  Can't wait to play with mine when it gets here.

• stckciv likes this

#52 Andrew Tseng

Andrew Tseng
  • participating member
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:22 PM

Hi there,

I've been lurking here for a while.  First time posting.  I just received my Sansaire in the mail, so I'll be cooking up something for Valentine's Day tonight.  I don't go as in-depth with the scientific analysis of things, but I'll be happy to report my general experiences after I've used it a few times.  If anybody has any questions (again, probably better in the general sense), I'll do my best to answer them here.

The Sansaire is replacing a Sous Vide Supreme, and most of my sous vide stuff gets sealed with a FoodSaver V3835

• cdh and gfweb like this

#53 stckciv

stckciv
  • participating member
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:36 AM

How did the Sansaire do for you Andrew? 

#54 Andrew Tseng

Andrew Tseng
  • participating member
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:19 PM

How did the Sansaire do for you Andrew? 

I've only been able to use it twice so far, but it went swimmingly both times.

I used it in a 12 qt. Cambro for salmon and chicken.  I actually underestimated the size of the Sansaire, which I think people have mentioned has the largest footprint in its class.  I tried to set it up in a Le Creuset 9qt dutch oven, but in a container that size, there is barely enough space for the food.

Relative to the Sous Vide Supreme, the Sansaire heated the water much more quickly.  Not necessarily an apples-to-apples comparison, as I was able to use less water w/ the Sansaire.  I imagine the circulation of the water helps the heating speed.  The strength of the water circulator is quite strong, and in the cambro container, the pressure is being blasted straight into the food.  I don't know if that will have any effect on the result.

Moving from the SVS, ease of use in the controls, ease of use in its portability, speed, and better accuracy all leave me as a happy camper.  I've only used it for short lengths.  Over the weekend, I'll use the Sansaire in a 48-hour cook and report back.

• teonzo likes this

#55 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,858 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:26 PM

Can you adjust the direction of the water stream?  If so, pointing it back towards the container helps prevent the blasting.

#56 EnriqueB

EnriqueB
  • participating member
  • 268 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:50 AM

SousVide Supreme does restart, remembers the target temperature, and continues cooking.

I've read Anova has added it also as a configurable option.

Other units I have or know about do not restart.

#57 scubadoo97

scubadoo97
  • participating member
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:12 AM

Nice upgrade to the Anova. It seems like such an important function. I never understood why so many left it out. Well for now I'll keep using my UPS which should give me a 4 hr window if we lose power

#58 EnriqueB

EnriqueB
  • participating member
  • 268 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:37 AM

I`ve asked several makers, food safety is always claimed as the reason for not restarting: you may not be aware how long the power interruption lasted, and depending on tne temperature drop safety may be compromised.

I do not like it neither. I want that the power outage is shown somehow in the unit (by lighting a led or something) and then be me who decides whether to throw away the food or not.

And that's why I always use my SVS Demi for long cooking times, and reserve my SWID and eiPot for other dishes.

#59 Coogles

Coogles
  • participating member
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:25 AM

SousVide Supreme does restart, remembers the target temperature, and continues cooking.

I've read Anova has added it also as a configurable option.

Other units I have or know about do not restart.

I have not tested this but the Nomiku manual says that it will resume after a power outage, remember the set point and display an icon on the screen to alert you know of the interruption.

#60 Andrew Tseng

Andrew Tseng
  • participating member
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:56 PM

Can you adjust the direction of the water stream?  If so, pointing it back towards the container helps prevent the blasting.

The direction is opposite the location of the clip, so you can't really adjust the direction per se, but I think I will move the Sansaire to the corner of the container, and place the food to the side.

In a round pot, it's a bit unavoidable, unless you don't use the clip (which I think is a bad idea).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Modernist