Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Tipping for takeout

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 lindag

lindag
  • participating member
  • 347 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:33 AM

I frequent a local Papa Murphy's take-and-bake pizza place quite often.  I tip $1 for my (usually $12 or so pizza) because:

I always call ahead and order by phone, and my pizza is ALWAYS ready when I arrive, and it is always perfectly made, and the employees are very courteous and pleasant.  Otherwise I don't usually tip for a take out order unless something was out of the ordinary.

#32 annabelle

annabelle
  • participating member
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:23 AM

You have a personal relationship with this pizza place and the OP does as well with the take out places she frequents.  I do not.  Therefore, I do not leave a tip for the person who hands me my coffee and points me to the salad bar.

#33 Lupinus

Lupinus
  • participating member
  • 86 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:10 PM

Depends.

At the local place where I get take out frequently and they know me? Sure. My order is always correct, it's always ready when I get there, and unless there's a new person behind the counter they know me when I walk in the door. So I toss them a couple bucks.

But that's the exception. My general rule is that I don't tip for take out.

Delivery is another story and I tip for delivery. But for places that charge a delivery fee or someplace that is litterally right down the street I don't usually tip as much as I would had there been no fee or the drive is going to take longer than a minute or two.

#34 DTBarton

DTBarton
  • participating member
  • 970 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:17 AM

I tip at full service restaurants where a bartender or server handles the order. Typically 10%. 

I also tip at carryout places where there is a tip jar and where I am a regular or  where the counter person goes out of his/her way. Usuallly a buck, maybe two. I figure it is a long term investment on future orders. I always tip baristas for the same reason.

I agree with Holly, that's about my philosophy.  I'll tip a little extra at places where I'm a regular and routinely get good food/service.  I generally believe that folks that work at restaurants probably aren't getting rich and they work hard so a little gratuity from people who can afford to take out dinner seems appropriate.