Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Cook-Off 63: Summer Squash

Vegetarian Cookoff

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#121 David Ross

David Ross
  • host
  • 3,250 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:50 PM

I've been going through my vintage cookbooks and to my surprise, there are few recipes for summer squash in my 1917 and 1927 editions of the Fannie Farmer Cookbook.  I suppose early twentieth century cooks just knew how to prepare the produce out of their home gardens. Most of the recipes are for fried, boiled or baked squash with little more than salt and pepper, sometimes a dash of white sugar. 

I did find an interesting recipe for "South American Zucchini" in the 1944 edition of The Good Housekeeping Cookbook-

2lbs. zucchini

2 slices bacon, diced

3 tbsp. minced onion

1/3 c. minced green pepper

1 8oz. can tomato sauce

1/2 tsp. "bottled thick meat sauce"

1 tsp. granulated sugar

1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. pepper

Obviously the tastes back then didn't like much seasoning.  That's a pretty small measure of salt and pepper for 2 lbs. of zucchini.  I suppose the "bottled meat sauce" was something along the lines of A-1 Steak Sauce, but a 1/2 tsp. of the stuff would barely be noticeable.  Maybe they called for meat sauce for the tangy element.

• judiu likes this

#122 SylviaLovegren

SylviaLovegren
  • participating member
  • 987 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:05 AM

I've been going through my vintage cookbooks and to my surprise, there are few recipes for summer squash in my 1917 and 1927 editions of the Fannie Farmer Cookbook.  I suppose early twentieth century cooks just knew how to prepare the produce out of their home gardens. Most of the recipes are for fried, boiled or baked squash with little more than salt and pepper, sometimes a dash of white sugar.

Grew up in farm country in the Pac NW in the US and the first time I had zucchini was about 1960 -- an aunt brought a can of it (Hunts, I think, canned with tomato and onion) to her beach cottage. None of us had ever heard of it and we all thought it was awful. Don't think I ever saw the stuff again until the 1970s, when it became very popular with us hippies...and everyone else!

Out of curiosity, I just looked at my 1950 Betty Crocker CB, which is what my mom cooked out of, and there is one recipe for zucchini or summer squash -- the directions are to boil for 30-60 minutes! In contrast, there are 5 recipes for parsnips...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Vegetarian, Cookoff