Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Hawaii food culture

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mothersruin

mothersruin
  • participating member
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:34 AM

We're looking to travel to Hawaii in March next year and I was wondering whether there is anything like a credible or good luau experience available? One that isn't totally tourist?

I realise the inherent contradiction in this - a luau being something family and friends would share in private, and that the concept of going to a commercial or paid one slightly defeats the purpose of this - but I wonder if there are any out there which are actually good either from a food sense, or which don't just put on tourist naff. So many I have seen are at hotels which I imagine are more the latter.

Any tips or experiences would be appreciated. We're spending most of our time in Maui and the Big Island, on the Hilo side.

#2 lindag

lindag
  • participating member
  • 417 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:08 AM

We've made many, many trips to the Islands over the years and, frankly, I'd skip the luau and just go for a really nice dinner somewhere. 

• mothersruin likes this

#3 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,446 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:17 AM

I'd first ask which island/s you're going to visit.

"And you, you're just a stinker."

#4 mothersruin

mothersruin
  • participating member
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:41 AM

Maui for the wedding, then the Big Island on the Hilo side for the rest of our time there Jaymes. 

#5 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 4,006 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:15 AM

I've not been to a luau that wasn't bad. Bad food, uber-touristy show. Even at big, expensive hotels.

#6 Mjx

Mjx
  • manager
  • 6,576 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:48 AM

From what I've heard, the family element is the only outstanding, special element of a luau, and if that connection isn't there, there's really nothing. The foods that are served you can still sample in other settings, if you're really keen on that.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

#7 mothersruin

mothersruin
  • participating member
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:55 PM

That's a fair call folks - I've always thought a commercial luau would be, well, commercial. Thanks for your help!