Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Dinner! 2013 (Part 4)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
554 replies to this topic

#61 Baselerd

Baselerd
  • participating member
  • 459 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:08 AM

Probably doesn't need to be said -  but that lobster dinner looks fantastic mm84321. Here's a little after-dinner cheese plate:

Délice de Bourgogne, candied almonds, cherries, almond crumble, strawberry fluid gel, and freeze dried strawberries. 

tumblr_mqqfvyTexu1rvhqcjo1_1280.jpg

One of my daughter's favorite cheeses. Better than butter is the tag line at our house. 

Yeah it was actually the first time I've tried it. I thought it was quite good - extremely creamy.

#62 Franci

Franci
  • participating member
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:15 PM

Very Ottolenghish dinner: two of his recipes contemplating feta and zereshk: chicken thighs and couscous cakes. Loved the cakes.

image.jpg

#63 furzzy

furzzy
  • society donor
  • 175 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:07 PM

Tonight for dinner we had eggplant rolls a la Norma
attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Oh my - would you be good enough to tell about this? What filling? Cooked how? etc...thanks

#64 heidih

heidih
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 10,740 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:41 PM

Tonight for dinner we had eggplant rolls a la Norma
attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Oh my - would you be good enough to tell about this? What filling? Cooked how? etc...thanks

furzzy - Franci explained it a bit further up:

Thanks Emily, yes, the rolls have spaghetti inside. I think this is one of the many reinterpretations of pasta alla norma. 
I cooked really al dente some spaghetti ( de cecco, only 3 minutes) and sauteed in a bit of tomato sauce for a minute more, so the pasta could absorb some of the sauce. You need to keep it quite al dente or it will overcook. I sliced and salted the eggplants, rinsed them and dip-fried. I poured a bit of tomato sauce in a oven pan and started to assemble my rolls: slice of eggplant, a bit of grated ricotta salata (which I didn't have and replaced with Turkish white cheese), a bit of the spaghetti and a spoonful more of sauce if necessary and a leaf of basil, rolled and placed in the pan, keeping the rolls tight. A light drizzle of sauce, some grated ricotta salata and it went in a very hot oven to get some browning, just 10-15 minutes, watching it would not get dry. It is best it let it rest until it's warm.

#65 furzzy

furzzy
  • society donor
  • 175 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:51 PM

All this talk of lamb lately gave me a craving.  Hence: roast spring lamb with red-wine and mushroom gravy, mashed potatoes, and asparagus.

attachicon.gifLamb.jpg

Panaderia Canadiense Going to let my ignorance hang out here. Question about "spring lamb" - I've only been able ever to get "spring" lamb in the spring, mostly mid-spring. Also, since we like domestic lamb far better than that sourced from Aussie/New Zealand, my guess has been that the lambing takes place in Feb/Mar - & maybe Apr - and I'm looking for 6-8 wk lamb, never frozen. I just ordered a rack from D'Artagnan, fresh. I'm eager to hear your input - on anyone's.

Please be kind enough to disabuse me of anything where I'm wrong.

#66 furzzy

furzzy
  • society donor
  • 175 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:53 PM

beef chuck ribs on the smoker all day..  pulled at 195 F internal temp.  done very simply with cherry wood smoke a   dry rub and apple cider based spray mop.     side of baked beans..  Bush's  not homemade though. 

chuckribs3_zps5443b964.jpg

What are chuck ribs?

#67 dcarch

dcarch
  • participating member
  • 2,330 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:05 PM

Dcarch, I'm deeply jealous of your pandan sole.  And can you give us a process for the rice puff shells?  Those look like something I'd like to try with quinua.....

Thanks, PC. I was able to source some frozen Pandan leaves.

Rice crispy shells; Really nice to make, great for snacking too.

1. Cook rice in flavored water, like chicken stock or beef stock.

2. Let rice cool down, then sandwich rice in between two sheets of produce bag plastic.

3. Use a rolling pin and roll rice into a thin sheet about two grains of rice thick.

4. Completely dehydrate the sheets of rice.

5. Deep fry the sheets. The rice puff up very quickly in hot oil.

6. Remove the rice sheets, careful not to make them too brown. Drain the sheets on paper towel.

7. while the sheet are still very hot, you can bent and form them into shapes.

dcarch

#68 scubadoo97

scubadoo97
  • participating member
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:08 PM

Rico, great color on your steak

#69 Ann_T

Ann_T
  • participating member
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:58 PM

Nicolai,  Great photo.

Grilled%20Prime%20Rib%20July%2030th%2C%2

Small presalted Prime Rib.  Grilled. 

Grilled%20Prime%20Rib%20July%2030th%2C%2

Just big enough for two.

• judiu and Franci like this

#70 Rico

Rico
  • participating member
  • 269 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:59 PM

Im always interested in Chuck.  if you do this again, Id love to see the piece pre-cooked.  its always a challenge to figure out just what muscle groups you get in 'Chuck'  vis a vis the '7-bone' cut which I use to get back then and look for the blade muscle.

I certainly will - I'm in pretty good with these fellas, too, so they'll likely take the time to explain exactly how and from where on the animal they're cutting it; they're one of the few whole-animal butcher shops in the area, and are always eager to talk shop. 

Scuba - Many thanks! Though I must admit it likely has more to do with the quality of meat than anything I might have done to it. Basically, all I had to do was make sure I didn't screw up the searing part!

#71 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:09 PM

That prime rib looks incredible.

• judiu likes this

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#72 Nicolai

Nicolai
  • participating member
  • 254 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:23 AM

Nicolai,  Great photo

Focal Length
11.1mm

Exposure
1/50s

ISO

Thank you Ann.

Your photos are very appealing as well.

I forgot to post the Mise en Place

_DSC7281-2.jpg

muhamara.com

#73 Ashen

Ashen
  • participating member
  • 466 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:03 AM

beef chuck ribs on the smoker all day..  pulled at 195 F internal temp.  done very simply with cherry wood smoke a   dry rub and apple cider based spray mop.     side of baked beans..  Bush's  not homemade though. 

chuckribs3_zps5443b964.jpg

What are chuck ribs?

Chuck ribs are short ribs  from the chuck primal.. specifically rib bones 1-5   although this rack  only had four bones.   It makes me wonder if the butcher sneaks bone 5 into  a prime rib roast to get a bit more money for it.   :hmmm:

Edited by Ashen, 31 July 2013 - 02:58 AM.

"Why is the rum always gone?"
Captain Jack Sparrow

#74 Baselerd

Baselerd
  • participating member
  • 459 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:53 AM

That prime rib looks delicious. Nice photography too.

Here's something I made out of The Uchi Cookbook recently:

Hamachi sashimi, apple-curry gastrique, kimchi oil, dehydrated apple chips, dehydrated fennel chips, shaved fennel, green apple slices, fennel pollen.

tumblr_mqs83yhaIL1rvhqcjo1_1280.jpg

• judiu likes this

#75 chefmd

chefmd
  • participating member
  • 166 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:10 AM

Baselerd, Wow!

Makes me want to run to my dehydrator and start making fennel chips.  Also, your hamachi looks exquisitely fresh.  I need to start reading Uchi cookbook.

#76 Baselerd

Baselerd
  • participating member
  • 459 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:39 AM

Thanks - the fennel chips were pretty tasty, and very easy to make. The recipe has you slice the bulb as thinly as possible (I used a mandoline), brush with simple syrup, and dehydrate overnight. I set my dehydrator to 120 F, seemed to work well without discoloring the chips, and i layed them between two mesh sheets to keep them flat during the process. Luckily, there's a sushi restaurant near me that doesn't mind selling some of their sashimi meat in blocks. If it weren't for that, I don't think I would even be able to get Hamachi (unless I ordered online). 

#77 Steve Irby

Steve Irby
  • society donor
  • 215 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:00 PM

Baselerd - What a great looking dish. And thanks for the tip on drying the fennel. Was the apple pressed also?  I tried to dry some apple slices with mixed results with a little bit to much warping and browning for a nice presentation.    Do you think a little lemon juice in a simple syrup would work?  

#78 C. sapidus

C. sapidus
  • participating member
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:47 PM

Gertie’s crabcakes, homemade Tartar sauce, sweet corn boiled with milk, and salad (with iceberg lettuce - younger son’s favorite).

p1791548968-4.jpg

#79 Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense
  • participating member
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:26 PM

All this talk of lamb lately gave me a craving.  Hence: roast spring lamb with red-wine and mushroom gravy, mashed potatoes, and asparagus.

attachicon.gifLamb.jpg

Panaderia Canadiense Going to let my ignorance hang out here. Question about "spring lamb" - I've only been able ever to get "spring" lamb in the spring, mostly mid-spring. Also, since we like domestic lamb far better than that sourced from Aussie/New Zealand, my guess has been that the lambing takes place in Feb/Mar - & maybe Apr - and I'm looking for 6-8 wk lamb, never frozen. I just ordered a rack from D'Artagnan, fresh. I'm eager to hear your input - on anyone's.

Please be kind enough to disabuse me of anything where I'm wrong.

I'll point out for starters that I live in Ecuador, and that our seasons are a bit different.  It's currently spring (or rather it's a spring-esque lambing season in Salasaka, where the lamb in question came from) and hence what I ate was spring lamb.  The neat thing about this country, though, is that when it's no longer "spring" in my province, it will be "spring" in neighbouring Bolívar or in another close province.  This boils down to spring lambs, milk fed and between 6 and 8 weeks old, being available here almost year round....  It's a unique advantage to living this close to the equator and at such a high altitude.

I also suspect that many of the breeds found in the highlands close to my markets are year-round rather than seasonal breeders (whereas in Canada at least the seasonal breeders are more common), which means that here in Ecuador not only do I get the rather abundant and delicious spring lambs (and my butcher is very precise about what she calls the lamb she sells) but also very tender and tasty milk lambs in the non-spring seasons.

Up in the nothern hemisphere, spring lambs are born either in late winter or early spring (so February-April or so) and must be sold before July 1 to qualify.  Anything else between 6 and 8 weeks but born in a different lambing season is milk lamb, which is very similar in flavour and texture, although in my experience milk lambs tend to be just a tad stronger tasting than spring ones.

• furzzy likes this
Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.
My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

#80 alankar

alankar
  • participating member
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:11 PM

Great!

#81 Steve Irby

Steve Irby
  • society donor
  • 215 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 04:49 AM

C. sapidus - Delicious looking crab cake.  I wish it were Steve's crab cake. You know it's going to be good when you can't see any binder.   

#82 mm84321

mm84321
  • participating member
  • 735 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:31 AM

Ann, lovely looking prime rib. I like the addition of tomatoes with beef; the acidity really helps cut the richness.  

#83 Baselerd

Baselerd
  • participating member
  • 459 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:19 AM

Baselerd - What a great looking dish. And thanks for the tip on drying the fennel. Was the apple pressed also?  I tried to dry some apple slices with mixed results with a little bit to much warping and browning for a nice presentation.    Do you think a little lemon juice in a simple syrup would work?  

Thanks. I used Granny smith apples, and shaved them paper-thin on a mandoline. Then I coated them with simple syrup, dehydrated at 105 F overnight (pressed between two mesh sheets again). Mine did not discolor. Seems like lemon juice would work.

I also used this food preservative from time to time (I didn't with these chips though) - it is essentially just ascorbic acid/vitamin, which prevents browning of vegetables. You can usually find the stuff in supermarkets, and to use it I just dissolve it in a small amount of water and brush onto the fruits.

#84 pastameshugana

pastameshugana
  • society donor
  • 406 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:35 AM

I also got a lamb craving after the posts up thread. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any good lamb around here ever.

Then I went to the aforementioned laughable excuse for a farmers market and found one gem. A young sheep armed who is absolutely passionate about his lamb. He waxed eloquent about feeding, raising, proper times for slaughter and keeping the meat, cuts and everything else relevant.

I jut had to buy something from him. Unfortunately all that was left by the time I arrived was some stew meat. I tossed it in a dressing of Spanish olive oil, balsamic, chopped garlic and onion to skewer in a fe minutes, but then had to leave. It ended up sitting until the next day, but it tasted wonderful.

I was able to educate a good friend who had never eaten lamb before, and was a fantastic meal. Mrs. Meshugana whipped up some cous cous and we toasted some supermarket 'French bread' with garlic.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375450519.924670.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375450535.413417.jpg
  • judiu likes this
PastaMeshugana
"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."
"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father
My eG Food Blog (2011)

#85 Ann_T

Ann_T
  • participating member
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:17 AM

PastaMeshugana,  great looking lamb kabobs.

Chicken%20Stew%20with%20Dumplings%20Augu

Craving yesterday for a simple chicken stew and dumplings.

• judiu likes this

#86 Franci

Franci
  • participating member
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:30 PM

We had a frittata of zucchini trombetta and blossoms

image.jpg

Then Stephane Reynaud ratatouille, where I use my preserved lemons instead of Menton lemons (ah,ah actually I used preserved Menton's lemons) and rabbit. My favorite bits: head and liver.image.jpg
  • judiu likes this

#87 Ann_T

Ann_T
  • participating member
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:29 PM

Franci, Yum!! Rabbit livers.  Local restaurant use to have rabbit livers as an appetizer.  So good.

Grilled%20Pork%20Chops%20August%202nd%20

Grilled Pork Chops with julienned zucchini with tomatoes, garlic and basil and

Potato%20Gratin%20August%202nd%2C%202013

a Potato Gratin (Potatoes are cooked in chicken broth with onions, fresh thyme and a little parmesan cheese.

• judiu likes this

#88 Baselerd

Baselerd
  • participating member
  • 459 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:30 PM

I recently made this recipe from Food Arts, with some minor changes.

Escolar crudo with yuzu vinaigrette, lemongrass oil, peppers, avocado, radish, thai basil, and shiso powder.

tumblr_mqxja5nlVs1rvhqcjo1_1280.jpg

• Plantes Vertes likes this

#89 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,296 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:51 AM

Potato Gratin

best looking one ever !

did the broth evaporate?  any cheese in there?

Edited by rotuts, 03 August 2013 - 06:52 AM.

#90 Steve Irby

Steve Irby
  • society donor
  • 215 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:47 AM

Baselerd - Out of the park.  mm84321's screen saver photo just got replaced.

Ann_T - Totally agree with rotuts on the gratin. The zucchini dish also looks great.  And lets don't leave out the kudos to the proteins. Three beautiful meals with chicken, prime rib and pork chops. Definitely a carnivores dream.