Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Cooking with Ruhlman & Polcyn's "Charcuterie" (Part 2)

Charcuterie Cookbook

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 ninagluck

ninagluck
  • participating member
  • 120 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:32 AM

hallo,

this piece is perfect for a Coppa. as you said, it is from the neck and due to its fat content it is also used for making sausages.

ninagluck

#32 Merkinz

Merkinz
  • participating member
  • 138 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:36 AM

Great! Thanks for the comments :)

#33 DiggingDogFarm

DiggingDogFarm
  • participating member
  • 865 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:23 AM

Merkinz,

From here, it looks like you have the upper part (collar) of what we call a "Boston Butt."

That is what's cured (often after trimming) to make coppa or cottage ham.

See BriCan's first post in the following link....he demonstrates how the collar is separated from a full Boston Butt and prepared for coppa.....

http://forum.sausage....php?f=4&t=8603

~Martin

Unsupervised rebellious radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, nonconformist and contrarian who questions everything!

#34 Merkinz

Merkinz
  • participating member
  • 138 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:45 PM

Merkinz,

From here, it looks like you have the upper part (collar) of what we call a "Boston Butt."

That is what's cured (often after trimming) to make coppa or cottage ham.

See BriCan's first post in the following link....he demonstrates how the collar is separated from a full Boston Butt and prepared for coppa.....

http://forum.sausage....php?f=4&t=8603

Thanks Martin!

That is exactly what I was looking for. This kind of stuff is had to find using google but you sir are a wealth of knowledge! ... You just helped me with the nitrite burned bacon on chefsteps :biggrin:

Can I just pay you to come and teach me the way of charcuterie? :smile:

• DiggingDogFarm likes this

#35 Merkinz

Merkinz
  • participating member
  • 138 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:29 PM

Hey all. I'm making my first Bresaola at the moment. It's currently in it's first week of curing. Keen to ask a few questions:

- Should I wrap it in muslin? I know I don't need to but is there any benefit?

- Should I inoculate with mold? ... again, I know I don't need to but what are peoples experiences?

- Do you have any other tips so I can get a good result the first time?

Cheers.

#36 ninagluck

ninagluck
  • participating member
  • 120 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:22 AM

well, depending on the humidity where you dry the piece. I wrap mine in muslin and spray he muslin with water.

I don't put old on bresaola. Wash the piece with a redwine/salt mixture, that gives a nice taste.

#37 Merkinz

Merkinz
  • participating member
  • 138 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:18 AM

Thanks I'll give that a go. Relative humidity is actually quite high in my curing chamber so I might skip the muslin.

Edited by Merkinz, 29 April 2014 - 12:18 AM.

#38 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 04:46 PM

Couple of quick questions about the basic country ham (the one in the style of Serrano, San Danielle, etc).

• They call for a full leg of pork. About 5-6 kilos of meat, from memory. I want to use a 1-2 kilo piece of meat because this is a trial run and I'm not even sure my curing environment is suitable. Is this okay? Will it significantly shorten the drying time or should I still figure on the 4-5 months?
  • Is the bone critical? Sometimes I can only find leg pieces at the size I want with the bone already removed.
  • Instead of parking it in a box during the salt curing process, can I just vac seal it?

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#39 DiggingDogFarm

DiggingDogFarm
  • participating member
  • 865 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 05:26 PM

Go here http://www.mrswheelb...allenge-curing/ amd scroll down to Jambons de Camont
 AKA Noix de Jambon.

A video of Dominique Chapolard preparing Noix de Jambon......

~Martin

Unsupervised rebellious radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, nonconformist and contrarian who questions everything!

#40 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,270 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 03:57 AM

DDF  you come up with some of the best vids !

you should start a topic:   My favorite cooking vids.

:biggrin:

• DiggingDogFarm likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Charcuterie, Cookbook