Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Looking for one more element to make a new dish "pop"

Mexican Vegetarian

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Tim Chambers

Tim Chambers
  • participating member
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:18 AM

Hello,
I am currently working on a dish to run as a special at the upscale modern Mexican restaurant that I work at. The dish, as of right now, is this:

Green bean salad with sherry crema, shaved zucchini, and heirloom tomato vinaigrette. The zucchini is sliced super thin and layered out on the plate. I drizzle with vinaigrette and place the green beans (dressed in sherry cema) in the middle, on top of the zucchini. There are also diced heirloom tomatoes and shallots sprinkled around the zucchini.

My boss said that it was all really good, but that it needed something more. Something to really make it pop. Any suggestions?

#2 Bojana

Bojana
  • participating member
  • 216 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:29 AM

Something crispy, crunchy, spicy, salty, fatty...Just been reading through the Momofuku book and the thing that comes to mind is a twist on chicaron. 

#3 jvalentino

jvalentino
  • participating member
  • 194 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:30 AM

Marcona almonds. Candied spicy smokey chopped.

#4 Ashen

Ashen
  • participating member
  • 466 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:08 AM

if you just want an accent and not another  full out  element to the dish , you could go a few directions with  herbs or greens.. arugala or  cress would give a bit of pepperyness, parsley is always bright, taragon goes really well with green beans. 

"Why is the rum always gone?"
Captain Jack Sparrow

#5 nickrey

nickrey
  • society donor
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:13 AM

Green beans are often accompanied with toasted slithered almonds. They give texture without adding more flavour components. You've got enough flavours there already,

• Allura, judiu and slschnur like this

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four.
Unless there are three other people." Orson Welles
My eG Foodblog

#6 Simon Lewinson

Simon Lewinson
  • participating member
  • 102 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:13 AM

I was thinking along the line of fatty, salty and crispy meat. Chorizo rounds or some type of crispy jamon, prosciutto etc.

Porky, spicy goodness.

#7 weinoo

weinoo
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,398 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:17 AM

Is the zucchini salted and allowed to rest for a few minutes before plating; a little pickled, perhaps?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog
My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs
Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

#8 Dave Hatfield

Dave Hatfield
  • participating member
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:26 AM

Like the almond ideas, but how about toasted pine nuts instead?

#9 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,493 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:47 AM

Like the almond ideas, but how about toasted pine nuts instead?

I'd be very careful with pine nuts.  Know your source, and know just what nuts you're getting.  Many of the nuts on the market can cause a bitter aftertaste that's very unpleasant.  http://www.npr.org/b...itter-atertaste

If you want nuts, go with good Marcona almonds.

Edited by Shel_B, 08 July 2013 - 07:48 AM.

• Allura likes this

.... Shel

#10 Baselerd

Baselerd
  • participating member
  • 459 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:58 AM

Definitely something crunchy - seems like all your components so far are relatively soft (except maybe the green beans?). Smoked almonds sounds great.

#11 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,643 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:47 AM

I lean toward candied pecans. You can make them as sweet/spicy/savory as you want to fit the dish. Put 'em on whole or crumbled.

Dried cranberries or some more Southwestern berry/fruit is a thought too.

• judiu likes this

#12 hongda

hongda
  • participating member
  • 111 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:02 AM

Parmesan, mixed with chorizo spices, turned into a crisp if your looking for vegetarian.

#13 Ttogull

Ttogull
  • participating member
  • 248 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:41 AM

Parmesan, mixed with chorizo spices, turned into a crisp if your looking for vegetarian.

Parmesan is not vegetarian

https://www.vegsoc.o...se#.UdrpP8u9KK0

There are vegetarian Mexican cheeses that are made into crisps.

I do not see how this dish represents Mexico or understand its motivation. That might help with suggestions.

#14 sadistick

sadistick
  • legacy participant
  • 959 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:50 AM

If you are executing well, your veg should provide sufficient 'crunch'.

I would suggest some Cilantro or Vietnamese Coriander.

"He who does not mind his belly, will hardly mind anything else."
- Samuel Johnson

#15 pastrygirl

pastrygirl
  • society donor
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:10 AM

I like the smoked almonds idea, but I would not go sweet with them. Or you could smoke some of the tomatoes. Chervil or tarragon and a little salty cheese would be great too.

#16 Tim Chambers

Tim Chambers
  • participating member
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:26 PM

Parmesan is not vegetarianhttps://www.vegsoc.o...se#.UdrpP8u9KK0
I do not see how this dish represents Mexico or understand its motivation. That might help with suggestions.
First, thank you for the suggestions everyone.

Second, Parmesan is vegetarian, it just isn't vegan.

Third, this dish was inspired by "Calabacita con crema," a Mexican dish in which zuchinni and other vegetables are cooked in milk and crema, and often tomatoes. I'm changing up the elements a bit, and serving it cold, but the flavor is still there. Just because I'm not making a taco doesn't mean it's not authentic. I would recommend checking out some of the leading chefs in Mexico, such as Enrique olvera. He does a lot of modern things like this where he will play around with classic Mexican dishes

Edited by Tim Chambers, 08 July 2013 - 01:28 PM.

#17 Ttogull

Ttogull
  • participating member
  • 248 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:40 PM

Parmesan is not vegetarianhttps://www.vegsoc.o...se#.UdrpP8u9KK0
First, thank you for the suggestions everyone.
Second, Parmesan is vegetarian, it just isn't vegan.
Third, this dish was inspired by "Calabacita con crema," a Mexican dish in which zuchinni and other vegetables are cooked in milk and crema, and often tomatoes. I'm changing up the elements a bit, and serving it cold, but the flavor is still there. Just because I'm not making a taco doesn't mean it's not authentic. I would recommend checking out some of the leading chefs in Mexico, such as Enrique olvera. He does a lot of modern things like this where he will play around with classic Mexican dishes

The Vegetarian Society disagrees. Authentic Parmesan is made from cow rennet. Don't take my word for it - check with vegetarians. Click the link above.

I have eaten lots of Mexican, including many tacos. I just wanted to know what you were thinking to make suggestions. The sherry was a bit confusing.

#18 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 894 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:00 PM

Just about all tasty cheese is traditionally made with rennet, a coagulant enzyme complex obtained from an animal's stomach, and Parmesan is one. Vegetarian versions are available.

#19 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 894 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:44 PM

I think the other traditional ingredients are onion, garlic, chicken stock, and sometimes corn, coriander and/or poblanos. Maybe you could work with one of those, perhaps with a trendy presentation like a dehydrated powder or a fried crisp, rather than just adding it to the other vegetables? Dehydrated corn is commercially available I believe. If the dish is supposed to be vegetarian of course the chicken is out - otherwise maybe a jelly made with chicken stock.

Edited by Plantes Vertes, 08 July 2013 - 03:45 PM.

#20 Ttogull

Ttogull
  • participating member
  • 248 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:18 PM

I agree with what ranchgordo said in the book thread - corn, chiles, and beans are important primary flavors of Mexico. There are lots of other flavors I associate with Mexican cooking. Some are what Plantes Verdes mentioned, but I would sub cumin in place of coriander. Add to it achiote, jalapeños, serranos, habaneros, orange, mango, lime tequila, mezcal, epazote, peanuts, pumpkins, pumpkin seeds, tomatillos, queso fresco, queso anejo, cotija, queso quesadilla, guajillo, ancho, chile de Arbol, jicama, and others I am probably forgetting.

Assuming that your tomatoes are fresh (not cooked), I'd personally consider adding charred grilled yellow corn to your diced tomatoes (I am finding it at farmer's markets near me) and maybe a sprinkling of raw finely diced serranos. Raw poblanos would not be my choice here. I think I personally would leave out the sherry, and maybe experiment with a touch of mezcal (smoky) or tequila instead. I am not an expert on cream, but the Mexican versions I've had are different from what one buys in local grocery stores. It might be important to use the Mexican crema.

This would get crunch and smokiness in, which others seem to like.

BTW, Rick Bayless suggests this dish is an "unbeatable taco filling," so perhaps it could serve as an authentic vegetarian main with some added tortillas.

Edited by Ttogull, 08 July 2013 - 06:25 PM.

#21 hongda

hongda
  • participating member
  • 111 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:18 PM

How about seasoned Cancha, i.e. Corn Nuts....

#22 hongda

hongda
  • participating member
  • 111 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:24 PM

I'm also thinking if it's a starter a little bit of brightness/acidity from something like a pickled onion or capers.

#23 IAte

IAte
  • participating member
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:05 AM

I'd add something unexpected! If it tastes light cover it with few drops of fresh lemon juiсe and serve with cranberry or raspberry sauce. That will add more colours and smell.

Or if you think that berries don't go  good with tomatoes than use a bit sweet banana sauce. And do not mix this all. Let your visitors experiment and share their experience and take part in creating Perfect salad. :smile:

Be sweety - visit my blog BestCupCakeSecrets.com :blush: :wub:

#24 TheCulinaryLibrary

TheCulinaryLibrary
  • participating member
  • 120 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:02 PM

Crumble over some Queso Blanco, Panela or Queso Para Freir.

#25 DTBarton

DTBarton
  • participating member
  • 970 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:46 AM

Maybe add a little jalapeno, cilantro and lime to the tomato/shallot mixture to punch it up.

#26 HungryC

HungryC
  • participating member
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:58 AM

Go for the crunch...how about peruvian style cancha (toasted big corn kernels)?

#27 janeer

janeer
  • participating member
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:19 PM

Well, if you really wanted to make it authentic (as in the true calabacitas dish), I would use some cinnamon--probably put it in the tomato vinagrette. Could be quite nice, and give it that pop while being very Mexican

#28 dcarch

dcarch
  • participating member
  • 2,330 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:01 PM

Hello,
I am currently working on a dish to run as a special at the upscale modern Mexican restaurant that I work at. The dish, as of right now, is this:

Green bean salad with sherry crema, shaved zucchini, and heirloom tomato vinaigrette. The zucchini is sliced super thin and layered out on the plate. I drizzle with vinaigrette and place the green beans (dressed in sherry cema) in the middle, on top of the zucchini. There are also diced heirloom tomatoes and shallots sprinkled around the zucchini.

My boss said that it was all really good, but that it needed something more. Something to really make it pop. Any suggestions?

Can you show a picture?

Sometimes a properly plated dish is half the task.

dcarch 

#29 mgaretz

mgaretz
  • participating member
  • 738 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:53 PM

I'm thinking something sweet. I'd try orange sections or apple slices and see which one works better.

#30 mgaretz

mgaretz
  • participating member
  • 738 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:57 PM

This is kind of off the wall, but maybe some shredded coconut. I'd try it plain but also toasted with some spice - maybe chile or cumin.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mexican, Vegetarian