Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Cooking with "Modernist Cuisine" (Part 4)

Cookbook Modernist

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#61 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 933 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:09 PM

Somewhere in MC or maybe MC@H I read about a pressure cooker canning jar method of rendering lard.  I can't find it.  All I have at hand at the moment is MC@H and MC vol 4.

Could someone share the recipe and tell me where it's shown?

Put your fat in canning jars along with water and the addition of 0.4% (of the weight of the fat) of baking soda. Pressure cook 4 hours and decant off the fat. The aroma will be strong at first, so leave the jar open to cool.

Thanks!  Which volume is it from?

#62 bhsimon

bhsimon
  • participating member
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:24 PM

Somewhere in MC or maybe MC@H I read about a pressure cooker canning jar method of rendering lard.  I can't find it.  All I have at hand at the moment is MC@H and MC vol 4.

Could someone share the recipe and tell me where it's shown?

Put your fat in canning jars along with water and the addition of 0.4% (of the weight of the fat) of baking soda. Pressure cook 4 hours and decant off the fat. The aroma will be strong at first, so leave the jar open to cool.

Thanks!  Which volume is it from?

Volume 3, page 144.

#63 Twyst

Twyst
  • participating member
  • 293 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 05:56 PM

I have 6 extra whole prime strip loins laying around at the minute that need to be used.  I'd like to experiment and make pastrami with a couple of them.   Would I significantly reduce the time cooked sous vide to only a couple of hours since this is already a pretty tender cut, or should I just cook it like the book suggests for shortrib/cheek/brisket/whatever?

Edited by Twyst, 25 December 2013 - 05:57 PM.

#64 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 04:20 PM

Anyone know the refrigerated shelf life of the restructured Emmental slices (5.14)?

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#65 pbear

pbear
  • participating member
  • 261 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:12 PM

FWIW, @Home (p.317) says the perfectly melting cheese slices can be held up to 10 days in the refrigerator or 2 months in the freezer.  This recipe is a little different from the MC one, as it includes no iota carrageenan, so the latter might actually hold longer (less available water), but I think you can take the @Home recommendation as a safe minimum.  Especially as I generally find the storage notes in the book to be quite conservative.

#66 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:45 PM

I just made a batch of the mushroom ketchup. It's interesting. Quite different to the Blumenthal one. I think I prefer it, although it's hard to fairly review this sort of thing without some meat. The lack of, er, chunky bits is a positive, though.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#67 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:11 AM

I haven't tried the MC version yet but I like the pieces of pickled mushroom in the Blumenthal version. The thing I didn't like about the Blumenthal version, done exactly as written, was that it was way too salty for me. I'll have to give the MC version a try.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cookbook, Modernist