Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Chinese Eats at Home (Part 3)

Chinese

• Please log in to reply
536 replies to this topic

#61 crustybread

crustybread
  • participating member
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 12:07 PM

Aww thank you!  :wub:
It's good ol' simple rustic food which I think many people can appreciate hehe.

And did I hear NO bubble tea (I call it 'pearl tea') in Rochester?! That's nutters! Don't worry, I'm sure there's some foodie places around there that other places miss out on lol.

Which reminds me, I could go fetch soem pearl tea after prac work tomorrow -it's right next door (aren't I evil) :raz:

P.S. What was different about your mapo tofu? Looks yummy in tummy!

View Post

Sorry for taking so long to reply!
I think there's a KC Tea & Noodles in Rochester, but I heard it's not that good. I think the closest to good bubble tea is either in Buffalo, Syracuse or Toronto!

And as for my mapo tofu, I dunno if it's the standard mapo tofu because I've never made it. This is what my mom makes at home so I just make her recipe. I just call it mapo tofu because I don't know what else to call it.
There is no love sincerer than the love of food. - George Bernard Shaw

star shaped cookies - my blog

#62 Ce'nedra

Ce'nedra
  • participating member
  • 928 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 06:26 AM

Steamed cod served with baby kai lan and rice.

That cod looks so tender mmm...what kind of broth is it?

Sorry for taking so long to reply!
I think there's a KC Tea & Noodles in Rochester, but I heard it's not that good. I think the closest to good bubble tea is either in Buffalo, Syracuse or Toronto!

And as for my mapo tofu, I dunno if it's the standard mapo tofu because I've never made it. This is what my mom makes at home so I just make her recipe. I just call it mapo tofu because I don't know what else to call it.

View Post

Ahh family recipes are the best. They might not be the most 'authentic' or whatever you shall call it, but they're almost always the most delicious to us! :biggrin:

Back to my dinner here (from awhile back actually).
Lap cheong fried rice and hairy melon soup (one of my favourite soups of all time).
These are also my mum's recipes.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Ce'nedra, 14 April 2008 - 06:27 AM.

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog
http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

#63 Ce'nedra

Ce'nedra
  • participating member
  • 928 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 09:34 PM

Chicken drumsticks with five-spice sauce

mixng it up
Posted Image
Posted Image

#64 liuzhou

liuzhou
  • participating member
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 10:59 PM

That looks finger lickin' good!

#65 jo-mel

jo-mel
  • participating member
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 06:44 PM

Chicken drumsticks with five-spice sauce

mixng it up
Posted Image
Posted Image

View Post

Gee, they look good!!!! I can almost smell the lucious aroma!

Don't go away until you give us a recipe -- you hear??

#66 CaliPoutine

CaliPoutine
  • participating member
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 05:58 AM

I'm looking for a recipe for Honey Glazed Walnut Shrimp, anyone have one?

#67 Ce'nedra

Ce'nedra
  • participating member
  • 928 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 08:50 PM

View Post

Hi jo-mel, sorry for the EXTREMELY late reply. Have had alot of work to do lately.
There's no real measurement as it's a family recipe that my mum taught me on the spot so here goes...

1 tsp five-spice powder
8 drumsticks
salt
sugar
soy sauce
fish sauce
crushed garlic
water
* I know this isn't specific but there should be a good deal of soy sauce and fish sauce!
Maybe this could help...
Posted Image

Marinade for at least 2 hrs in the fridge.
Pan-fry the drumsticks (both sides obviously) until well browned. At this point, mix the remaining marinade sauce with some water (I'd say enough to allow the mixture to reach approx. 1/2 the width of the drumsticks).
Taste and season with salt/sugar accordingly.
Let the drumsticks simmer in the mixure until the sauce boils, in which it will soon reduce and thicken.
Serve with steamed rice (spooning the delicious bronze sauce over) :biggrin:

View Post

I'm not sure if we're referring to the same recipe...but do you mean the one with sweet mayonnaise sauce laced with honey? Like this
Posted Image

I tried to recreate this at home but we didn't use honey (which would be mistake #1 :rolleyes: ) and the results weren't the same as the Chinese restaurants...although it WAS fairly good.

Very simple (my version at least):

I used about 500 g tiger prawns, peeled and cleaned. A pinch of baking soda (hey it's not bad in small quantities :raz: ), mixed through the prawns thorougly and left in the fridge for about 2 hours.
Afterwards, I would dip the prawns in egg whites and then into flour. Deep-fry the prawns. Leave in a bowl covered with serviettes to soak up the oil.
In the meantime, mix the mayonnaise with sugar (add bit by bit according to your own taste). Just before serving (since you want to keep the prawns as crisp as possible), pour the sweet mayonnaise over the prawns and then sprinkle with plenty of walnuts. Btw, the walnuts are NECESSARY for the contrast in taste and texture.

View Post

#68 Ce'nedra

Ce'nedra
  • participating member
  • 928 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 08:50 PM

That looks finger lickin' good!

View Post

Thank you! :biggrin:

#69 NancyH

NancyH
  • participating member
  • 884 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 07:48 AM

There's no real measurement as it's a family recipe that my mum taught me on the spot so here goes...

1 tsp five-spice powder
8 drumsticks
salt
sugar
soy sauce
fish sauce
crushed garlic
water
* I know this isn't specific but there should be a good deal of soy sauce and fish sauce!

Does it matter what type of fish sauce you use? Thai, Vietnamese, etc.?
"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" (coined while playing with my food at Lolita).

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

#70 Ce'nedra

Ce'nedra
  • participating member
  • 928 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 07:51 AM

1 tsp five-spice powder
8 drumsticks
salt
sugar
soy sauce
fish sauce
crushed garlic
water

Does it matter what type of fish sauce you use? Thai, Vietnamese, etc.?

View Post

Hmm well we use Vietnamese fish sauce at home so I suppose that's what I'd recommend :)

#71 C. sapidus

C. sapidus
  • participating member
  • 2,568 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 07:00 PM

It has been far too long since we cooked a Chinese meal, but tonight’s dinner was from Land of Plenty: la zi ji (chicken with chiles); gan ban si ji dou (dry-fried green beans); hong you qie zi (steamed eggplants with chile sauce); and jasmine rice.

The boys loved the chicken and the dry-fried green beans. For the chicken we deep-fried chunks of thigh meat that had been marinated in Shaoxing rice wine, light and dark soy sauce, and a little salt. After cleaning the wok we flavored the oil with garlic, ginger, Sichuan peppercorns, and a bowl full of chiles, returned the chicken to the wok, and finished the dish with scallions, salt, sugar, and sesame oil.

Asian eggplant was steamed for a few minutes, cooled, and then chopped with the skin. I loved the delicate eggplant with the addictive dipping sauce, made from soy sauce, Chinkiang vinegar, sugar, chile oil, and sesame oil.

Posted Image

#72 snowangel

snowangel
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 8,140 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 07:39 PM

Bruce, are you using long beans or regular green beans? I find the long beans so much more satisfying, and oh my, do those leftover long beans re-heat so much better. They seem to have more fibre and less sugar? (question mark intentional)
Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

#73 C. sapidus

C. sapidus
  • participating member
  • 2,568 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 07:44 PM

Bruce, are you using long beans or regular green beans?  I find the long beans so much more satisfying, and oh my, do those leftover long beans re-heat so much better.  They seem to have more fibre and less sugar? (question mark intentional)

View Post

Susan, I prefer the texture of long beans and use them when I can find them. Availability has been spotty lately, so tonight we used regular green beans.

#74 Ce'nedra

Ce'nedra
  • participating member
  • 928 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 11:10 PM

Those beans are spectacular as a stir fry with minced pork -just add salt, sugar and a little water (I'm huge on 'sauces'/juices).

#75 Dejah

Dejah
  • participating member
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 07:51 AM

Those beans are spectacular as a stir fry with minced pork -just add salt, sugar and a little water (I'm huge on 'sauces'/juices).

View Post

I prefer to add just fu yu with regular green beans or long beans. It is kinda saucy with the smashed fu yu sticking to each bean, but not wet. The chili in the fuyu adds a bite as well.
Dejah
www.hillmanweb.com

#76 handmc

handmc
  • participating member
  • 778 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 12:05 PM

Sorry but I have to ask what is fuyo, is it a sauce or paste and if so, can it be made or where could I buy it?

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------
One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

#77 Dejah

Dejah
  • participating member
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 08:23 PM

Fu yu is cubes of tofu aged in rice, wine, salt brine and spiced with chilis. It's also called "Chinese cheese".

They are sold in jars in Asian stores.
Dejah
www.hillmanweb.com

#78 Ce'nedra

Ce'nedra
  • participating member
  • 928 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 08:06 AM

Fu yu is indeed great with the beans but I only eat it that way (smashed fu yu with sugar in a small dish for dipping the beans into) when mum cooks this seafood-tofu-long bean hotpot (the sizzling kind, not broth based).

Otherwise, a simple stir fry (as I described above) of the beans with a tiny bit of minced prok is just divine. One of the best ways to prepare the beans imo.

#79 Ben Hong

Ben Hong
  • participating member
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 04:35 PM

Fu yu is indeed great with the beans but I only eat it that way (smashed fu yu with sugar in a small dish for dipping the beans into) when mum cooks this seafood-tofu-long bean hotpot (the sizzling kind, not broth based).

Otherwise, a simple stir fry (as I described above) of the beans with a tiny bit of minced prok is just divine. One of the best ways to prepare the beans imo.

View Post

I do both quite frequently. Agree with your opinion on fuyu with beans...or zuchini...or cucumber...ong choy...amaranth...peashoots etc... :wub: :wub: drool*drool* :laugh: .

#80 Ce'nedra

Ce'nedra
  • participating member
  • 928 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 08:26 AM

View Post

I do both quite frequently. Agree with your opinion on fuyu with beans...or zuchini...or cucumber...ong choy...amaranth...peashoots etc... :wub: :wub: drool*drool* :laugh: .

View Post

Ever tried it with toasted bread? I'm thinking of giving it a go :unsure:

#81 CaliPoutine

CaliPoutine
  • participating member
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 09:08 AM

View Post

Hi jo-mel, sorry for the EXTREMELY late reply. Have had alot of work to do lately.

1 tsp five-spice powder
8 drumsticks
salt
sugar
soy sauce
fish sauce
crushed garlic
water
Maybe this could help...
Posted Image

Marinade for at least 2 hrs in the fridge.
Pan-fry the drumsticks (both sides obviously) until well browned. At this point, mix the remaining marinade sauce with some water (I'd say enough to allow the mixture to reach approx. 1/2 the width of the drumsticks).
Taste and season with salt/sugar accordingly.
Let the drumsticks simmer in the mixure until the sauce boils, in which it will soon reduce and thicken.
Serve with steamed rice (spooning the delicious bronze sauce over) :biggrin:

View Post

I'm not sure if we're referring to the same recipe...but do you mean the one with sweet mayonnaise sauce laced with honey? Like this
Posted Image

I tried to recreate this at home but we didn't use honey (which would be mistake #1 :rolleyes: ) and the results weren't the same as the Chinese restaurants...although it WAS fairly good.

Very simple (my version at least):

I used about 500 g tiger prawns, peeled and cleaned. A pinch of baking soda (hey it's not bad in small quantities :raz: ), mixed through the prawns thorougly and left in the fridge for about 2 hours.
Afterwards, I would dip the prawns in egg whites and then into flour. Deep-fry the prawns. Leave in a bowl covered with serviettes to soak up the oil.
In the meantime, mix the mayonnaise with sugar (add bit by bit according to your own taste). Just before serving (since you want to keep the prawns as crisp as possible), pour the sweet mayonnaise over the prawns and then sprinkle with plenty of walnuts. Btw, the walnuts are NECESSARY for the contrast in taste and texture.

View Post

View Post

I just saw this reply now. Thats the one I'm talking about, but I didnt realize it had so much mayo. I have a bag of glazed walnuts so I was thinking they'd be good for this recipe.

#82 hzrt8w

hzrt8w
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 3,855 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 11:02 AM

Ever tried it with toasted bread? I'm thinking of giving it a go  :unsure:

View Post

Go girl! I eat that all the time! Fu yu as a butter substitute... :laugh: But I am in weird school...
W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

#83 jo-mel

jo-mel
  • participating member
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 07:05 PM

CaliPoutine -- I thought I had put in the Shrimp/Walnut recipe that I've used in my classes. But maybe I didn't click on "post"?? (This was some time back)

(And thanks for the drumstick recipe. I will be using it this summer!)

The sauce I use for the shrimp/walnut dish is sweet, but tangy. There are also 2 alternate sauces and both have a tang to the sweetness. I like the one with the concentrated pineapple juice as it seems more like the one I've had when eating this as a banquet dish.

SHRIMP WITH CANDIED WALNUTS

INGREDIENTS:
1 pound large shrimp (31 to a pound)
Salt –( kosher preferred, as its roughness helps ‘scrub’ shrimp)

MARINADE: ½ tsp. salt
2 tsp. cornstarch
1 egg white

SAUCE: 1/3 cup mayonnaise (Hellmann’s preferred)
1 Tbsp. honey
1 Tbsp. frozen concentrated pineapple juice

3 cups oil for cooking – peanut, corn, canola or soybean oil (vegetable oil)
½ - 1 cup shelled, candied walnut halves (see recipe for preparation below) (or buy prepared)

PREPARATION:
---Prepare candied walnuts as below.
---Peel shrimp. Make shallow cut down the back and remove sand vein.
---Add a couple Tb. salt to shrimp and rub in well. Rinse well, drain, pat dry. (this step removes ‘gunk’ and refreshes the shrimp. Rinsing well removes added salt taste.)
---Mix shrimp with marinade.

Cooking:
---Heat a wok to smoking, Add 3 cups oil and heat to 350’

---Add shrimp to oil, stir to separate pieces.

---Cook about 1 minute or until they change color and become firm.

---Remove shrimp and drain
---Pour off oil from wok and turn off heat.

---Return hot shrimp to still hot wok and add the sauce, mixing to coat shrimp.

---Place shrimp on platter and top with walnuts. Serve.

CANDIED WALNUTS - 2 cups shelled walnut halves / ½ cup sugar / 1/3 cup water / 2 cups oil.

------Heat a wok, Add the sugar and water and stir to dissolve sugar. / Bring to a boil and cook on low heat until the the syrup becomes a little thick. / Add the walnuts and cook until they are well coated. Remove walnuts to an oiled plate.
------Wash wok, heat wok and add oil. Heat to 300’. Add cooled walnuts and stir until they start to become golden in color – about ½ to 1 minute. Remove and drain. Separate them when they have cooled.

ALTERNATE SAUCES:

3T mayo / 1/2T honey / 3 t. lemon juice / 3 T coconut milk

or

3 T. mayo / 2 T. honey / 1T. lemon juice / 1/2T. cond. milk

#84 Ce'nedra

Ce'nedra
  • participating member
  • 928 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 09:00 AM

Ever tried it with toasted bread? I'm thinking of giving it a go  :unsure:

View Post

Go girl! I eat that all the time! Fu yu as a butter substitute... :laugh: But I am in weird school...

View Post

Aha! So my suggestion wasn't so whacked out after all! I guess I'll join in your weirdo gang :laugh:

#85 Ce'nedra

Ce'nedra
  • participating member
  • 928 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 09:04 AM

ALTERNATE SAUCES:

3T mayo / 1/2T honey / 3 t. lemon juice / 3 T coconut milk

or

3 T. mayo / 2 T. honey / 1T. lemon juice / 1/2T. cond. milk

View Post

Would the coconut milk version be too heavy in coconut flavour? It does sound very delicious although I don't recall ever tasting coconut whenver I had this dish at Chinese restaurants (but then again, my tastebuds aren't exactly refined).

#86 Ce'nedra

Ce'nedra
  • participating member
  • 928 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 12:53 AM

Ha cheung -cheated since I bought the rice sheets :rolleyes:
Posted Image
Posted Image

#87 Prawncrackers

Prawncrackers
  • participating member
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 02:56 PM

Not posted on here for ages but tonight i spent ages making Gau Ji from scratch, i only made 24 but it took over 2 hours! How fast can you guys do them? It was a bit of bravado by me thinking i could throw these out quickly as a light dinner but it was past 9pm when they were done. They were really tasty but felt like a PITA near the end!!!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#88 C. sapidus

C. sapidus
  • participating member
  • 2,568 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 08:34 PM

Beautiful dumplings, Prawn.

Two-wok dinner from Land of Plenty: tai bai chicken; stir-fried shiitake mushrooms; stir-fried Swiss chard with garlic; and jasmine rice.

We were out of pickled Sichuan or Thai chiles, so I cooked the chicken with pickled Serrano chiles and a bit of dou ban jiang. For whatever reason, the sauce simmered down to a particularly concentrated spicy-numbing glaze with a hint of sweetness.

Fat trimmed from the chicken thighs gave the mushrooms nice meaty punch.

Posted Image

#89 Ce'nedra

Ce'nedra
  • participating member
  • 928 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 12:57 AM

Prawncrackers: Your dumplings look amazing! Seems to be quite a bit of juice galore going on (YUM).
Oh and speaking of the time length in cooking, I understand your position completely -well, perhaps I'm in the worse position here...my cousin and I once had dinner at 1 am -try beating that!

C. sapidus: I love how your cooking always has this colour of 'exotica' going on -deep reds and lush greens.

I myself haven't been cooking for a very long time. Sigh...

Edited by Ce'nedra, 16 June 2008 - 12:58 AM.

#90 Prawncrackers

Prawncrackers
  • participating member
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 03:14 AM

Looks like it’s just you and I cooking at the moment Bruce!! Come on guys I know you’ve all been cooking and eating lovely Chinese meals – we need to see them.
I had put this Father’s Day meal for my in-laws on the Dinner! thread last night but didn’t have time to add much of a description.
Chicken Rice – I simmer for 20mins then submerge for 40mins before taking out. My wife is put off that whole pink bone thing you get in HK so this way the bone is just cooked through.
Steamed Leopard Grouper (thanks Adam Balic for the id) with Pork and Mushrooms – my mum cooked this last week and I was so impressed with it I had to try for myself. Not as good though as I used frozen instead of fresh (it was a Sunday after all)
Braised Nyonya Pork – a favourite from Cradle of Flavour.
Stir Fried Choi Sum – with oyster Sauce and a little of the chicken stock. Picked in the morning from my mum’s garden, delicious but on reflection I didn’t cook enough. The balance of the meal i felt was a little off due to this.
Lobster in Spicy Tomato Sauce – they always spring a surprise ingredient on me. Luckily I hadn’t defrosted the big king prawns I was going to cook so this was an inspired substitution, they should come round more often!

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chinese