Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

The rise and fall of Paula Deen

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
202 replies to this topic

#181 lochaven

lochaven
  • participating member
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:06 PM

"I is what I is and I'm not changin."

Wow.

And I want a table for two and a chicken for eight o'clock.

#182 Ashen

Ashen
  • participating member
  • 475 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:28 AM

this article has an interesting tack on the whole situation. 

http://www.usatoday....a-deen/2458541/

"Why is the rum always gone?"
Captain Jack Sparrow

#183 Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock
  • society donor
  • 2,105 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:54 AM

4.  Who prepped Deen for her deposition.  Putting on my lawyer's hat, I have to question her prepping for that deposition.  Those were entirely predictable lines of questioning and their were any number of ways to honestly answer the questions in a manner less detrimental to her image.  When representing a public figure, especially a public figure whose business is based largely on their image, you need to spend some time thinking through how to answer predictable questions.  There's a world of difference between saying "Of course" I've used a racial slur, versus saying, "yes, unfortunately I used a racial slur 30 years ago after I was held up at gun point"

A NYT article from a few days ago, sorry I can't figure out which one now, stated that she flat out did not prep for the deposition because she assumed the case was going to be dismissed. This seems a tad arrogant to me, either that, or her lawyers aren't very good.

#184 Bill Klapp

Bill Klapp
  • participating member
  • 836 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:58 AM

and from the WSJ today  ( you may or not need to be a subscriber hard for me to say as I am one )

http://online.wsj.co...=trending_now_5

I think this is more likely, rotuts. Paula Deen has outlived her useful life on Food Networkand they have used the deposition to not renew her contract.  Her husband is wealthy in his own right.  They won't go barefoot.

Herein lies the truth.  This has nothing to do with racism, let alone outdated remarks, not even certain to evidence racist intent even if politically incorrect, much milder than those any number of U.S. politicians and international celebrities have uttered.  (Anybody remember Jesse Jackson calling New York City "Hymietown"?  Or how many blantantly racist strikes the Nixon-Ford Secretary of Agriculture Earl Butz got before being canned?)  This is about cynical, amoral, what-have-you-done-for-me-lately capitalism.  If we could look behind the curtain, we would no doubt find that the PD brand does not sell like it used to.  She has type II diabetes from eating the garbage that she pimps.  Her constituency is Walmart  shoppers in the rural South.  Her aw-shucks act has no doubt worn off with the rest of the country, and she never had rational, healthy eaters among her audience.  Food Network dumped her in favor of its next new thing (and let's hope that it is not named Batali or Fieri!).  Walmart and other sponsors are dumping her.  Walmart is guilty of sexism, racism and God knows what other high crimes and misdemeanors, on an international level.  It has no room to cast stones at anyone, except maybe Enron.  And yet, corporate America, who should have done its due diligence on Ms. Deen's non-PC past before hiring her, is now seizing on the opportunity to ditch a used-up commodity with no economic upside for them.  And here we thought that only NFL owners did that kind of thing!  Who knows, could be a mistake.  Look at convicted felon and jailbird Martha Stewart!

Bill Klapp

bklapp@egullet.com

#185 lancastermike

lancastermike
  • legacy participant
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:50 AM

The panel has been assembled in Salem. Mary Walcott will testify. The EG jury of perfection is ready. Only question that remains is the gallows or burning at the stake. Maybe both.
  • annabelle likes this

#186 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,689 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:40 AM

4.  Who prepped Deen for her deposition.  Putting on my lawyer's hat, I have to question her prepping for that deposition.  Those were entirely predictable lines of questioning and their were any number of ways to honestly answer the questions in a manner less detrimental to her image.  When representing a public figure, especially a public figure whose business is based largely on their image, you need to spend some time thinking through how to answer predictable questions.  There's a world of difference between saying "Of course" I've used a racial slur, versus saying, "yes, unfortunately I used a racial slur 30 years ago after I was held up at gun point"

A NYT article from a few days ago, sorry I can't figure out which one now, stated that she flat out did not prep for the deposition because she assumed the case was going to be dismissed. This seems a tad arrogant to me, either that, or her lawyers aren't very good.

We already know she's an idiot.

• annabelle likes this

#187 SylviaLovegren

SylviaLovegren
  • participating member
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:21 AM

Paula Deen is just the vehicle here.  The intent is to marshal all of our thoughts into the "correct" way of thinking.

That is why there is the attention given what should be a private matter between PD and her bosses and lawyers.

What you refer to as "political correctness" I would call common courtesy and respect.
  • Lisa Shock likes this

#188 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,460 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:47 AM

JJ says PD can be redeemed !

http://www.mercuryne...can-be-redeemed

not to stir the pot (flames?), but is this the Pot calling the Kettle Black?  :blink:  or how ever it goes   :huh:

and that Paragon of Virtue, Righteousness and the American Way (NYT) adds this:

http://www.nytimes.c...l?ref=arts&_r=0

Edited by rotuts, 27 June 2013 - 05:51 AM.

#189 weinoo

weinoo
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,453 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:35 AM

You do know that the NY Times' article you link to was written by their TV reviewer, right?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog
My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs
Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

#190 lindag

lindag
  • participating member
  • 361 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:29 AM

She needs to take her $50+/- Million and enjoy life, buy an island somewhere and start her own TV network for the intellectually inept.

Bravo!

#191 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,460 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:34 AM

TV reviewer    

of course!  TV is the American Way, no?   :huh:

#192 GordonCooks

GordonCooks
  • participating member
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:42 AM

No one is perfect, the world isn't and Paula Deen certainly isn't.

As an ethnic person, I've been on the receiving end of racist comments, hence I don't use them.

But, I've said my share of stupid things in life and when I've recounted them, I've done so apologetically and with humilty. Not with justification and smugness (without a legal team I may add)

Given those around her know this is the person she truly is, then good.

Come uppence justified as for someone who "Is who she Is"

...I mean really, if she hadn't lost any sponsors we wouldn't even be hearing from her.

Edited by GordonCooks, 27 June 2013 - 07:48 AM.

#193 annabelle

annabelle
  • participating member
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:00 AM

Paula Deen is just the vehicle here.  The intent is to marshal all of our thoughts into the "correct" way of thinking.

That is why there is the attention given what should be a private matter between PD and her bosses and lawyers.

What you refer to as "political correctness" I would call common courtesy and respect.

No, Sylvia.  A lot of it is bullying.  I'm not talking about Paula Deen, here. 

“No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?”

Edited by annabelle, 27 June 2013 - 08:32 AM.

#194 HungryC

HungryC
  • participating member
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:36 AM

Her constituency is Walmart  shoppers in the rural South.

Oh, so only CERTAIN stereotyping is abhorrent.  Can you please skip the rural-south-Walmart-shopper bashing?  The largest US retailer sells organics, lactose free milk, and the same bougie Greek yogurt as Whole Foods or Fresh Market.  Some shoppers would rather keep the sales tax revenue at home,  in our obviously pathetic-to-you, "rural" communities.  Overgeneralization is at the heart of prejudice on all fronts.  We dismiss, or worse, actively dislike, the very things we find unfamiliar.  It's basic human nature, and it requires self awareness to overcome.

• annabelle likes this

#195 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,460 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:40 AM

Just In !  From Fox !  PD # 1 !

http://www.foxnews.c...ber-one-amazon/

a true democracy votes with its bucks.  one dollar = one vote.

• annabelle likes this

#196 annabelle

annabelle
  • participating member
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:01 AM

Celeste, mais yeah.  It doesn't matter that "Master Chef" is featuring Wal-Mart produce and meats in its current season.  Clearly, Gordon Ramsey and company are rural Southern hicktards and not worthy of our attentions.

#197 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,460 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:26 AM

our attentions.

no no no

Wal-Marts take on their bottom line   nothing more

#198 annabelle

annabelle
  • participating member
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:12 AM

Wal-Mart being featured on Master Chef is no different than Whole Food$ being featured on Top Chef.   Sponsorship is sponsorship.

#199 dcarch

dcarch
  • participating member
  • 2,391 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:28 AM

The Chew

http://beta.abc.go.c...od-News-6262013

dcarch

• annabelle likes this

#200 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,460 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:48 AM

One thing about PD the person and PD the Persona  you could not manufacture a " ........... " that would be easier to ridicule.

and we all know  to ridicule a persona is one thing, but to ridicule a person is quite another thing.

I mean, from first had experience I could tell you some true stories about MS, felon, that would curl your toes.

Edited by rotuts, 27 June 2013 - 11:49 AM.

#201 sigma

sigma
  • participating member
  • 304 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:06 PM

I wonder how long until Michael Symon has to "clarify" his position.

Edited by sigma, 27 June 2013 - 12:26 PM.

#202 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,460 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:33 PM

my 'MS Felon' is not BTW is not this guy:

Michael Symon  

i had to look him up.  but then knew a little bit about him but not by name,

Im So Smug.  

sooo why does he miss a spot shaving?  and whats to "clarify" ?

#203 Dave the Cook

Dave the Cook

Executive Director

• manager
  • 7,368 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:45 PM

We're closing this topic. If new, substantive, information comes to light, members are free to start a new topic based on that. 

Thanks.

• SylviaLovegren likes this

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.