Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

The rise and fall of Paula Deen

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
202 replies to this topic

#61 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,696 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:57 PM

yes

FN is a business that is works to make $$.  PD is relatively expensive.  she was on thin ice re her diabetes and that she kept that to herself.

this just gave the $$ making bean counters a way to move on with a 'Fresh Face  ie cheeep ' to do the same thing for them

she did admit to what she said and said she was sorry.  she cant live that close to Washington DC can she?

#62 David Ross

David Ross
  • host
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:32 PM

or

Another point to consider is all the innocent people behind the scenes that may become victims of Paula Deen's actions.  Whether it's proven in a court of law or not, the damage is done and it remains to be seen how deep the damage will go.  We already know that Food Network canned her, so let's hope that the people who worked on her shows will be moved to other Food Network programming.   If the public outcry grows, it could endanger the rest of the empire including the cookbooks, cookware and food products, potentially affecting the printer, the delivery driver, the stocker, on and on and on.  Of course, someone who uses bad judgement and puts themselves in a position of getting to this miserable state is someone who doesn't consider how their actions may affect the hundreds of people who work supporting the brand.

Oh come now.  This info was leaked by the plaintiff in the suit looking to get money out of Deen.  The allegations will never be proved, because they are not part of the case.  They are completely peripheral.  The leak was to press her into settling, which is hardly an uncommon tactic in civil suits with celebrities.  So don't talk about her "actions" hurting these poor little people.  Blame the attorney and plaintiff.  The leak is the proximate cause of their potential misery.

As I mentioned, whether it's proven in a court of law or not, the damage to Paula Deen's reputation has been done and "it remains to be seen how deep the damage will go."  It's my view that Paula's actions could potentially affect people who work for companies that produce goods for the brand.  Is it inconceivable to imagine the CEO of Walmart saying enough is enough and pull her products from the shelves?   Nothing is off the table at this point, regardless of how utterly ridiculous and unintelligent it may sound. 

Sure, Food Network will survive and prosper and the next Guy with spiked hair and flip flops is just one diner away.  Paula's make-up artist will get hired by Kim Kardashian to put mascara on her daughter North and Ms. Deen will rise again.  Sadly, some peope will have been hurt along the way.   

#63 sigma

sigma
  • participating member
  • 304 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:37 PM

I don't think you understand my point.

#64 annabelle

annabelle
  • participating member
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:46 PM

Oh, David.  Honestly, it's not like she's single-handedly taken down the NYSE.  Martha Stewart couldn't even do that.

The plaintiff is only including Paula Deen in the suit because she has deep pockets.  Bubba has been a pack of trouble since he was a teen.  Paula tried to help him out and got burned.

#65 IndyRob

IndyRob
  • participating member
  • 851 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:54 PM

It's my view that Paula's actions could potentially affect people who work for companies that produce goods for the brand.  Is it inconceivable to imagine the CEO of Walmart saying enough is enough and pull her products from the shelves?   Nothing is off the table at this point, regardless of how utterly ridiculous and unintelligent it may sound. 

But I think this is a little bit backwards.  The products are not produced for the brand.  The brand is applied to the products.  Consider this page at Amazon.  Note the bullet point that says "Paula Deen and Teflon are registered trademarks used with permission".  Okay, so there is some actual Dupont Teflon used in the product.  But no Paula Deenlon.  These aren't her products.  There's no Paula Deen in the product.  She herself is merely a latter day Aunt Jemima.

#66 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:02 PM

I bet her audience doesn't give a hoot about all this other than the fact that people are persecuting Paula.

#67 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:25 PM

I'm just wondering if this means there's an opening at the Food Network for a loud, 60-something, plump Southern woman with a fondness for butter.

Because if so....

Im sure Pat Robertson will hire her
Wawa Sizzli FTW!

#68 annabelle

annabelle
  • participating member
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:28 PM

I bet her audience doesn't give a hoot about all this other than the fact that people are persecuting Paula.

Not from anything I've read about it.  For every one outraged! post there are ten "screw Food Network" posts.

#69 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:48 PM

My son just had Paula Deen's son 's show on briefly.  He said that the son mentioned his mother and her name was half censored. "____a Deen" was what was broadcast.

Either a random glitch or she has become a non-person on FN. 

If FN really did that they are just adding to her mystique.  She'll have her own channel by the time the dust settles.

#70 Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow
  • participating member
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:00 PM

To be honest all I know about Paula Deen comes from news stories about her health and the seriously unhealthy food that she is famous for. I don't find her cooking or her TV persona the least appealing, nor am I surprised by her expressions of the racism that lies so deep in our American culture. Uncovering this kind of thing moves us forward in teensy steps.

Kudos to Dylan Wilson for his photo in the NYT front section today showing the lines to get in to Paula's Savannah restaurant. By the looks of it, Paula hasn't been doing her fans many favors the last few years. Lordy, but I shouldn't be laughing.

• Lisa Shock and Jmahl like this

#71 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,696 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:51 AM

where is the photo in the NYTimes?  I cant seem to find it.  Id actually like to hear something about the restaurant per se.

not Per Se ..... :wink:

#72 David Ross

David Ross
  • host
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:07 AM

This is the link to the Times piece.  Very well written:

http://mobile.nytime...ep.html?from=us

#73 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,696 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:12 AM

Wow  thanks looking at that picture I see 6 + PD clones right there!  have not read the piece yet FD

#74 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,696 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:17 AM

and BTW  whats the food like there?

#75 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:39 AM

Here's the menu.  http://www.ladyandso...hp/menu/dinner/

It looks like pretty standard GA coastal stuff.  Might be very good even.

#76 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,696 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:59 AM

Rats.  no Krispy-Creme 'bread' pudding.

#77 catdaddy

catdaddy
  • participating member
  • 222 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:39 AM

Here's the menu.  http://www.ladyandso...hp/menu/dinner/

It looks like pretty standard GA coastal stuff.  Might be very good even.

All the food tastes like it came from the buffet.

#78 annabelle

annabelle
  • participating member
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:58 AM

Funny thing, that.  The Lady and Sons hosts a large buffet.

#79 lancastermike

lancastermike
  • legacy participant
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:47 AM

I think she should have never been hired in the first place.

She can't cook, she's annoying and she was a lying sack of shit about her illness.  Oh, and then a shill for the drug companies. 

way to keep it classy.

Not really sure why Paula Dean gets in trouble for what she says, but Bourdain is all but considered a national treasure.  Wanna bet Tony never said that?

But he is cool and Paula is just an uppity broad. She has a good TV presence that lots of folks seem to like. As do Fieri and Ray, who are also widely hated.

Edited by lancastermike, 24 June 2013 - 10:09 AM.

#80 annabelle

annabelle
  • participating member
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:40 AM

Thanks, Mike.  I was going to address that very point.  I guess if Paula had been a heroin addict, it'd all be good.

#81 annabelle

annabelle
  • participating member
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:43 AM

Wow  thanks looking at that picture I see 6 + PD clones right there!  have not read the piece yet FD

You know, if the NYT were writing up one of its hagiographic pieces about Soul Food in Harlem, the patrons would be sporting the same robust physiques and the food would be the same. 

But that's different.  What a bunch of hypocrites at the NYT.

#82 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,696 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:46 AM

not different at all.  big is big. in Harlem and at PD's

#83 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,696 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:57 AM

it's the bottom-less all-you-can-eat Fried Chicken Trough.

Where ever you find that, you find Big.

#84 annabelle

annabelle
  • participating member
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:01 AM

Of course, rotuts.  I wasn't singling you out, just pointing out the racism of the NYT in embracing Harlem and rejecting Paula Deen for making the same food.

#85 Toliver

Toliver
  • participating member
  • 4,626 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:29 AM

I certainly wish her accusers in the media would have taken the time to read the 149 page deposition.

She admits that she said that word decades ago and knows better now than to say it. Nowhere in the deposition does she say she has said it recently. Her brother Bubba (the albatross around her neck) may have but Paula says she didn't. It's boiled down to a he-said/she-said issue with each side of the lawsuit having their own perspective, of course.

Yes, she uses foul language (fair warning...that's in the deposition so NSFW perhaps). She comes across as having a bawdy, "un-PC" sense of humor. I'm not excusing her for it but understanding her background and her culture growing up helps to understand who she is today.

As for the wedding with the african american waiters. Yes, she did eventually say she had an ante/post-bellum wedding in mind. But when she spoke about the waiters (in the deposition), it was with what I thought was complete and utter respect for them. She encountered them at a restaurant. They were dressed immpeccably and were all about the same age and knew how to do their jobs with precision and talent. It reminded me of French waiters where they're not actors just biding their time until their big break comes through (like in America) but where being a waiter is a chosen career where you know how to do it and you do it well. Plus, I think she was visuallizing the wedding and was so impressed with those waiters visually that she thought they would have made for a grand wedding reception/dinner. Granted, having a Civil War era themed wedding would have meant they would be playing the part of slaves but that didn't occur to Paula at first (see the deposition).

Did the Food Network even read the deposition before canning her (no pun intended)? The Food Network dropping her like a hot non-PC potato is just typical and predictable corporate chicken sh!t CYA.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”
– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

#86 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:58 AM

Did the Food Network even read the deposition before canning her (no pun intended)? The Food Network dropping her like a hot non-PC potato is just typical and predictable corporate chicken sh!t CYA.

I've always been disgusted by her and her food, but I suspect that the media/internet frenzy has blown things out of proportion. She's probably getting screwed.  Having said that, I won't miss her.

She's like A-rod, underperforming and overpriced. FN I'm sure wants to bring in a rookie that costs less and took advantage of the brouhaha to trim the roster.

#87 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,696 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:18 PM

FN I'm sure wants to bring in a rookie that costs less

for sure.  FN is after all a part of a fixed package of Rather Excellent Cable. You have almost no choice in the matter.

you could go Cable Free ....

Edited by rotuts, 24 June 2013 - 12:19 PM.

#88 prasantrin

prasantrin
  • legacy participant
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:37 PM

Oh, David.  Honestly, it's not like she's single-handedly taken down the NYSE.  Martha Stewart couldn't even do that.

The plaintiff is only including Paula Deen in the suit because she has deep pockets.  Bubba has been a pack of trouble since he was a teen.  Paula tried to help him out and got burned.

I believe the plaintiff is Paula Deen because she's the owner of the restaurant. In grievances, even if the accused is an individual (could even just be a customer), it's the employer who is held at least partially responsible for not providing a safe working environment.

#89 prasantrin

prasantrin
  • legacy participant
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:45 PM

You know, if the NYT were writing up one of its hagiographic pieces about Soul Food in Harlem, the patrons would be sporting the same robust physiques and the food would be the same. 

But that's different.  What a bunch of hypocrites at the NYT.

I have to wonder if you even read the article. I thought it presented the "other side" of the argument fairly. It gave direct quotations from her supporters and did not, in my opinion, skew things to favour those who are appalled by Deen's words / behaviour. They even made a point of interviewing an African American who espoused support for Deen. (which to me, speaks of an "I'm not prejudiced; some of my best friends are [fill-in-minority-group-here] denial)

The picture is merely a picture of a line up in front of Paula Deen's restaurant the day (or thereabouts) after the crap hit the fan. I really don't believe the photographer requested all the obese people to line up at front (it appears to be the front of the line). Those just happened to the be people who were there. How does that make the NYTimes writers / photographers hypocrites?

#90 annabelle

annabelle
  • participating member
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:47 PM

You're correct prasantrin.  Isn't the plaintiff asking the defendants to prove a negative, though?  As I said upthread, the grievance of the waitress seems to be she said/he said and a boatload of hearsay.

Meanwhile, Deen's fans crush the Food Network's message boards.  Via Business Insider:  http://www.businessi...ook-page-2013-6