Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Green Papaya Salad Questions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:40 AM

My nest "first attempt" will be a green papaya salad.  I've checked and downloaded a few recipes from various cooking sites, and have a pretty good idea of how I want to proceed.  However, I do have some questions:

What kind of papaya is best suited to this salad?  It seems that the big ones are most often used, but which big ones, or does it matter?

If anyone has made this dish, any tips and suggestions would be appreciated, as would any comments on your experiences making the salad.

Thanks!

.... Shel

#2 Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow
  • participating member
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:13 PM

Hi, a green papaya salad isn't just made from unripe papaya. It is a special kind of papaya, and should be labeled as such. They are definitely different looking from the typical Hawaiian or Mexican papayas, which are eaten ripe. Sometimes I have gotten them at Berkeley Bowl. Another option would be to search out the Asian veg markets such as the ones around 12th Ave and 12th st in Oakland where a lot of Vietnamese shop and eat. I have made green papaya salad a few times, sometimes very simple ones, and sometimes Kasma's recipe, which I got from her class. If you don't know about her (she lives and teaches near Piedmont Ave in Oakand) check out her web site. Maybe her recipe is on it, dunno.

#3 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,234 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:37 PM

Second the recommendation to look for green papaya for the salad at an Asian market.

Where I shop, the green papayas for Thai salad are in a bin labeled "green papaya," so there's no doubt, or guesswork needed.  Often, they will be sliced into halves, and covered with plastic wrap, so you can clearly see that the meat is still green, and the seeds are white.

"KNOWLEDGE TENDS TO ELEVATE THE HORSES" - cdh

#4 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:21 AM

Hi, a green papaya salad isn't just made from unripe papaya. It is a special kind of papaya, and should be labeled as such. They are definitely different looking from the typical Hawaiian or Mexican papayas, which are eaten ripe. Sometimes I have gotten them at Berkeley Bowl. Another option would be to search out the Asian veg markets such as the ones around 12th Ave and 12th st in Oakland where a lot of Vietnamese shop and eat. I have made green papaya salad a few times, sometimes very simple ones, and sometimes Kasma's recipe, which I got from her class. If you don't know about her (she lives and teaches near Piedmont Ave in Oakand) check out her web site. Maybe her recipe is on it, dunno.

Monterey Market may also be a choice for the papaya, and it's closer to me than Berkeley Bowl and downtown Oakland.

Thanks for the tip about Kasma's site ... it looks to be quite interesting.

.... Shel