Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Cronuts – worth the hype?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#31 Twyst

Twyst
  • participating member
  • 296 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:58 AM

The tipster who sent us this photo witnessed this all go down last night outside of Dominique Ansel Bakery, telling us that "it wasn't even a finished Cronut... it was burnt and unfilled." The bakery never has Cronuts to toss out at the end of the day, so this was just a casualty from the frying process. Our tipster added, "It was a really sad moment. One of the cooks ran out and told them it was unsafe to eat, and they cursed at her and ran away."

Photo and story in the link

http://jezebel.com/i...-for-1130996333

#32 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 2,574 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:27 AM

Dominique Ansel Bakery shut down. :biggrin:

http://eater.com/arc...kery-in-nyc.php

http://gothamist.com...mouse_video.php

http://www.nbcnewyor...-253917201.html

#33 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 6,942 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:36 AM

Im not sure why one should be gleeful that a business has shut-down. those who depend on it for a lively hood might be a bit stressed about it.

#34 annabelle

annabelle
  • participating member
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:05 AM

If you give a mouse a cronut . . .

#35 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:51 PM

Dominique Ansel Bakery shut down. :biggrin:

http://eater.com/arc...kery-in-nyc.php
http://gothamist.com...mouse_video.php
http://www.nbcnewyor...-253917201.html

Hard to keep out every mouse in NYC. Video guy was an ass for not telling the staff and a bigger ass for putting it on the internet.

Doubtless he/she is a feckless turd still living on parental dole.

May he one day be judged by the standards he uses.
  • JeanneCake and annabelle like this

#36 annabelle

annabelle
  • participating member
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 02:14 PM

No kidding.  Talk about a dog bites man type of story:  Food Establishment in Crowded City Has Mouse Problem!

Next stop:  Ethnic restaurants cut corners!

Someone has too much leisure time on his hands.

• gfweb likes this

#37 JeanneCake

JeanneCake
  • participating member
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:48 PM

I thought exactly the same thing - what was the feckless turd trying to do taking video of it and then posting it.  As if they were trying to bring them down.  Agreed, way too much time on their hands.

• annabelle and gfweb like this

#38 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 2,574 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:35 PM

"Too much time on his/their hands"

...you mean like all those folks who get up at the crack of dawn and wait for more than an hour in line with the chance that they still won't get that cronut they fawn for? ;-)  (Whether they take videos of mice running around or not :-) )

Here are two articles on the place and on cronuts, appropriate to the thread:

http://www.thewire.c.../cronuts/65778/

http://firstwefeast....-of-the-cronut/

p.s. I agree that it would have been better if that mouse-videographer had alerted the staff there first or spoken to them, which he did not.  Maybe if they were to ignore him or blithely dismiss the observation then perhaps the posting of the video might follow... Yet he also claimed that the staff there knew the mouse was running around (Quote: "It appeared they were all aware of it.") although the bakery's statements afterwards suggested that they did not...

Edited by huiray, 06 April 2014 - 10:07 PM.

#39 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:09 PM

This is a false dichotomy.

Those who stand in line for hours  for cronuts are schmucks.     3 minutes...OK, more than that = schmuck

This has nothing to do with a guy who decided to be an ad hoc health dept..

• annabelle likes this

#40 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 2,574 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:41 PM

Perhaps.  But to me all of them would still fit the bill of "having too much time on their hands" - or at least of devoting too much time to the pursuit of something that may not be worth it.

As for the guy "being an ad hoc health dept" - hmm, I dunno - there's a grey area there. I would return to my "p.s."comments in my immediately previous post.  

In a related sense isn't it the case that Health Depts request the general public to report violations to them so they can investigate?

FWIW, it seems that they were previously cited for mice back in October last year...

http://gothamist.com...l_shut_down.php

The comments there are worth glancing over.  :-) 

Eh, it was one mouse. (Maybe it was Remy)  The bakery spokeswoman said they expected to reopen "by Monday".

Edited by huiray, 06 April 2014 - 10:44 PM.

#41 cakewalk

cakewalk
  • participating member
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:47 AM

Somehow I suspect that the guy's motivations in publicizing that video had nothing to do with his concern for public health. Well, he got his 15 minutes.

• JeanneCake, annabelle, gfweb and 1 other like this

#42 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 2,574 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:27 AM

http://gothamist.com...e_droppings.php

http://gothamist.com...ronut_rocky.php

I enjoyed reading the comments from readers in both articles.

#43 IndyRob

IndyRob
  • participating member
  • 890 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 05:34 PM

While buying donuts recently, I noticed that this particular store had 'Cronuts'.  Despite not ever having had a real Ansel Cronut, I don't think these are real cronuts.  They just seem all wrong.  A sickly sweet sugar glaze being one of the tip-offs.  Although I must say that a Bavarian Cream version seemed to have some real potential.

I searched online for any instance of the Cronut name being licensed and couldn't find any.  Being generally supportive of intellectual property laws, I thought about everything from shooting off a quick e-mail, to traveling around to different stores of this regional chain to see if I could build the case further.

Then again, I view the Cronut craze as largely over.  And I'd likely succeed only in removing another food choice in my area.

So I find myself in a bit of a quandary.  What, if anything, would you do?

#44 cdh

cdh
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 05:40 PM

Were they donuts made out of croissant dough, or where they things labelled "cronut" on the shelves? If the former, they're totally kosher.  You can't own an idea without a patent, and Ansel doesn't have one.  If the latter, then it is an infringement of the trademark rights Ansel's got. His trademark atty is listed at the PTO as:

CANDICE COOK
CA-CO GLOBAL INC./THE COOK LAW GROUP
77 WATER ST FL 8
NEW YORK, NEW YORK 10005-4418
UNITED STATES

She'd surely appreciate a heads up, and any evidence you might want to provide her.

Around me the sources of croissant dough circular pastries are all asian bakeries that don't label anything in Latin script... so no TM issues... and they are tasty... and actually are lightly glazed.

Edited by cdh, 28 January 2015 - 05:43 PM.

• catdaddy and naguere like this
Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

----- De Gustibus Non Disputandum Est

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

#45 IndyRob

IndyRob
  • participating member
  • 890 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 05:49 PM

Were they donuts made out of croissant dough, or where they things labelled "cronut" on the shelves? If the former, they're totally kosher.  You can't own an idea without a patent, and Ansel doesn't have one.  If the latter, then it is an infringement of the trademark rights Ansel's got. His trademark atty is listed at the PTO as:

CANDICE COOK
CA-CO GLOBAL INC./THE COOK LAW GROUP
77 WATER ST FL 8
NEW YORK, NEW YORK 10005-4418
UNITED STATES

She'd surely appreciate a heads up, and any evidence you might want to provide her.

They were made out of croissantish dough.  Definitely not a donut.  Probably not equal to Ansel's product.

But I think the trademark is the only thing in play.  Even if they were 100% true to the Ansel product they'd be okay as long as they weren't called Cronuts. 

Edited by IndyRob, 28 January 2015 - 05:52 PM.

#46 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 07:02 PM

Most of that supermarket croissant dough is made with MargarEEEEN, yuk...

But those Asian Cronuts are lovely cause its real butter!

• cdh and Deryn like this
Wawa Sizzli FTW!

#47 IndyRob

IndyRob
  • participating member
  • 890 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 07:06 PM

Most of that supermarket croissant dough is made with MargarEEEEN, yuk...

But those Asian Cronuts are lovely cause its real butter!

Asian Cronuts?  Wait,  I might've missed a development here...

[edit] Oh,I did. In CDH's last post.

Edited by IndyRob, 28 January 2015 - 07:17 PM.

#48 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 05:26 AM

IndyRob? If you have a big box Asian mkt near you, there is USUALLY an Asian bakery inside the food court, GO!

OMG some of those pastries are divine! Aside from the real butter cronuts, you may see a curry donut, Japanese

cheesecake, Mocha and cornbread layer cake, etc. One of my all time fave baked goods is this Korean sweet bread

that is in the shape of an Italian loaf, with Mochi and green peas inside and a crumb almond topping...I have no clue what its

called though.

• cdh likes this
Wawa Sizzli FTW!

#49 SylviaLovegren

SylviaLovegren
  • participating member
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 07:33 AM

IndyRob? If you have a big box Asian mkt near you, there is USUALLY an Asian bakery inside the food court, GO!

OMG some of those pastries are divine! Aside from the real butter cronuts, you may see a curry donut, Japanese

cheesecake, Mocha and cornbread layer cake, etc. One of my all time fave baked goods is this Korean sweet bread

that is in the shape of an Italian loaf, with Mochi and green peas inside and a crumb almond topping...I have no clue what its

called though.

The Japanese bakery at the huge Japanese market in Edgewater/Ft. Lee NJ had the most delish pastries (just stay away from the red bean paste if you're me).  The almond paste filled donuts were sublime. 

#50 KennethT

KennethT
  • participating member
  • 979 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:03 AM

While buying donuts recently, I noticed that this particular store had 'Cronuts'.  Despite not ever having had a real Ansel Cronut, I don't think these are real cronuts.  They just seem all wrong.  A sickly sweet sugar glaze being one of the tip-offs.  Although I must say that a Bavarian Cream version seemed to have some real potential.

I searched online for any instance of the Cronut name being licensed and couldn't find any.  Being generally supportive of intellectual property laws, I thought about everything from shooting off a quick e-mail, to traveling around to different stores of this regional chain to see if I could build the case further.

Then again, I view the Cronut craze as largely over.  And I'd likely succeed only in removing another food choice in my area.

So I find myself in a bit of a quandary.  What, if anything, would you do?

Regarding the OP, yes, the term "Cronut" is trademarked... see the website, http://dominiqueansel.com/cronut-101/

Personally, I would do as cdh says and send them an email telling them the name/location of the stores that are selling the items with the same name. After that, it's up to them (and their lawyers).
  • pbear likes this

#51 IndyRob

IndyRob
  • participating member
  • 890 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 02:49 PM

IndyRob? If you have a big box Asian mkt near you, there is USUALLY an Asian bakery inside the food court,

I don't believe we have those around here.  I do go to an Asian market, but it's pretty small.

However, my favorite donut shop is run by a bunch of Asian women,  All straight up American donuts though.

Anyway, I think I may wait until I find myself at another store in the chain and see if it's more than one store.  They might just be testing the product under the familiar name and plan to change them name once people find them.  An e-mail would probably just generate a C&D letter anyway,

#52 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 07:14 PM

I don't believe we have those around here.  I do go to an Asian market, but it's pretty small.

However, my favorite donut shop is run by a bunch of Asian women,  All straight up American donuts though.

Anyway, I think I may wait until I find myself at another store in the chain and see if it's more than one store.  They might just be testing the product under the familiar name and plan to change them name once people find them.  An e-mail would probably just generate a C&D letter anyway,

This is the Asian bakery at the big box Asian Market near me (Hmart Elkins Park, Pa)

http://www.parisbaguetteusa.com/

• cdh likes this
Wawa Sizzli FTW!

#53 cdh

cdh
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 10:27 AM

I actually stopped in there for a cream puff this morning... yummy!

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

----- De Gustibus Non Disputandum Est

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

#54 Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow
  • participating member
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 02:54 PM

Okay, here's my two cents. First of all, the original post really seemed to be posing a moral question, so I'm gonna back up. Is the donut shop a small mom & pop operation or independently run part of a franchise, or is it inside of a large supermarket? I don't know about where you are, but here in CA most of the standard donut shops are owned by hard woking Cambodians who probably don't see a lot of profit.

We are all of us amateur advice columnists, so I say leave well enough alone. If ya like their cronut, or whatever they are calling a cronut, buy and enjoy. If you don't then don't. The world really doesn't need a cronut police any more than it ever needed a cronut. Of course I admit I've never had one and wouldn't know a "real" one from an imposter, but in this case it seems like a little poetic license isn't hurting anyone. Reasonable? I know this doesn't address any legal issues, but where is the offense in all this, really?

Edited by Katie Meadow, 30 January 2015 - 02:54 PM.

• Anna N, cdh, barolo and 1 other like this

#55 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 04:13 PM

First, Im sorry for going so off topic,

Second, Katie I agree but Ill say this, Maybe itd be better to just talk to the Bakery/Baker from jump, maybe they dont really know its trademarked

• cdh likes this
Wawa Sizzli FTW!