Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Cookbooks – How Many Do You Own? (Part 5)

Cookbook Reference

• Please log in to reply
288 replies to this topic

#241 Ttogull

Ttogull
  • participating member
  • 237 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:15 AM

Does anyone have a good organization tips or a program for tracking web-site recipes?
I don't want to print everything that looks good...
I bookmark interesting ones. When I try them I move good ones to a folder liked, and delete the others, the the lists can get quite long.
And of course I lost them all once because I didn't back-up my computer and had a major crash.

I use Evernote for the ones I want to keep track of but don't really want to print. It comes with a browser add-on, and you just click the little button and it saves an actual copy of the page somewhere in the clouds. It's free but capped per month - I haven't yet hit the caps. You can pay to loosen the caps. It also has the benefit that it is the same on all your devices, so if you clipped on your computer and later decide at the grocery store that you want to make the recipe, you can access it with your smartphone.

#242 Ttogull

Ttogull
  • participating member
  • 237 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:16 AM

Does anyone have a good organization tips or a program for tracking web-site recipes?
I bookmark interesting ones. When I try them I move good ones to a folder liked, and delete the others, the the lists can get quite long.
And of course I lost them all once because I didn't back-up my computer and had a major crash.

I use Evernote for the ones I want to keep track of but don't really want to print. It comes with a browser add-on, and you just click the little button and it saves an actual copy of the page somewhere in the clouds. It's free but capped per month - I haven't yet hit the caps. You can pay to loosen the caps. It also has the benefit that it is the same on all your devices, so if you clipped on your computer and later decide at the grocery store that you want to make the recipe, you can access it with your smartphone.

#243 Easyezzy Foods

Easyezzy Foods
  • participating member
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:21 AM

Braam Kruger ( http://blogs.timesli...dly-remembered/) had the most cookbooks I ever saw.  Laid along the floor about 40 ft.  I have less than two and a half thousand.  and I'm finding a big gap.

We have all these books from restaurant chefs.  Somehow they get toned down for us.  The assumption is we don't have professional cooking tools.  Is it the Editor or the Chef, who is assuming?

Many Italian homes have meat slicers.  Some hunters have vacuum pack machines.  In places where the electricity is unreliable people have Anvil gas stoves.  At home! 

But, friends,  there persists this image of us; we live in little poky apartmants with a weak hotplate and a low power Microwave.  Who makes this assumption that I don't have a Wok?  That I don't have a 90litre (95Quart US) pot?  That I am not interested in cooking for 80 of my daughter's friends at her 21st party?

who is keeping secrets?

#244 sundevilpeg

sundevilpeg
  • participating member
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:41 PM

I have around 400, give or take a few, plus wooden wine crates full of old issues of 'Gourmet' from decades gone by.   One of my favorite recent re-acquisitions is the hard-bound 50th anniversary edition of the "I Hate to Cook Book," which my mother received for Xmas in the early sixties, and of which I had a paperback copy that served me well in college and beyond.  If I had a nickel for every time I've eaten "Pedro's Special" in my lifetime - well, let's just say I'd have an awfully big bag of nickels.  Funny, sharply-observed, and a time capsule to remind people that women DID in fact work back in the 60's - Peg Bracken was a San Francisco ad exec.  Highly recommended on multiple levels.  

#245 Silkhat

Silkhat
  • participating member
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:32 PM

I was embarrassed to admit I have about 200 cookbooks but after reading this thread I guess I am just a minnow.

I bought 2 new ones this past week and they contain many many wonderful recipes but are also works of arts with such great quality of printing

Curry Kitchen / Jacki Passmore / ISBN 9780670074488 / 313 pp / 10 in x 9.25 in

660 Curries /Raghavan Iyer / ISBN 9780761137870 /  809 pp / 9 in x 8 in   

#246 Alex

Alex
  • participating member
  • 2,164 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:16 PM

Even with Evernote, I hope you've starting doing regular back-ups, which is a :cool: thing to do.

Hey, this topic might make an interesting separate thread. Moderators...?

Gene Weingarten, writing in The Washington Post about online news stories and their readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"A vasectomy might cost as much as a year’s worth of ice cream, but that doesn’t mean it’s equally enjoyable." -Ezra Dyer, NY Times

#247 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:58 AM

HBPP2iX.jpg

Picked this up at Goodwill...

Now I can serve Lincolns Fricaseed chicken on Presidents Day

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

#248 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:49 AM

+ 4

Moonshine! by Matt Rowley(mbrowley)

Craft Cocktails at Home by Kevin Liu

Vegetable Literacy by Deborah Maddison

The Good Cook: Terrines, Pâtés & Galantines (Time-Life Books)

#249 kayb

kayb
  • society donor
  • 897 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:25 PM

I think I have added possibl 6 since my last post....

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

#250 Denadar

Denadar
  • participating member
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:56 PM

I only have about 350 but I have just bought another two.    Think I'll have to buy another bookcase!    (Or a bigger house)   

#251 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:49 PM

+ 1

Nigel Slater's Kitchen Diaries, found at the used book store.

#252 furzzy

furzzy
  • society donor
  • 175 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:34 AM

My last count was 1946 actual cookbooks, plus 43 related {such as Trotter's Lessons in Excellence & various (auto)biographies}. This inventory was taken in August, 2012, after donating 432 cookbooks.

In 1987, preparatory to going cruising for a couple of years, and then living on the boat, I donated over a thousand to a resale shop, along with almost 4 thousand other books.

Last August, I said I'd buy no more hard cover or paperback books. Everything would have to be Kindle, or other e-book, because my deteriorating health & weakness make it almost impossible to hold the paper ones.

Since then I've added 127 cookbooks to my iPad. That's a good thing. O:-)

But I've also purchased 17 hard covers that aren't available in e-book...right now, I'm awaiting delivery of Martha Stewart's Hors D'Oeuvres. Wednesday, M. F. K. Fisher's The aArt of Eating: 50th Anniversary Edition was delivered. Last week, Trotters Seafood, and the week before, McLagan's Fat: An Appreciation of a Misunderstood Ingredient, with Recipes.

I dare not go on...I'm frightening myself!

ETA: A few of those 127 on the iPad are duplicates of faves I already had & used a lot.

Edited by furzzy, 07 June 2013 - 11:37 AM.

#253 LT Wong

LT Wong
  • participating member
  • 104 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:18 PM

I added 18 last month after browsing through various online bookstores.

I have a question for those with too many cookbooks - how do you keep track of which book has recipes that you like to do again? I used to jot down in a (paper) notebook recipes from books that I have tried that I like to add to my Can-Do-Again list, but am finding that it's easier to record it in my laptop for easier search and retrieval purposes. I'm interested to learn how others do it so that I can perhaps learn a better way.

#254 Mjx

Mjx

Senior Host

• host
  • 5,697 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:10 PM

Add one for me: just received Modernist Cuisine at Home as a gift :)

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Senior Host, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

#255 Mofassah

Mofassah
  • participating member
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:16 AM

I only have like one meter of cookbooks. It's more than I need, since I only actively use three or four of them, and only when I on rare occasions bake cakes. I don't use recipes for any other cooking. I have read them all though, and tons more I have borrowed from the library, since I read them more or less like novels.

Edited by Mofassah, 10 June 2013 - 06:16 AM.

#256 foodie149

foodie149
  • participating member
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:51 PM

Over 500... Give or take (maybe around 750? I need to count!). Perhaps I should be ashamed, but I am not!
I organize them by obvious theme; asian, pastry, candy making, sauces, barbecue etc... I find myself needing to get creative with some of the categories, such as "chefs who deserve to be famous" and "chefs who don't deserve [it as much] to be famous". The collection is steadily growing and some of the favorites that stand out at this moment are a very complete selection of Keller's books, Modernist Cuisine at Home, and more. I make sure to pick up local books from anywhere I travel to, with everything from Medeival cooking of Scotland (no, I have not made anything from this cookbook) to Viennese specialties, Lemon themed cookbooks from the Amalfi coast, and even Ancient Peruvian. I dream of having a library room one day, and at this rate... :blush:

#257 foodie149

foodie149
  • participating member
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:53 PM

Oh and I should probably mention when I was moving I made sure to have an extra bedroom I could have enough room in for my existing book case and a badly needed new one to add to it...

Over 500... Give or take (maybe around 750? I need to count!). Perhaps I should be ashamed, but I am not!
I organize them by obvious theme; asian, pastry, candy making, sauces, barbecue etc... I find myself needing to get creative with some of the categories, such as "chefs who deserve to be famous" and "chefs who don't deserve [it as much] to be famous". The collection is steadily growing and some of the favorites that stand out at this moment are a very complete selection of Keller's books, Modernist Cuisine at Home, and more. I make sure to pick up local books from anywhere I travel to, with everything from Medeival cooking of Scotland (no, I have not made anything from this cookbook) to Viennese specialties, Lemon themed cookbooks from the Amalfi coast, and even Ancient Peruvian. I dream of having a library room one day, and at this rate... :blush:

#258 judiu

judiu
  • participating member
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:32 PM

I've gotta say, I 've had a LOT more, and occasionally fewer, but right now, I 've only got about 5 cookbooks to my name. BUT, I did just order a new one from Amazon, a reprint of Clementine Paddleford's collection of regional recipes. I don't cook much anymore, but I certainly enjoy reading these books!
"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

#259 Mofassah

Mofassah
  • participating member
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:28 AM

I received "Heston Blumenthal at home" last week, and I love it. Not much in there that's new to me though, since I have seen all his TV-programs and read all there is to read about his cooking on the internet and like a gazillion of references to his work, but I still love it. He is not just a brilliant chef, he is also a pretty decent writer. And after  a decade or two with extreme focus on photage, it's really nice to have a cookbook that is actually a good READ too, not just mouthwatering pictures of food that never looks like it does when I cook it at home anyway.

#260 Silkhat

Silkhat
  • participating member
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:31 PM

LTWong wrote

I have a question for those with too many cookbooks - how do you keep track of which book has recipes that you like to do again? I used to jot down in a (paper) notebook recipes from books that I have tried that I like to add to my Can-Do-Again list, but am finding that it's easier to record it in my laptop for easier search and retrieval purposes. I'm interested to learn how others do it so that I can perhaps learn a better way.

How I have managed this is to create a database using MS Access.

In this database I list

Recipe name

Cookbook name

Page

Location of cookbook (such as Loungeroom 1 / Shelf from bottom )

Category of recipe (such as Casserole, Slow Cooker etc )

Notes ( When I have made this particular recipe )

It was very easy to make the database using MS Access. I can search the database to show say all Chicken Casseroles , Beef slow cooked etc

Neil

#261 heidih

heidih
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 10,651 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:27 PM

LTWong wrote

How I have managed this is to create a database using MS Access.

In this database I list
Recipe name
Cookbook name
Page
Location of cookbook (such as Loungeroom 1 / Shelf from bottom )
Category of recipe (such as Casserole, Slow Cooker etc )
Notes ( When I have made this particular recipe )

It was very easy to make the database using MS Access. I can search the database to show say all Chicken Casseroles , Beef slow cooked etc

Neil

Silkhat - you may want to jump over to this topic http://www.eatyourbooks.com/

#262 tsp.

tsp.
  • participating member
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:00 PM

I received "Heston Blumenthal at home" last week, and I love it.

I recently made the lemon tart from that book, it came out so well (for a hack like me).

#263 Mofassah

Mofassah
  • participating member
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:55 PM

I received "Heston Blumenthal at home" last week, and I love it.

I recently made the lemon tart from that book, it came out so well (for a hack like me).

I did the roasted chicken last weekend, but I did it in a combo with how he describes in the book and the way he did it in his TV show, which is much the same only with brine, and even lower and slower, I roasted mine for 8 hours, and it is by far the best chicken I've made ... or eaten even. It was worth the pirce of the book itself, and I can't wait to try the other recipes. Will try the lemon tart this weekend.

#264 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:46 PM

+ 4

The Zuni Café Cookbook, Judy Rodgers

The Cocktail Lab, Tony Conigliaro

The Drunken Botanist, Amy Stewart

Jigger, Beaker, & Glass, Charles H. Baker Jr.

9346087275_ddc80e2112_z.jpg

#265 LT Wong

LT Wong
  • participating member
  • 104 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:11 AM

Frogprincesse,

How's the Drunken Botanist and the Cocktail Lab? 

They're in my "Future Purchase" category.

I have the Zuni Cafe book, and love it.

#266 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:43 AM

Frogprincesse,

How's the Drunken Botanist and the Cocktail Lab? 

They're in my "Future Purchase" category.

Hi LT,

I recommend both books. The Drunken Botanist is a well-researched and well-written book that is very pleasant to read. Buy it if you are interested about botany and the history of plants used to make alcoholic beverages. If you are mostly interested in cocktail recipes, the book only contains a few.

The Cocktail Lab has a lot of recipes, some that are easily achievable at home, and some that require equipment that most people don't have access to (centrifuge, rotavap, etc). But unlike most cocktail books which are a collection of recipes, this one describes the ideas behind these drinks and the creative process, and that makes it a fascinating (and inspiring) read.

Edited by FrogPrincesse, 15 August 2013 - 08:44 AM.

#267 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,574 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:34 AM

Progressing in the opposite direction and giving up cook books.  My chocolate and confectionery career, such as it was, is over (health reasons) and 27 books are now gone from my cookbook library. 

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#268 chefian

chefian
  • participating member
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:16 AM

Shelves sagging with 187 now, after birthday and holidays i am hoping to break 200.

#269 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:17 PM

I have to stop buying books.

In the Kitchen with Alain Passard, Christophe Blain

The A.O.C Cookbook, Suzanne Goin

The Curious Bartender, Tristan Stephenson

The Art of the Shim, Dinah Sanders

And, a little late, Lucky Peach Issue 8 - The Gender Issue

10847252914_2135c70977_z.jpg

• judiu likes this

#270 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,234 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:19 PM

And I recently invested in two Paula Deen cookbooks:  "The Lady & Sons, Savannah Country Cookbook"; and, "The Lady & Sons, Too." 

Previously had none.  But with all of the publicity, especially those decrying her horrible and fattening recipes, like Sweet Potato Pie, Baked Tomato Casserole, Charcoal-grilled Vidalia Onions, Squash & Corn Casserole, Roast Pork with Plum Sauce...

Well, I couldn't resist!

• judiu likes this

"KNOWLEDGE TENDS TO ELEVATE THE HORSES" - cdh

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cookbook, Reference