Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Cookbooks – How Many Do You Own? (Part 5)

Cookbook Reference

• Please log in to reply
288 replies to this topic

#271 Mofassah

Mofassah
  • participating member
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:21 PM

Yay. I have acquired the "Modernist Cuisine -  The Art and Science of Cooking". What a beauty in 6 volumes!

Edited by Mofassah, 26 November 2013 - 01:22 PM.

#272 judiu

judiu
  • participating member
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:45 PM

I received The Southern Cooking Bible by Paula Deen, a Clementine Paddleford volume (of which I think little) and a dozen community cookbooks, all but 1 of which have good things to offer, so that's 12 new ones for me and 2 for the library when I get there! I'm at it again... %)
  • Jaymes likes this
"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

#273 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,234 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:53 AM

I received The Southern Cooking Bible by Paula Deen, a Clementine Paddleford volume (of which I think little) and a dozen community cookbooks, all but 1 of which have good things to offer, so that's 12 new ones for me and 2 for the library when I get there! I'm at it again... %)

I'll be very curious to see what you think of "The Southern Cooking Bible."  Certainly a great name.

Do you think I need it?  I'm definitely a parishioner of the Church of Southern Cooking, soulful and saved and washed in the Bourbon.  Halleluiah, y'all!

Do I need the Bible?

And, "at it again"...  At what?

Edited by Jaymes, 28 November 2013 - 11:40 AM.

• judiu likes this

"KNOWLEDGE TENDS TO ELEVATE THE HORSES" - cdh

#274 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 11:12 AM

I am 5 books away from completing my 39 book set of ALL the Time Life Good Cook series I even have the thin paperback Well Equipped Kitchen "accessory' book.
Then I can complete my Betty Crocker spirals and the TL World series and TL Healthy Home Cooking and Weeks Worth Of Menus series

Im still bitter that Koenemann Publishers never completed their Culinaria series...

BTW does anyone know anything about this series?
http://www.amazon.co...=I2I4KIKITPNDYY
Wawa Sizzli FTW!

#275 DiggingDogFarm

DiggingDogFarm
  • participating member
  • 731 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 11:50 AM

If "cookbooks" includes all food related books with recipes I have in the neighborhood of 3,500....give or take a couple hundred.

I don't have many newer books like most folks in this thread (I buy maybe 15-20 new cookbooks per year), most of mine are older, some very old.

I inherited about 300 cookbooks from my grandmother when she passed 7 years ago.

About 2000 of the books are digitized....I've added many out-of-print/out-of-copyright cookbooks to my digital collection in the past couple years since I built a DIY book scanner.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm, 28 November 2013 - 12:05 PM.

• judiu, Shelby and SylviaLovegren like this

~Martin

Unsupervised rebellious and radical farmer, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, nonconformist and contrarian who questions everything!

#276 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:33 PM

DiggingDog?

Thats completely badass
  • judiu likes this
Wawa Sizzli FTW!

#277 judiu

judiu
  • participating member
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:25 PM

Jaymes, At it? Cookbook collecting. Really like the Southern Cooking Bible, but there are a few kinda things that strike me as a little, er, gross, like some of her hot salads. It might just be a matter of terminology, though. Like if she called a hot macaroni salad a casserole... Being she IS Paula Deen, there are some great sweets, also sweet & salty combos, which I personally LOVE. If you can find it at the library, do so, read, then decide. Personally, I like it, and her pimento cheese, too! Oh, yeah, good dips...

#278 SylviaLovegren

SylviaLovegren
  • participating member
  • 988 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:32 PM

Judiu, you didn't like Clementine Paddleford?  Is it the big American volume where she talks about the people who give her the recipes?  That's much more interesting than the condensed version that just has the recipes, which may -- then -- just strike you as old-fashioned.  Context is enriching.

I'm trying to learn about Canadian cooking.  Just picked up a 1939 Purity Flour cookbook, which is fun.  And a book about the Amish in Ontario from the 50s -- it has recipes, so it counts, I think!  So add my two more. 

#279 judiu

judiu
  • participating member
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:32 PM

Sylvia, yeah, it's the big book, but her writing and syntax are hard to plow through, and it concentrates on NY, CA, TX and mostly sweets. Hmm, maybe I'm just being a grump... YMMV

I agree with the context idea, it could have better edited, though!

ETA:her editing.

Edited by judiu, 06 December 2013 - 02:34 PM.

#280 SylviaLovegren

SylviaLovegren
  • participating member
  • 988 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:40 AM

Sylvia, yeah, it's the big book, but her writing and syntax are hard to plow through, and it concentrates on NY, CA, TX and mostly sweets. Hmm, maybe I'm just being a grump... YMMV

I agree with the context idea, it could have better edited, though!

ETA:her editing.

That's interesting that you find her writing and syntax difficult. Maybe it's an age thing -- are you young? I'm old enough to have known many folks of Paddleford's generation and both heard and read a lot of them, too. Her writing always reminds me of the Roz Russell character in the movie "His Gal Friday," which I adore.

#281 judiu

judiu
  • participating member
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:19 PM

No, Sylvia, not young age-wise, but a firm believer that "even though I'm getting older, I refuse to grow up"! Maybe if I were listening to her speak, rather than reading the words, she would be fascinating, but filtered thru several editors, the recipes don't excite me much. The snippets about the people, yes! Sorry if I popped your balloon... %)
  • SylviaLovegren likes this

#282 Alex

Alex
  • participating member
  • 2,162 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 04:44 PM

Two new ones: one bought, one a present

50 Great Curries of India, by Camellia Panjabi

Southern Cocktails, by Denise Gee

Edited by Alex, 04 January 2014 - 09:45 PM.

Gene Weingarten, writing in The Washington Post about online news stories and their readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"A vasectomy might cost as much as a year’s worth of ice cream, but that doesn’t mean it’s equally enjoyable." -Ezra Dyer, NY Times

#283 ahpadt

ahpadt
  • participating member
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:52 PM

A few weeks before Christmas I got Martin Picard - Sugar Shack Au Pied de Cochon. I like it a lot. Delicious sounding recipies and really cool photography (included the half-naked girls covered in maple syrup - lol). The mille-feuille in it looks outrageous.

For Christmas I got:

Lucky Peach #3 - #9

Tom Kerridge - Proper Pub Food

Daniel Patterson - Coi: Stories and Recipes

Philip Howard - The Square: Sweet

Magnus Nilsson - Fäviken

Pascal Barbot - Astrance: A Cook's Book

Rene Redzepi - A Work In Progress

Alex Atala - D.O.M.

Harold McGee - McGee on Food and Cooking: An Encyclopedia of Kitchen Science, History and Culture

I'm still very new with collecting cookery books. I have 20-30 in total now, but I'm only in my mid 20's so space is an issue. Michel Bras - Essential Cuisine is on it's way.

Edited by ahpadt, 04 January 2014 - 05:54 PM.

#284 Robenco15

Robenco15
  • participating member
  • 209 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:11 PM

Got Daniel: My French Cuisine, Manresa, Le Pigeon, and 4 Seasons at Table no. 5. Really loved adding Daniel and 4 Seasons at Table No. 5 to my French rep. which already included Bras' Essential Cuisine, Astrance, The French Laundry, Les Halles, Ma Gastronomie, and Julia's Mastering the Art of..But perhaps my favorite surprise of christmas was Le Pigeon. Really enjoying it. And Manresa reminds me of The French Laundry Cookbook in its story and excellence of recipes. Really fantastic. But being inteoduced to Alleno's food and planning on cooking it and sourcing it all is incredible. I've decided I've reached a point where I don't need anymore more equipment or books and want to start spending money on the actual haute cuisine products available to me.

#285 ahpadt

ahpadt
  • participating member
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:37 AM

Michel Bras - Essential Cuisine is on it's way.

It has now arrived. To be honest I am a little disappointed. It's poorly translated and the layout isn't very inspiring. Just pages and pages of recipes with little text. Maybe I am too used to the high quality of books that are released these days?

Don't get me wrong, the ethos of the book is great, but it feels like it was made on a shoe string budget. I can however now see where Rene Redzepi got a lot of his inspiration from.

#286 Robenco15

Robenco15
  • participating member
  • 209 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:45 AM

Michel Bras - Essential Cuisine is on it's way.

It has now arrived. To be honest I am a little disappointed. It's poorly translated and the layout isn't very inspiring. Just pages and pages of recipes with little text. Maybe I am too used to the high quality of books that are released these days?

Don't get me wrong, the ethos of the book is great, but it feels like it was made on a shoe string budget. I can however now see where Rene Redzepi got a lot of his inspiration from.

Yeah it is from 2000? 2001? I can't believe how ahead of everything he was, not that I'm an expert of what cuisine was in the early 2000's late 1990's, but still. Pretty incredible and I don't mind the book too much. Haven't done anything yet from it but planning on a couple things. Not terribly difficult recipes.

#287 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:20 AM

Cookbooks now at 185.

First cookbook purchased, 2nd hand or new since December 2012.  And a winner:  Power Hungry: The Ultimate Energy Bar Cookbook.  Camilla V. Saulsbury.  Have now made about 6 or 7 of her recipes with delicious success and have committed myself to making all the recipes in the book.  To that end I have started a eG thread also:   "Power Hungry": making the bars from recipe #1.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#288 Alex

Alex
  • participating member
  • 2,162 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:27 PM

Two, bought at the going-out-of-business sale of one branch of a local bookseller (lousy location; the others are thriving):

The Breath of a Wok -- Grace Young and Alan Richardson

The Best New Recipe, Revised -- Editors of Cooks Illustrated

Gene Weingarten, writing in The Washington Post about online news stories and their readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"A vasectomy might cost as much as a year’s worth of ice cream, but that doesn’t mean it’s equally enjoyable." -Ezra Dyer, NY Times

#289 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:01 AM

A souvenir from Australia. Eau de Vie is a bar in Darlinghurst (Sydney).

12921224034_392a59b656_z.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cookbook, Reference