Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Caramel Bar Sets?

Confections

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Matthew Kirshner

Matthew Kirshner
  • participating member
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:05 PM

Hello Everyone,

I have a client who is interested in chocolate covered caramels.  I was wondering if there was a cheaper solution to caramel bar sets to use instead. I would rather not use sheet pans.  Any suggestion would be great.

Thank You!!

Matt

#2 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,864 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:28 PM

Yup - I go to a place called the Metal Supermarket - get them to cut me 1/2 inch square aluminum bar to the lengths I want.  I get hubby to buff the ends so they aren't sharp at all.  I actually have a variety of bars from 1/2 by 1/4 to 1 inch square for a variety of projects.  Very inexpensive compared to the purchased caramel bars.  

#3 Alleguede

Alleguede
  • participating member
  • 110 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:59 PM

You can also use a frame, silicone noodle, ...

#4 Edward J

Edward J
  • participating member
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:54 AM

Same metal supermarket, but s/s instead of aluminum.

#5 pastrygirl

pastrygirl
  • society donor
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:15 PM

How big a batch do you need to make at once? I use a square false-bottomed cake pan lined with parchment, fine for the occasional small batch, and the sides are perpendicular, unlike a sheet pan.

Edited by pastrygirl, 15 May 2013 - 07:16 PM.

#6 Matthew Kirshner

Matthew Kirshner
  • participating member
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:09 AM

sorry for the late response to this pastrygirl,  I needed at least 60 caramels.  I managed to build an 8" square from my local steel works place(literally costs me $3) so it got the job done.  I would have normally just use a sheet pan or a square cake pan, but in the past it was harder to remove the product from the pan.  thank you everyone for the advise.   I am sure I will have more questions later on as I am getting my catering business grows. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Confections