Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Report: eG Chocolate and Confectionery Workshop 2013

Report Chocolate Confections

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#61 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:05 PM

8704395630_e080a2977a_z.jpg

8703271753_eb83c99f1f_z.jpg

8703268967_18c040f624_z.jpg

8704386632_a21a0c37c6_z.jpg

8703264387_5cb58e6364_z.jpg

8703260965_b4889e8b8d_z.jpg

#62 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:09 PM

8704378958_5b59b90ac4_z.jpg

8703255161_95df99d0d0_z.jpg

8703254517_4e1717ab36_z.jpg

8703252593_773e9152ea_z.jpg

8703250309_b6190f8cbc_z.jpg

#63 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:46 PM

You actually ate beaver?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#64 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,848 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:56 PM

You actually ate beaver?

And it was pretty darn yummy too!  Almost enough to make one want to change teams.

#65 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,531 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:07 PM

You actually ate beaver?

And it was pretty darn yummy too!  Almost enough to make one want to change teams.

:biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin: 

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#66 prasantrin

prasantrin
  • legacy participant
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:16 PM

You actually ate beaver?

It's the people who eat raw beaver that you have to worry about!

#67 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:20 PM

You actually ate beaver?

Jokes aside, it was so good I went back for seconds... I think it was braised in red wine. It reminded me of slow-cooked short ribs.

Edited by FrogPrincesse, 05 May 2013 - 05:41 PM.

#68 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,848 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:03 PM

You actually ate beaver?

It's the people who eat raw beaver that you have to worry about!

Indeed - I understand trichinosis is a real problem!

#69 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,531 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:46 PM

You actually ate beaver?

Jokes aside, it was so good I went back for seconds... I think it was braised in red wine. It reminded me of slow-cooked short ribs.

Where I live, beaver isn't particularly unusual to see on someone's plate. So I wasn't really caught by the surprise/excitement of it. The jokes, however, are always still fun. :biggrin: Seriously though, a lot of critters I would never have considered as food sources have turned out to be surprisingly not bad or even good. I keep telling myself that one of these days, I'm going to make the effort to really dig in and learn more about the traditional foods of this area. Knowledge of it seems to be disappearing rapidly.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#70 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:53 AM

No jokes from me.  I am never eating beaver.  Never.  I'll have salad, please.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#71 lebowits

lebowits
  • participating member
  • 542 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:55 AM

Kerry -  Thanks for organizing another fantastic weekend!  I always have fun with this group and it I'm never surprised that there are so many things to learn from each other.  I do however want to register a complaint that nobody used the "thin" filter on their cameras.  I'm going to have to change my name to "Fat Bastard".

Steve Lebowitz
Doer of All Things
Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

#72 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,848 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:01 AM

Kerry -  Thanks for organizing another fantastic weekend!  I always have fun with this group and it I'm never surprised that there are so many things to learn from each other.  I do however want to register a complaint that nobody used the "thin" filter on their cameras.  I'm going to have to change my name to "Fat Bastard".

And me to "Old Broad".  Got to pretend to be a 34 year old this weekend at the Family Practice exams - not a single person commented on the grey hair strangely!

#73 MelissaH

MelissaH
  • participating member
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:04 AM

No photos here, but I'm adding my loud voice to the chorus of thanks. Kerry, it was a marvelous weekend, and I'm really glad I was able to come and stay for the whole weekend this time. I can't remember the last time a whole table laughed so much while eating dinner—and it's probably a good thing the beaver was not served earlier in the meal because I don't want to know what other jokes might have come out. I wish I got to play with chocolate with other people more often!

MelissaH
Oswego, NY
Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

#74 psantucc

psantucc
  • participating member
  • 83 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:01 AM

Part one of my wrestling with technology is over: some not very good, but possibly helpful, video is to be had here:

http://www.youtube.c...psantucc/videos

My thanks also to Kerry and all our demonstrators, including the informal ones (I'm looking at you, RoberM!) who are always worth watching work. I learned a few things:

- I'd forgotten much of my moulding technique, and need to brush up!

- Great technique for fondant and cordial cherries

- Halvah is hard for everyone

- The very cool decoration with lustre dust in alcohol on the edge of an acetate

- Some caramel troubleshooting tips I'm eager to put into practice

- Someday, I'm going to have a pan. And an enrober. And a pony...

I didn't mange to try out my refractometer! I imagine you'll see some posts from me when I do.

Thanks to Chocolat for indulging a longtime fan with an autograph for my copy of her book.

Thanks to MelissaH  for the challenge that led to Ketchup Ganache with bacon, everyone willing to try it, and lebowits for a straight-faced and legitimate critique: smaller pieces of bacon more evenly dispersed.

Thanks to the kitchen and bar crew for a quality of dinner not to be had at any price anywhere else.

Photos to come if anything worthy appeared in my very poor phone.

Apologies for things I've already forgotten. Remind me at Workshop 2014!

Little surprises 'round every corner, but nothing dangerous

#75 Prabha

Prabha
  • participating member
  • 84 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:20 PM

Thanks for the great pictures, everyone! I'm reliving the great time through the pictures.

#76 YetiChocolates

YetiChocolates
  • participating member
  • 128 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:25 PM

Thanks to MelissaH  for the challenge that led to Ketchup Ganache with bacon, everyone willing to try it, and lebowits for a straight-faced and legitimate critique: smaller pieces of bacon more evenly dispersed.

So that's what the chocolate was supposed to be...I had a Russell Stover experience with all the chocolates I took away with me. Have to say I wasn't the biggest fan of this particular chocolate (sorry!). One suggestion I might have would be to make the bacon crispier, the piece I got the bacon was definitely too soft and chewy for my taste :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Report, Chocolate, Confections