Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Measuring Flour

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 Edward J

Edward J
  • participating member
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 08:40 PM

Also, Lisa Shock's comment is spot on:
It really is high time that all publications of recipes publish by weight, and preferably using the metric system. All publications I come across out of the US that are for the professional chef are in metric weight, and have been for as long as I can remember. A kitchen scale is, in this day and age, a necessity in every kitchen. Publishers, especially in the US, need to get "with it" and evolve with worldwide trends.

The question is, HOW do we convince the magazines to do this.  Last time I bought a C I magazine, there was a caveat in the front page about weights and measurements, seems that flour should be weighed (scaled) out, but everyting else is measured out in volume--except chocolate which comes in standard 1 oz sqaures (but only in the US).

So the magazines are very well aware of the situation.  Both a nurse and a long distance truck driver use scales in their daily work, and everyone has jumped on a scale in the bathroom at home or at the doctors, and anyone who has traveled by air knows how much their suitcases should weigh, and how much they actually weigh.  It's not a foreign concept. Why then, the absolute refusal to acknowledge that professions the world over have been using scales for centuries, and continue to do so? 

• Lisa Shock and JohnT like this

#32 Smithy

Smithy
  • host
  • 3,368 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:51 PM

How much difference does the humidity make when weighing flour, and how should one compensate for it?  Is it just a matter of 'feel' for the dough that one develops with experience?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

#33 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,096 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:09 PM

How much difference does the humidity make when weighing flour, and how should one compensate for it?  Is it just a matter of 'feel' for the dough that one develops with experience?

When making bread for sure it is gaining a feel for the dough. Most decent recipes will put you within striking distance but that's it. I used to believe that if I weighed carefully everything would just work but it took lots of frustrating failures for me to learn a recipe is a suggestion not a prescription. And this is especially so with bread.
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#34 JohnT

JohnT
  • participating member
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:35 PM

I have never taken humidity into consideration when making pastry or batter for cakes - I do not make huge batches. However, when making bread dough I go for the correct weights in my formulars and sometimes find the flour does not absorb as much water as on a previous batch. This is when the hands tell the brain that a bit more flour is needed to get the correct "feel", which takes a bit of time and experience. When I first started baking in 1976, my Swiss mentor told me to make my dough "wetter" to get a good rise and crumb - he kept on about hydration percentages, which took me some time to realise what he was on about. His English was not very good. But I did learn with his hands-on approach. I enjoy bread baking but only do pretty basic breads for a couple of restaurants - more dinner rolls than loaves. A couple of years ago I went for some schooling on more artisanal baking and was given a book by Daniel T. DiMuzio as part of my instruction. It really opened my perspective and is a brilliant book for both amateur and professional bakers.
Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.