Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

What Beers Did You Drink Today? Or Yesterday? (Part 2)

• Please log in to reply
560 replies to this topic

#31 70/30

70/30
  • participating member
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 10:21 PM

It's been very warm here in Virginia so I've been enjoying some easy-drinking beers. Particularly Troegs Rugged Trail Ale. I'm not a huge fan of brown ale but it's tasty and a good thirst quencher.
How say you to a fat tripe finely broil'd? -W. Shakespeare, The Taming of the Shrew, IV, 3:

#32 Al Abonado

Al Abonado
  • participating member
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 09:43 AM

Picked up La Terrible by Unibroue the other day. What a fantastic beer.

#33 JimH

JimH
  • legacy participant
  • 366 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 01:37 PM

I had an Ommegang Belgian Witte for the first time last week. If you like Belgian style beer you'll love this one, the flavor is incredible.

#34 toweringpine

toweringpine
  • participating member
  • 101 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 06:47 AM

I've been enjoying Belhaven's Twisted Thistle on tap at my local pub recently. A fantastic brew. Yesterday I found it in bottles at the LCBO. I am looking forward to trying them out while watching the race this afternoon.

#35 Tim Dolan

Tim Dolan
  • participating member
  • 507 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 08:43 AM

I had a beer called Atomium yesterday which was really nice. Didn't get the name of the brewer though. Anybody know anything about it?

Edit: Well, a quick Google search showed that Atomium is the brewer, and the Grand Cru is the only beer they make. It was quite tasty.

Edited by Tim Dolan, 22 October 2007 - 08:46 AM.

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...
Homer Simpson

#36 pickledgarlic

pickledgarlic
  • participating member
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 05:14 PM

Sitting in my lab (joys of being a grad student) staring at a few empty Phillip's Brewing Co. Draught Dodger, out of Victoria BC. I haven't seen anything else of their stuff kicking around though.

They have a maple cream ale apparently. I need to go find it.

Very tasty.

#37 Tim Dolan

Tim Dolan
  • participating member
  • 507 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 01:54 PM

Over the weekend I had few goblets of Maudite from Unibroue, which was delicious, and a pint of Vanilla Java Porter from Atwater Brewing Co. The latter was definitely interesting, and you could definitely taste the vanilla and coffee, but I'm not so sure the body carried the flavors as well as it could've.
Homer Simpson

#38 mtigges

mtigges
  • participating member
  • 482 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 08:03 AM

Sitting in my lab (joys of being a grad student) staring at a few empty Phillip's Brewing Co. Draught Dodger, out of Victoria BC.  I haven't seen anything else of their stuff kicking around though.

They have a maple cream ale apparently.  I need to go find it.

Very tasty.

View Post

Everything from philips is amazing. The best brewery in BC I think. My fave is their new bitter (at least I think it's new). Not a big fan of the maple cream though. A bit too sweet for my tastes.

#39 planojim

planojim
  • participating member
  • 86 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 09:45 AM

just picked up a 6 of Schlafly Dry Hopped APA while in St Louis. I'd never heard of it before, but, I like it very much.

also got a 6 of Odells IPA.

#40 Brad Ballinger

Brad Ballinger
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 11:18 AM

I recently had some Bell's Winter White Ale. Tomy palate, I couldn't detect much that makes it different from any other white or wheat ale. But, it being winter and all, I didn't really taste it side by side with anything else. I liked it nonetheless.
We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

#41 Batard

Batard
  • participating member
  • 389 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 01:27 PM

Anchor Christmas Ale!

Our local beerstore has some bottles from 2005 and 2006 stored away for special customers, and so I will be doing a vertical tasting of those 2 years against the 2007. A year or two in the bottle does wonders for this stuff. :)

The Sierrra Nevada Celebration Ale is tasting really good too, for all you hop-heads out there.

Edited by Batard, 24 December 2007 - 01:39 PM.

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."
Fergus Henderson

#42 Natho

Natho
  • participating member
  • 120 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 04:53 AM

On boxing day my friend and i picked up some interesting looking beers we had never tried and had a crack
Montieths doppelbok winter ale - Not bad, but not great either
Macs Sassy Red - See previous judgement
James Boags Wizard Smith - Again, see previous judgement
Harviestoun Old Engine Oil - Great! Will definitely buy it again.

That was the experimentals, we also drank bucket loads of tooheys old and plenty of homebrew
"Alternatively, marry a good man or woman, have plenty of children, and train them to do it while you drink a glass of wine and grow a moustache." -Moby Pomerance

#43 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • 9,156 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 02:37 PM

We just got the Birifico Italiano La Fleurette on draught at my bar and I tasted it yesterday. Really interesting stuff brewed with honey, roses, violets, elderberry and pepper. Only three barrels in the country I'm told. Very elegant, floral and delicious.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

#44 Rich Pawlak

Rich Pawlak
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 10:21 AM

OK, I've gotta get over to Chcik's for that stuff; sounds quite interesting!

Last night in our weekly beer chat, The No Bull Inn, on starchat.net (11PM EST), I sampled the latest Oatmeal Stout and Scotch Ale from Saranac, from their 12 Beers of Winter pack. The oatmeal was good and roasty, if a bit thin for an oatmeal stout; the Scotch Ale was quite nice, good caramel notes, and a nice silky mouthfeel.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

#45 theisenm85

theisenm85
  • participating member
  • 90 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 01:57 AM

Anchor Steam Bock

Didn't love it. The aroma hop addition (at least I assume it was this for the most part because it showed up barely at all in the taste) was a bit annoying. Seemed a bit dark and roasty for a bock, more like a stout or porter.

#46 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 12:54 PM

Anchor Steam Bock

Didn't love it.  The aroma hop addition (at least I assume it was this for the most part because it showed up barely at all in the taste) was a bit annoying.  Seemed a bit dark and roasty for a bock, more like a stout or porter.

View Post

Not really that big a fan, myself, of the Anchor Bock. Tastes pretty much like their Holiday Beer without the spices.

As a point of fact: Apparently, for years, a friend had been bothering Mr. Maytag, the proprietor of Anchor Brewing, to produce a Bock Beer. Anchor was his favorite brewery and Bock was his favorite type of beer. As a matter of coincidence, Potrero Hill, where Anchor is currently located in San Francisco, used to be called "Goat Hill" because a farmer grazed goats on a pasture there. Bock is the German word for Billy-Goat. In any case, after his friend died, Mr. Maytag produced the beer as a sort of memorial.
---
Erik Ellestad
If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#47 TBoner

TBoner
  • participating member
  • 113 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 11:13 PM

Today was a Great Divide Fresh Hop and and Bridgeport ESB. Haven't been posting regularly, so I'll add that lately it's been homebrewed oatmeal stout, Real Ale Full Moon Rye Pale Ale, Hop Rod Rye, and Foret.
Tim

#48 Tim Dolan

Tim Dolan
  • participating member
  • 507 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 09:40 AM

Over the holiday break, me and a few friends decided to hit a local bar (Flat Rock in Manayunk) with an outstanding selection of all kinds of different beers and have a holiday beer tasting. We started off with a Chimay Blue to warm us up, then went with a Belgian (I believe) called Golden Dragon. Not a holiday beer, but damn good.

The first holiday beer was the Mad Elf from Troegs. I happen to think that this beer was better when they first brewed it a few years ago, but it's still nice. After that we moved on to Delerium Noel, which I loved. Up next came a beer called Samiclaus, which tipped the scales at an astonishing 14% alcohol. You could definitely taste the alcohol, but it wasn't as pronounced as you would think a 14% banger would be. After this we throttled down a bit and went with Sam Smith's holiday beer (forget the name), which I liked but my friends weren't so fond of. After this we were joined by another friend who grabbed a round of Mad Elfs for everyone. I find it somewhat amazing that I remembered all this, as my memory was quite hazy by this time. :wink:

The high alcohol content was the common thread among all these beers, and as you can imagine we were all toasted by the end of our impropmtu session, but that was kind of our goal anyway. Definitely a great way to get you into the Christmas spirit.
Homer Simpson

#49 Tim Dolan

Tim Dolan
  • participating member
  • 507 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 09:49 AM

Also had Delerium Tremens for the first time the other night. Outstanding. I'm pretty much new to Belgians, and it's great to starting finding out just how good they are.
Homer Simpson

#50 Joe Power

Joe Power
  • participating member
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 09:32 AM

Last night I had a couple of bottles of St. Arnold's Oktoberfests that I forgot I had. I was surprised that they still tasted nice and fresh.

#51 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,792 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 12:59 PM

I used beer with two courses of a multi-course valentine's day dessert thing I did. One course was paired with Morte Subite raspberry lambic and another with Fruli strawberry beer. There were people present who aren't wine fans so I went with beers and cocktails as pairings instead (with the exception of a Canadian ice wine with a course involving milk chocolate and pear... they can't have everything their way). I've been a fan of lambics for a long time but this was my first time with the Fruli. It was well received and it's not bad as fruit beer goes but it's not really something I'd sit around and drink on a regular basis.
It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#52 Amarantha

Amarantha
  • participating member
  • 79 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 08:19 PM

Just back from lunch. Bratwurst and kransky on stoemp, accompanied by:

Franziskaner Hefe Weizen
Light, citrussy - hoegaardeny. My fiance wasn't a fan; he said the taste and smell reminded him of pinetarsol. I could kinda see where he got that, but I wasn't getting it.

Biere du Boucanier
A fine example of rich, dark Belgian-ness. Sweet, fruity, malty, heady.

Also had a sip or two of my fiance's Grimbergen Dubbel - smooth attack, followed by a marvellous nutty toastiness.

*edit to correct typos - that'll teach me to psot drnuk*

Edited by Amarantha, 04 March 2008 - 08:20 PM.

There Will Be Bloody Marys

#53 Rich Pawlak

Rich Pawlak
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 10:05 PM

Sierra Nevada Schwarzbier., Chico, CA

A silky malt monster, yet not cloying or sticky on the palate.

Victory Baltic Thunder, Downingtown, PA

The resurrection (and preservation) of the original Perkuno's Hammer Baltic Porter from the now closed (R.I.P) Heavyweight Brewing Co. of NJ, this was a rich, plummy, chewy brew with cabernet sauvingnon complexity and dark coffee undertones.

Two lovely fireplace beers.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

#54 cathrynapple

cathrynapple
  • participating member
  • 372 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 12:25 PM

Strongbow. Does that count? I'm teased for having this particular favorite.

#55 austramerica

austramerica
  • participating member
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 07:15 PM

View Post

I love Strongbow! In fact I haven't had Strongbow for a good while so when I go home to Melbourne (Australia) this coming end of May, I will have one a day for each of my three weeks stay...

In the meantime, I have a small bottle of Budweiser with my spagbol tonight...

Cheers,
austramerica
Life is short: Break the rules...Forgive quickly...Kiss slowly...Love truly...Laugh uncontrollably...And never regret anything that made you smile. Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance...

#56 oenologic

oenologic
  • participating member
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 05:52 AM

I'm in Buenos Aires at the moment, the standard of domestic beer is very poor, including most micro brews alas. However, there is one fantastic brewery called 'Bersaglier' they make a really great kolsch that tastes like a pilsner with lees (nothing like a real kolsch thankfully, I've always been disappointed in Koln) and a very pretty scotch ale (their name) hard to find but worth hunting down.

#57 toweringpine

toweringpine
  • participating member
  • 101 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 09:47 AM

View Post

I love Strongbow! In fact I haven't had Strongbow for a good while so when I go home to Melbourne (Australia) this coming end of May, I will have one a day for each of my three weeks stay...

In the meantime, I have a small bottle of Budweiser with my spagbol tonight...

Cheers,
austramerica

View Post

Is the Strongbow in Australia different than what we get in Canada? My wife tells me she liked the sweet cider she had in Australia ( I think it was Strongbow brand ) but the Strongbow that is available here is much less sweet and has a very different flavour.

Can anyone recommend a brand available in Canada that would be similar to the Australian Strongbow? Thanks

#58 Tim Dolan

Tim Dolan
  • participating member
  • 507 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:56 PM

The resurrection (and preservation) of the original Perkuno's Hammer Baltic Porter from the now closed (R.I.P) Heavyweight Brewing Co. of NJ, this was a rich, plummy, chewy brew with cabernet sauvingnon complexity and dark coffee undertones.

View Post

I believe I read somewhere that the old Heavyweight brewer was opening a place a few doors down from McMenamin's? Is that correct?
Homer Simpson

#59 jesskidden

jesskidden
  • participating member
  • 99 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 01:45 PM

View Post

I believe I read somewhere that the old Heavyweight brewer was opening a place a few doors down from McMenamin's? Is that correct?

View Post

Earth, Bread + Brewery

Earth, Bread + Brewery story links

#60 theisenm85

theisenm85
  • participating member
  • 90 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 02:14 AM

Was a couple of days ago, but I didn't see a post on it yet....

Found the Sam Adams Longshot at a Bevmo. Didn't realize it was out yet, but I hadn't really been paying attention anyway.

Two Beers:
Weizenbock
Med strong carbed, very pleasant. Everything seemed to style. Had a nice chocolaty darkness, the fruity esters were present, but not overbearing.

Grape Pale
Had no idea what to think going into this one- For me, and my taste memory might be a bit off, it was pretty much a malty english style pale or esb even with a bit of grapey fruit flavor on the end. Seemed a little thick. Almost cloying. It was fine, however, I can pretty much guarantee I wouldn't buy it.