Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

What Beers Did You Drink Today? Or Yesterday? (Part 2)

• Please log in to reply
556 replies to this topic

#541 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:19 AM

I had tried Simcoe’s for Sartori (Simcoe single-hop) from the same series a while back. If my memory is correct, it was more aggressively piney.

Scratch that, I found my notes. I am sure I have a photo somewhere too, but I can't find it right now.

It was bitter, dry, a bit austere. Some citrus, with a burnt coffee flavor/molasses.

Edited by FrogPrincesse, 30 September 2014 - 07:19 AM.

#542 Vuko Laosic

Vuko Laosic
  • participating member
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:06 AM

Paulaner Light Lager Beer 0.5l 

How to make cocktails at home http://www.cocktail4.me

#543 cdh

cdh
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 12:14 PM

Had a Vichtenaar with lunch.  And a Rochefort 10 last evening.  

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

----- De Gustibus Non Disputandum Est

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

#544 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,114 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 04:20 AM

Batch #2 of my home brew. It has been stored for ... um ... three or four months now. Thereabouts. It was all canned stuff. A wheat beer. On the advice of a friend I did a secondary fermentation. The advice was good: dig the lack of sediment. On the advice of a friend I batch-primed rather than used those little carbonation drops. The advice was good: dig the even carbonation, bottle to bottle. 

The beer lacks a little body but, you know what? Aside from that wee flaw it's pretty fucking good. I couldn't finish the (large) first batch which had been in storage since the start of this year. I opened it recently and found that it had aged past the point of redemption. This, compared to how it was a month or so after being bottled, has developed nicely. If I can figure out how to achieve greater body I may well stick to the same cans for another batch.

• haresfur likes this

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#545 Alex

Alex
  • participating member
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 12:16 PM

Bell's Best Brown Ale. Gooood stuff.

Gene Weingarten, writing in The Washington Post about online news stories and their readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"A vasectomy might cost as much as a year’s worth of ice cream, but that doesn’t mean it’s equally enjoyable." -Ezra Dyer, NY Times

#546 gfron1

gfron1
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 4,372 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 12:19 PM

I had the North Coast Brewing Class of 88 Barleywine.  I hadn't had a barleywine in probably 15-20 years...enjoyed it...or maybe it was the 11% that I enjoyed ;)

Chef, Curious Kumquat, Silver City, NM

#547 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 10:31 PM

I had Stone's 18th anniversary IPA tonight.  Very good, I thought.  Though I enjoy most of Stone's brews.  I have to say, however, I was expecting more hops.

#548 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 02:34 PM

I had Stone's 18th anniversary IPA tonight.  Very good, I thought.  Though I enjoy most of Stone's brews.  I have to say, however, I was expecting more hops.

Draft Magazine has an interesting article on Stone's 18th Anniversary IPA (Will Stone’s new IPA kill IPAs as we know them?). Definitely a departure from their usual hop-bombs.

#549 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 09:17 PM

TJ's Unibroue-brewed Strong Golden Ale. Sort of in the DT rather than Duvel vein. Actually, probably not so different than La Fin du Monde (Haven't had it in a while). VERY solid for $6/750mL

#550 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 09:21 PM

Was that the Providential? If so, I like it too.

#551 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 10:07 PM

Draft Magazine has an interesting article on Stone's 18th Anniversary IPA (Will Stone’s new IPA kill IPAs as we know them?). Definitely a departure from their usual hop-bombs.

I didn't mean to be disparaging.  I really like it.  I couldn't finish the bottle in one sitting but that was not the fault of Stone.  If my purveyor would stock normal size bottles I would drink a lot more Stone.

#552 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 10:58 PM

Was that the Providential? If so, I like it too.

Yup!

#553 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 09:13 AM

A couple of local BABF winners last night.

Societe's The Pupil (Bronze - International Style Pale Ale)

Full flavor, quite bitter with a lot of stone fruit and citrus. Good balance.

15292754277_1309003a4d_z.jpg

Ballast Point's Grunion (Gold - American-Style Pale Ale)

Mosaic and Calypso hops.

Tropical fruit aroma. Good amount of malt, nice bitterness, dry finish.

15478969212_234c9d9389_z.jpg

#554 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 09:17 AM

As a side note, I started using Untappd to collect my beer notes and photos in one spot. It's very handy.

#555 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,114 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 02:39 AM

New, new, new. White Rabbit's Belgian-style Pale Ale. Malty. Light carbonation. Slightly watery but with a bold-enough flavour to make up for it. Not likely, sorry to say, to knock their standard White/Dark Ales off the top of the White Rabbit pile any time soon. That pile, granted, is made up ONLY of the standard White/Dark. That slightly metallic quality I associate with Belgian beers. Good enough, but glad I didn't buy a case of the stuff.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#556 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 04:31 PM

Before I start to tackle the backlog, here is a 2013 bottle of AleSmith Speedway (Imperial) Stout, an old favorite (yes, it's really that dark). It's super balanced, rich, creamy, a bit smoky. There are coffee notes but they are subtle enough that this beer is great with food, for example last night's beef stew. Really outstanding.

15480938581_97a70d5bce_z.jpg

#557 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 08:57 PM

Cool. Thanks for the correction!

Today the same dear son delivered the carton of Saison du BUFF.  It is taking up room in the refrigerator, and I may have to do something about that.