Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

What Beers Did You Drink Today? Or Yesterday? (Part 2)

• Please log in to reply
511 replies to this topic

#331 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:11 PM

Stone Cali-Belgique IPA was perfect with a yellowtail & lemon dish. Crisp and slightly acidic, with a lot of flavor/spice/funk. Hoppy but reasonably so considering it's made by Stone. Slightly bitter finish. It has a very attractive light orange color.

8974573125_c5f7444958_z.jpg

Edited by FrogPrincesse, 10 June 2013 - 03:12 PM.

#332 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:45 PM

Stone Vertical Epic 12.12.12. Delicious Belgian-style strong dark ale. Not too sweet; rich flavor with spice and some bitterness. I am going to stock up on this one!

Tried the Stone Vertical Epic 12.12.12 again with pizza last night. More than 6 months later it tasted quite sweet  with chocolate and spice notes, followed by a bitter finish. It would have been excellent with dessert but was not so great with pizza. As a side note this had not been properly cellared; it's been at room temperature since December.

9023086358_d7b3ff860c_z.jpg

For those who enjoy reading the notes (although they are a little hard to read...).

9020860215_e706770c30_z.jpg

9020862125_29e1095797_z.jpg

Edited by FrogPrincesse, 12 June 2013 - 04:47 PM.

#333 haresfur

haresfur
  • participating member
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:59 AM

for those who enjoy reading the notes (although they are a little hard to read...).

I'd have to give this at least an 8.5 for 'wank'.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

#334 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:09 PM

I had to look that one up. Thanks, I guess, for enriching my British vocabulary...

Last night was La Fin Du Monde (Unibroue), a Belgian-style tripel ale brewed in Quebec. Yeasty with a lot of coriander. Very nice with roasted chicken and vegetables.

9030809644_eb78c4f948_z.jpg

#335 Ashen

Ashen
  • participating member
  • 474 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:19 AM

I really liked fin du monde  .. the first time I tried it was in Montreal while my wife and I were on our honeymoon.   There was a little grocery store down the street from our B&B and I would wonder in and buy one or two singles of beers I hadn't had before.  

Nickelbrook Berliner Weisse .   I had a sample at the brewery and liked it but after drinking a full 750 ml bottle I think I have changed my mind.  It is a bit thin and  although I generally like the sour edge in this style beer , I found this one unpleasant by the end. 

GEDC3980_zps83dbafce.jpg

"Why is the rum always gone?"
Captain Jack Sparrow

#336 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:31 PM

Talking about sour beers, here is The Bruery's take on a Gueuze that they named Rueuze. It's a sour blonde ale aged in oak barrels. It smelled really good, acidic with apple cider notes. Not much fizz. Loved the first few sips. After a while though, I found it a little bit too sour (bile-like notes).

Overall it was very promising and I enjoyed tasting a gueuze that was not overly sweet.

9060042365_e7eafbd4b7_z.jpg

#337 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:05 PM

This really nice Sculpin IPA from Ballast Point. It is crisp and refreshing with a slightly bitter finish, perfect with a fish taco on a hot summer day.

9178405358_8eddb9b3d6_z.jpg

Bear Republic Cher Ami Belgian Pale Ale (front), Anchor Fort Ross Saison at Fathom Bistro, Bait & Tackle, a tiny little restaurant that serves homemade sausages and craft beers in a Life Aquatic setting right on the water in Point Loma. I really liked the Fort Ross Saison.

9112637955_85d80aab43_z.jpg

9112639913_7ffd68257b_z.jpg

#338 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 894 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:54 PM

This really nice Sculpin IPA from Ballast Point. It is crisp and refreshing with a slightly bitter finish, perfect with a fish taco on a hot summer day.

9178405358_8eddb9b3d6_z.jpg

On that subject, here is a picture of my favourite Sculpin, the Blob Sculpin :smile:

Edited by Plantes Vertes, 01 July 2013 - 12:54 PM.

#339 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:00 PM

On that subject, here is a picture of my favourite Sculpin, the Blob Sculpin :smile:

Yikes!   Thank god the sculpin on the label is much more attractive than Mr Blob here! :smile:

Here is an explanation about the name from their website:

Ironically, the meat from a Sculpin is considered some of the tastiest. Something that has a sting but tastes great, sounds like a Ballast Point India Pale Ale.

#340 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,029 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:03 AM

I am currently sampling a Harviestoun Ola Dubh. There's a whole lot of marketing bullshittle to go with this but, in short, it is an 'ale matured in whisky casks'. Highland Park to be specific. It's quite pleasant. A real dark chocolate quality to it. I normally don't enjoy beers like this but after three Junipero-based G&Ts pretty much anything is rad.

Edited by ChrisTaylor, 10 July 2013 - 05:05 AM.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#341 Ashen

Ashen
  • participating member
  • 474 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:42 PM

not exactly high class but strangely satisfying, I am in the process of drinking an   ice cold molson golden  after yardwork. 

Captain Jack Sparrow

#342 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,029 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:40 AM

After an excursion in which several of my students almost fell down a wombat hole and/or squashed a pile of wombat shit in excitement: Cooper's Sparkling Ale while in the shower. Shower beers are probably even better in the northern hemisphere summer.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#343 Ashen

Ashen
  • participating member
  • 474 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:03 PM

I am very sad that the liquor store no longer sells Cooper's here.  It makes the best beer batter for fish along with just being a great beer. 

Very hot and humid weather here the past week.  Have been drinking a few different beers .  Warsteiner pils and Big Wheel amber along with more Molson Golden. 

Captain Jack Sparrow

#344 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:36 AM

Societe's Apprentice. Citrus and hops; great IPA with a good level of bitterness.Tried side by side with Ballast Point's Sculpin which is a little more robust and bitter. They are both excellent IPAs.

#345 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:52 PM

These IPAs are fantastic with lighter summer foods - fish tacos and salads.

This weekend I had the West Coast IPA from Green Flash. It was citrusy and hoppy with some maltiness as well. Delicious.

9377916825_c4efbc5231_z.jpg

#346 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,029 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:53 AM

Coopers 2013 vintage ale. I like it better than the 2012.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#347 Adam George

Adam George
  • participating member
  • 453 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:24 AM

Ooh look, a beer forum!

Hello to the cocktail-heads I know.  And hello to everyone else.

I also enjoy beer and whilst doing a food shop (rare for me as usually I eat at work, but I'm between positions at the moment) I bought some reduced bottles.  All of these were found in the "World Beers" section of the supermarket, despite being British.  I realised that this was because they are not big Brewery owned products like Shepard Neame and Fuller's.  I hope they don't get dropped through lack of sales because of this shelving... Anyway, I digress.

Firstly, 

Sole Star:

Adnams is a pretty big "indie" producer in the UK and more recently they have opened shops and started producing spirits.

Sole Star is a very light Amber or golden or whatever ale at 2.7%.  Having been incredibly impressed with The Kernel's Table Beer that comes in at sub 3% I thought I'd give this a try for the modest sum of £1 for 500ml.  No big disappointment, but this is a very different beer.  Whilst the Kernel's beers are typically massive, full flavoured hop or malt bombs, this is much lighter.  Described as floral and citrus, I'd agree on the nose.  More malt on the palate than I expected but unfortunately the beer suffers a massive loss of mouth feel and body.  The finish is pretty short and flat.  However, it's a 2.7% pint!  You could enjoy one of these in the lunch hour and feel confident going back to work.  It's by no means a flavourless beer and would make an ideal entry level ale to those who have previously only drunk Euro Lager.

Did I mention it was £1 ?

Boilermaker:

My favourite way to enjoy an IPA and a whisky in one bottle?  Great!  

Like this Innis & Gunn beers, Boilermaker is an IPA aged in used Penderyn Whisky casks by Brains Brewery in... Wales.

Much more full bodied, as you'd expect with a doubled ABV of 6.5%.  

Deep copper/burgundy coloured.  Malty smooth, with good vanilla but balanced with a sensible level of citrus.  

No real "warm whisky finish" as advertised, but the casks influence is certainly there.  

Again, not a bad beer at £1.50 a bottle.

I have two Innis & Gunn releases to compare this to in the following days as well as a self-described American IPA by the same brewery.  I'd return to Boilermaker much quicker than Marks & Spencer/Meantime's Greenwich Hospital Porter (Laphroaig Aged) that I found too medicinal (funny, that!) though this is far from being my favourite IPA.  

IMG_4036- copy.jpg

Edited by Adam George, 09 August 2013 - 08:25 AM.

The Dead Parrot
Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Cocktails, Craft Beers, English Wines in provincial Sussex 

#348 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:34 AM

Hi Adam! Good to see you here.

Here is a recent one. Saison Diego (Green Flash). Easy to drink, spice, orange, crisp and refreshing.

Forgot to take a picture in the glass but there was moderate foam and it's golden in color.

9474335730_ce05510aa3_z.jpg

#349 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:10 PM

Karl Strauss Red Trolley Ale (left), Green Flash West Coast IPA

9492748118_317ed9ec57_z.jpg

The Red Trolley has a mahogany color. It tastes malty with a slight bitterness. It is quite simple but it works.

#350 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:41 PM

Schot in Het Donker (Shot in the Dark), a saison-style beer brewed with cherries.  El Segundo and Tender Greens collaboration.

It's dry and very aromatic.

#351 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:25 PM

Stone Pale Ale. Robust but quite subdued on the hop front for a beer from Stone. I get mostly citrus and malt. Interesting to think that this was their very first beer, in 1996. A lot has changed since then in the beer world.

9471551991_eb2c368c0d_z.jpg

9471552825_e54ea6bc5f_z.jpg

Really nice with a couple of carnitas tacos.

9471553703_41247a4459.jpg

#352 Ashen

Ashen
  • participating member
  • 474 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:50 AM

Paulaner Hefe-Weizen   Good summer brew. 

paulaner_zps8115a7ae.jpg

Captain Jack Sparrow

#353 Ashen

Ashen
  • participating member
  • 474 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:14 AM

Nickel Brook Saison.. I picked up a growler from the brewery in burlington on the weekend.   Very nice brew, warm fermented , naturally carbonated,  decent level of hops  that have a pronounced citrus note.  Good belgian style summer beer

nicklebrooksaison_zpsa0e879c9.jpg

Captain Jack Sparrow

#354 fvandrog

fvandrog
  • participating member
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:09 AM

Stone Pale Ale.

I really enjoyed the different Stone Ales back when I was living in San Diego, I have always been wondering what hops they used to get the well balanced bitterness in their different beers.

#355 SylviaLovegren

SylviaLovegren
  • participating member
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:21 AM

We were in Indiana recently and had the Bier Brewery's Witbier. It was a very hot, muggy day, and the beer was ice cold and the spice and orange without hops made it so refreshing and delicious. It was wonderful.

#356 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:20 AM

Ballast Point San Salvador summer saison, named after Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo’s flagship. The beer was created "using ingredients that would have been present when Cabrillo landed at San Diego Bay in 1542.". So these include elderberries, manzanita berries and white sage among other things.

9647347295_1af4b0576a_z.jpg

It was light with roasted flavors and herbs. I wish I could had have another one!

Initially I had ordered The Bruery's Tart of Darkness but the keg had a malfunction and I sat there eating my food and seeing person after person ordering it and being turned down. I also realized later that they had Pliny the Elder as well (buried deep at the end of their list of beer offerings) - is it really as good as what everyone says? It seems to have quite a following!

#357 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:26 PM

I forgot to post this photo in the previous post - it was the sign at the entrance of the little bait & tackle shop turned bistro where I had the beer.

9663927149_e4677a71cf_z.jpg

#358 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:16 AM

White Chocolate (The Bruery) (no photo but it's deep amber)

This one is kind of an odd duck, very different. It's a barrel-aged wheat wine. It smells of caramel and vanilla. It tastes creamy, boozy, sweet white chocolate. Very complex. It would be great with chocolate cake...

Trois Pistoles (Unibroue)

This Belgian strong ale is super drinkable despite the 9% ABV (you can't really taste the alcohol). A lot of malt and spices without being sweet.

9705718169_87ee23daa6_z.jpg

R&R coconut IPA (Robert & Ryan / Rip Current / Stone)

This collaboration beer was created by two homebrewers, Robert Masterson and Ryan Reschan, who won a homebrewing contest.

A vibrant IPA with a lot of stone fruit and a subtle coconut finish. Quite bitter. I had it with grilled sausages.

9708935288_ae8e112a11_z.jpg

9708937200_7be835508a_z.jpg

The Schot in Het Donker (shot in the dark) Saison again, this time with a picture and yellowtail tacos. Perfect on a super hot day.

9694302519_ca18b40e93_z.jpg

#359 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,029 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:38 AM

A couple of good ones from New Zealand brewer, Tuatara: their Aotearoa Pale Ale and India Pale Ale. Both are excellent. Worth us annexing New Zealand for. If you're Stateside or wherever and someone local stops NZ beers--I suspect it's hard enough to get Australian ones, so I doubt you'll be in luck--then you want both of these.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#360 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,029 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:08 AM

Sierra Nevada's rye beer. First Sierra Nevada I thought was truly excellent.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne