Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Help for a Couple of Cocktail Novices (Part 2)

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#31 Beth Wilson

Beth Wilson
  • participating member
  • 300 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:23 PM

Well, that is an interesting description of flavours....hate to hear good alcohol was binned but thinking of that combo of flavours I certainly can't blame him for binning it!

Like the new glasses!

#32 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,858 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

IMG_0497.jpg

Tonight the boys were drinking The McCallan - so I was on my own for a Royal Bermudian Yacht Club Cocktail from PDT.  Of course it was actually a Royal Barbados Yacht Club Cocktail as I had Cockspur VSOR as my rum of choice.  

Time for a trip back to Barbados as I'm on my last bottle.  

#33 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 992 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:47 PM

Man I like those trumpet-shaped glasses. Functional, classic, and contemporary all at once.
Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

#34 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,858 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:26 PM

IMG_0505.jpg

Tonight made a Negroni with Ransome Old Tom and charged it with CO2 in the thermowhip as per Chefsteps.  You can't tell it's carbonated - but it was delightfully bubbly.

Didn't have enough Punt e Mes left for the number of drinks I made so I stuck with the plain old vermouth.

#35 Adam George

Adam George
  • participating member
  • 496 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:08 PM

I see that Ransom isn't lasting long!

I'd love to try it, but I don't think we get it over here.

The Dead Parrot
Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Cocktails, Craft Beers, English Wines in provincial Sussex 

#36 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,858 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:47 PM

I see that Ransom isn't lasting long!

I'd love to try it, but I don't think we get it over here.

Half of it went over to Anna N's.  Only fair to share when I get the good stuff.

#37 Adam George

Adam George
  • participating member
  • 496 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:50 PM

Have you tried the St George gins? One of the people at Viajante brought a bottle of Dry Rye back and let me taste it.

The Dead Parrot

#38 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,858 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:38 PM

DSCN1014.jpg

Jeffery Morganthaler's Caneflower again.  

#39 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,858 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:41 PM

IMG_0527.jpg

Rainbow Sour - from The Art of the Cocktail by DeGroeff.  Well received!  Need to find a steady supply of Apry - that stuff is fabulous.

#40 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,858 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:30 PM

IMG_0537.jpg

Noble Order - from Cocktail Slut.

#41 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,858 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:54 PM

IMG_0555.jpg

[the Blue Hour] from cocktail virgin slut here.

Didn't have any plum eau de vie - but did have my japanese plum liqueur.  Used aphrodite bitters in place of Peychaud's. 

Tasted a little like pink lemonade.

Edited by Kerry Beal, 07 April 2013 - 03:56 PM.

#42 Adam George

Adam George
  • participating member
  • 496 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:00 PM

Spanish?

The Dead Parrot

#43 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,858 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:17 PM

Spanish?

Yup - spanish!  Duh!

#44 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:08 PM

Kerry was kind enough, after the Chocolate and Confectionery Workshop, to gift me with the leftover liquor from our Saturday night cocktails, on the condition that I comment on some of what I ended up making with it. No time like the present to get started!

One of the bottles was Rittenhouse BIB, so tonight I made a Volstead.

Volstead.jpg

Rye, orange juice, Swedish Punch, grenadine and a dash of absinthe. The flavours are all there, but it was too sweet for me. Maybe with some added lemon juice, though I guess that makes it a cross between a Volstead and a Ward Eight.

Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#45 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 992 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:53 PM

Orange. This fruit of cocktail death.

Were oranges from the early 20th C much more tart, perhaps?

#46 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,736 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:44 AM

Were oranges from the early 20th C much more tart, perhaps?

I don't know... but the tangelos I can get where I live are more flavorful and more tart than the oranges I can get where I live so I frequently use those instead.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#47 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,018 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:25 AM

Could not agree more. Oranges are very tricky in cocktails and so is grenadine... Use with extreme caution!

#48 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 894 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:35 AM

Hamlin is a tart variety of orange that is also suitable for juicing, and Maltese blood oranges are also. Tangerine juice is tarter than orange juice as well, but more of a pain to get out of the fruit.

#49 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,858 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:20 PM

IMG_0584.jpg

Caipirinha this evening.  The weather seemed right, beef for dinner - what could be better!

#50 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,858 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:24 PM

IMG_0592.jpg

Pisco sours - managed to get some Amargo Chuncho Bitters at Kegwork's the other day.  Gotta say - it adds a very different accent than Angostura.      

#51 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,736 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:52 PM

Looks tasty. I had a couple drinks lined up to try this weekend but I finally caught the stomach bug the others in the house had earlier in the week (that I thought I'd avoided) and I'm not wanting much of anything now. Yesterday was particularly pleasant. :hmmm:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#52 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:26 AM

Got home from a trip yesterday with a new bottle of Bittermens Amère Nouvelle, so I decided to combine it with some of the Rittenhouse and sweet vermouth I got from Kerry in a Liberal last night.

Liberal Cocktail-1.jpg

Pretty darn tasty: bright with citrus, but earthy with gentian. I didn't think it was all that bitter, so it seemed a little on the sweet side; more of an evening sipper than an aperitif. I'm looking forward to trying the Amère Nouvelle in a Brooklyn, where the French vermouth should dry things out a bit.

Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#53 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,018 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:31 PM

It looks pretty. With Picon it is much darker with a red tinge. Amer Picon on its own is dark brown because of the caramel.

#54 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:41 AM

The weather was so nice yesterday, I decided to break out my new bottle of Clement Creole Shrubb and make some Mai Tais. For the rums, I used a combination of Appleton 12 and St. James Royal Ambré.

Mai Tai.jpg

Edit: The mint in the backyard wasn't quite ready for prime time yet, or I would have garnished it properly!

Edited by mkayahara, 20 May 2013 - 05:42 AM.

Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#55 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:41 AM

In an effort to maintain my cocktailian bona fides, and inspired by the Anvil 100 Cocktails list, I made a Trinidad Sour last night, using Angostura bitters and Rittenhouse rye both provided by Kerry. I was shocked the other day to see that the price of Angostura has risen to $9.99 in local grocery stores: not too long ago it was only $6.99!

Trinidad Sour-1.jpg

A bittersweet cocktail to celebrate my last day as a free man before officially entering the ranks of the industry as a line cook today. I loved the mahogany colour (which apparently is only that deep because I was using a commercial orgeat bottling). Surprisingly, I didn't find it especially "bitter," though it was intensely astringent. I found it interesting and enjoyable without falling in love with it.

Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#56 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 992 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:03 AM

... a Trinidad Sour last night... commercial orgeat ... e without falling in love with it.

These things may be related. The Orgeat plays a surprisingly important role. And I agree -- this drink demonstrates how Angostura is more spice than bitter (bark than bite?). I love this drink.

#57 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:04 AM

... a Trinidad Sour last night... commercial orgeat ... e without falling in love with it.

These things may be related. The Orgeat plays a surprisingly important role. And I agree -- this drink demonstrates how Angostura is more spice than bitter (bark than bite?). I love this drink.

Sure, but I've never liked homemade orgeat. My efforts have been all texture and no flavour, unless I dump in a bunch of almond extract, which seems to defeat the purpose. I don't have a supplier for bitter almonds.

Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#58 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 672 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:15 AM

Sure, but I've never liked homemade orgeat. My efforts have been all texture and no flavour, unless I dump in a bunch of almond extract, which seems to defeat the purpose. I don't have a supplier for bitter almonds.

My understanding is that many commercially available almond milks contain bitter almonds, and you can augment (or even replace) sweet almonds with almond milk in many recipes. There are many recipes that produce very flavorful orgeat with minimal work; I like Kaiser Penguin's

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#59 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 992 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:04 PM

I'm no orgeat expert. I was thinking of something like the BG Reynold product, which (appearance aside), I very much like. I know that some find it too toasty. Does the MB product taste more like almond extract (e.g. Fee) or more like almond nuts (e.g. BG Reynold)? (I personally would call the former almond syrup, rather than orgeat.)

Edited by EvergreenDan, 30 May 2013 - 12:04 PM.

#60 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,858 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:36 PM

I don't have a supplier for bitter almonds.

I do.