Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Help for a Couple of Cocktail Novices (Part 2)

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#1 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,949 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:02 PM

Moderator note: The original Help for a Couple of Cocktail Novices topic became too large for our servers to handle efficiently, so we've divided it up; the preceding part of this discussion is here: Help for a Couple of Cocktail Novices (Part 1)]

IMG_0431.jpg

Frézier from Kindred Cocktail. Now I need another bottle of Pisco.

Edited by Mjx, 08 April 2013 - 01:42 AM.

#2 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,949 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:46 PM

IMG_0438.jpg

Averna Jimjam - think I like the Ramazzotti Jimjam just a tiny bit better - the menthol kind of bugs me. Still a perfectly nice cocktail.

#3 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,090 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:56 PM

Averna Jimjam - think I like the Ramazzotti Jimjam just a tiny bit better - the menthol kind of bugs me. Still a perfectly nice cocktail.

Menthol from the Averna? I am asking because it's not something I have noticed before (but I have never used Averna as the primary ingredient).

#4 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,949 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:16 PM

That's what I've noticed both times I've tried it.

#5 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,090 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:44 PM

That's what I've noticed both times I've tried it.

I will have to try Averna neat to see if I can detect this too. I am curious now. Or maybe it's the combination with the apricot liqueur that is creating this sensation?

#6 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,949 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:14 PM

IMG_0440.jpg

Zanadu from Kindred Cocktail.

#7 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,090 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:54 PM

Menthol from the Averna? I am asking because it's not something I have noticed before (but I have never used Averna as the primary ingredient).

Trying it neat and Kerry is absolutely right, there is some menthol there (together with caramel and licorice).

#8 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,949 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:21 PM

IMG_0458.jpg

Brooklynite. From the Bartender's Choice app on my phone.

#9 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,949 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:29 PM

IMG_0468.jpg

Sadly out of focus. There is new distillery on the Niagara Peninsula and I am making some pates de fruit using their product for the upcoming WInter Winefest. Tonight I figured I needed to try out an idea and see how it flew. 2 ounces of Dillon's unfiltered small batch gin, 1 ounce of rock sugar simple, 3/4 ounce lime, 2 big dashes of Dillon's Lime Bitters. Quite yummy. But I think I'll have to scale back the gin in the PDF - I only have a 375 ml bottle to play with!

#10 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,949 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

IMG_0475.jpg

Nomayo this evening. No champagne in the house - used a sparkling Niagara wine that I have for making chocolates as the float.

#11 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,949 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:14 PM

IMG_0482.jpg

Southside with kalamansi snd mojito mint

#12 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,949 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

DSCN0900.jpg

Lindberg's Baby (thanks Chris). A tasty tipple.

#13 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,090 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

Lindberg's Baby (thanks Chris). A tasty tipple.

So... what is it like with the right ingredients? :smile:

Edited to add: Never mind... you already answered in the Cocchi Americano thread.
Thanks for satisfying my curiosity.

Edited by FrogPrincesse, 23 January 2013 - 06:06 PM.

#14 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 19,628 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

You are most welcome -- thanks for describing it!
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory
Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

#15 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,949 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

IMG_0487.jpg

Pegu club with Citadelle gin and my new bottle of Pierre Ferrand Dry Curacao. This is the second Pegu club I've had - the first at the Velvet Tango room. Didn't like it either time - must be something wrong with my taste buds - cause everyone else on eG seems to love it. Ah well - vive la différence.

#16 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

I'm not a fan either. Then again, I'm usually not big on gin-based drinks that mostly taste like gin.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#17 Adam George

Adam George
  • participating member
  • 519 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

I think I'd prefer a Pegu with lemon...

The Dead Parrot
Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Cocktails, Craft Beers, English Wines in provincial Sussex 

#18 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,090 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:16 AM

A Pegu Club made at the Pegu Club is a thing of beauty. But it's a drink that can be hard to get just right.

(on the right)
Posted Image

#19 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,949 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:00 PM

A Pegu Club made at the Pegu Club is a thing of beauty. But it's a drink that can be hard to get just right.

(on the right)
Posted Image

I guess to decide if I truly don't like it - I'll have to try it there for sure.

#20 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,090 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

There are many versions of this cocktail and an excellent thread on eG. The ingredients used and exact ratios will change the character of the drink. Maybe you will find one that you like...
http://forums.egulle...-club-cocktail/

#21 Adam George

Adam George
  • participating member
  • 519 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

Not impressed with a lime wedge garnish like that. A Pegu shouldn't need any more acid and it doesn't exactly look beautiful.

The Dead Parrot

#22 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,772 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:54 PM

Not impressed with a lime wedge garnish like that. A Pegu shouldn't need any more acid and it doesn't exactly look beautiful.

Considering the source of the "a thing of beauty" description, I'm going to assume the lime wedge hurts it not at all.
It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#23 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,090 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

Considering the source of the "a thing of beauty" description, I'm going to assume the lime wedge hurts it not at all.

The photo does not do it justice, but this was a nicely scored lime wedge, not just a random garnish.

#24 Czequershuus

Czequershuus
  • participating member
  • 182 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:13 PM

I think the Pegu Club is a really difficult cocktail to balance. More than other cocktail, I think the specific sourness level of the limes used can result in a very different cocktail. With the exact same ratios I've had cocktail that I liked, and ones that just did not work.

#25 Adam George

Adam George
  • participating member
  • 519 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

The photo does not do it justice, but this was a nicely scored lime wedge, not just a random garnish.

I just think wedge garnishes are brash and with a cocktail that the balance is clearly so critical....

The Dead Parrot

#26 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,772 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

I just think wedge garnishes are brash and with a cocktail that the balance is clearly so critical....

I get what you're saying, I'd just like to think (or at least hope) that at a certain level, the people responsible for the dinks and how they're served in a cocktail bar wouldn't do something if it takes away from the drink. Since there are no cocktail bars, good or bad, within about 5 hours of where I live, I don't know that to actually be the case... but I like thinking it's true.
It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#27 Adam George

Adam George
  • participating member
  • 519 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

I hope so too, and you're right. It probably takes nothing away. I just can't say I agree with the method.

I don't think a lime wedge brings enough to a drink if it isn't in the drink itself.
I've given up on the traditional Daiquiri garnish of a lime wedge because it's not doing anything. Not until it has been squeezed in, in which case it has just spoilt the balance. It hasn't brought any aromatic to the drink, either.
Now, as we all agree, the Pegu is a pretty hard drink to "find" - not to say the club by the same name haven't done so. My personal approach to a garnish is it needs to accent some some element of the drink, bring a new and contrasting element - or you let the drink do the talking. For my Martini, I like the former, my Daiquiri, the latter.
I don't wish to sound overly negative, or like I'm slagging anyone off - just offering an opinion.

Cheers.

The Dead Parrot

#28 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

Last night I made (another) Pegu w/ 2 oz Junipero (first time I've made it with that particular gin), the juice of a lime, a generous .5oz of Grand Marnier and a dash each of Fee's whiskey aged bitters, Fee's orange bitters and Regan's orange bitters. It was pretty good.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#29 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,949 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:48 PM

DSCN0927.jpg

Part and Parcel tonight - used up the ends of 3 bottles of gin!

Finally found a couple of the glasses that I've been searching for. Anna broke hers - I found her a new one in a thrift store in Guelph last week - the next day found 3 for myself.

#30 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,949 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:10 PM

DSCN0990.jpg

Bubbaloo from PDT.  Didn't have the correct bitters - used angostura.  Kind of tasted like nutmeg and bubblegum.  Hubby binned his.