Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Trader Joe's Products (2012– )

• Please log in to reply
370 replies to this topic

#31 TheTInCook

TheTInCook
  • participating member
  • 268 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:41 PM

I like the cookie butter too.

#32 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:33 PM

So I'm a huge fan of their "Entertainer" crackers, but I haven't seen them in the last few weeks. Anyone know if they're done?

#33 Emily_R

Emily_R
  • participating member
  • 877 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:10 PM

Ooooh boy, I've got a flop to report. I love the TJ pound-plus chocolate bars, so I was excited when I saw their natural cocoa powder for a really great price. I used it tonight for the first time... I typically use Ghiradelli cocoa powder, and when I opened the TJ's I immediately noticed how much lighter it was in color than the Ghiradelli... But I forged ahead with my usual chocolate bundt cake recipe and made... Something that to me is unservable. You would barely know it was chocolate cake if not for the dark color. Argh.

#34 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,130 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:33 PM

Ooooh boy, I've got a flop to report. I love the TJ pound-plus chocolate bars, so I was excited when I saw their natural cocoa powder for a really great price. I used it tonight for the first time... I typically use Ghiradelli cocoa powder, and when I opened the TJ's I immediately noticed how much lighter it was in color than the Ghiradelli... But I forged ahead with my usual chocolate bundt cake recipe and made... Something that to me is unservable. You would barely know it was chocolate cake if not for the dark color. Argh.

I'm pretty sure their "natural" cocoa is not "Dutched" - The Dutching process changes the character of the cocoa, enhancing the flavor, in my opinion. I don't use anything except Dutch process cocoa for regular baking and cooking.

I do keep some on hand for "flouring" pans in which I will bake chocolate cakes and for coating truffles as I want less flavor in those applications.
"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett
My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

#35 Emily_R

Emily_R
  • participating member
  • 877 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:45 AM

Hey Andie -- I realize it is not Dutched, but I'm pretty sure the Ghiradelli is not Dutched either, and I've had good luck with it...

#36 natasha1270

natasha1270
  • participating member
  • 387 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:00 AM

I'm not a big TJ fan but have recently become addicted to the chicken tamallitos.
"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

#37 baca008

baca008
  • participating member
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:52 PM

I like the cookie butter too.

They have the cookie butter in chocolate bar. I really liked it.

#38 Jane Randahl

Jane Randahl
  • participating member
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 04:30 PM

I'm currently in the process of trying to improve what I eat, and I simply cannot justify shopping at Whole Foods.

Trader Joe's is good for buying a-little-better-versions-of-the-crap-you-used-to-eat food. I'm a little more health conscious but Whole Foods makes me feel like they are punishing or taking advantage of me for trying to be healthy.

No thanks.

Edited by Jane Randahl, 20 May 2012 - 04:30 PM.

#39 Emily_R

Emily_R
  • participating member
  • 877 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:37 PM

For what its worth, I just discovered that while TJ's cocoa is terrible for baking, it makes wonderful hot cocoa!

#40 jk1002

jk1002
  • participating member
  • 203 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:42 PM

On another note.

Salmon Burger Wholefoods 7.99
Salmon Burger TJ 5.99

Both are wild caught in the US (Alaskan) however TJ shipps theirs to Thailand for processing and then back to US for eating.

Not that it matters for quality since we are talking about frozen products going in and coming out but .....

That made me think ....

#41 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:03 PM

On another note.

Salmon Burger Wholefoods 7.99
Salmon Burger TJ 5.99

Both are wild caught in the US (Alaskan) however TJ shipps theirs to Thailand for processing and then back to US for eating.

Not that it matters for quality since we are talking about frozen products going in and coming out but .....

That made me think ....

Think about what? And have you reached any conclusion?

Where does WF process their patties?

.... Shel

#42 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:52 PM

I've rarely used canned chilies, so I'm not a canned chili maven, however, of all that I have tried, TJ's is the most satisfactory. Quality seems to be good, the chilies are from Hatch Valley, which is supposed to be a well-known and respected area for growing chilies, and the price is excellent. If you use canned chilies, try 'em. At the very least, they're a very good value.

.... Shel

#43 Charcuterer

Charcuterer
  • participating member
  • 157 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:30 AM

I've rarely used canned chilies, so I'm not a canned chili maven, however, of all that I have tried, TJ's is the most satisfactory. Quality seems to be good, the chilies are from Hatch Valley, which is supposed to be a well-known and respected area for growing chilies, and the price is excellent. If you use canned chilies, try 'em. At the very least, they're a very good value.

How is the heat level of those peppers. I used to have access to canned chilis that were medium or hot but now all of my groceries only have mild.

#44 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:18 AM

I've rarely used canned chilies, so I'm not a canned chili maven, however, of all that I have tried, TJ's is the most satisfactory.

How is the heat level of those peppers. I used to have access to canned chilis that were medium or hot but now all of my groceries only have mild.

I consider them to be mild, however, Toots feels that they are closer to medium. In any case, I use them more for flavor than for heat.

.... Shel

#45 Toliver

Toliver
  • participating member
  • 4,562 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:19 PM

Anyone else experiencing a chocolate chip shortage at their TJ's?

"At the Neighborhood Trader Joe's, a Run on Chocolate Chips"

Looking in her cupboard last week, Shulamis Labkowski got a morsel of unwelcome news.
The mother of three from Oakland, Calif., inspected three bags of Trader Joe's semisweet chocolate chips, a staple in her kosher kitchen. They were alike in all ways but one: Two of them had a small D on the label, meaning they were classified as dairy under Jewish dietary laws.
Mrs. Labkowski bought 40 packets when she heard about the switch.
The changed label was tough to swallow. Kosher law forbids mixing meat and dairy at any time, but Trader Joe's chips used to be deemed "pareve," meaning they could be eaten with either meat or dairy meals. An avid baker, Mrs. Labkowski tore through five to seven bags a week to make treats without worrying about running afoul of the rules.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”
– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

#46 Lindacakes

Lindacakes
  • participating member
  • 882 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:52 AM

Re: Cookie Butter. I think Biscoff is better. Smoother. Cookie Butter has a slightly gritty texture.
I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

#47 chezcherie

chezcherie
  • participating member
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:05 AM

Re: Cookie Butter. I think Biscoff is better. Smoother. Cookie Butter has a slightly gritty texture.

haha--this may be the ol' creamy vs crunchy peanut butter preference thing--i love the little crunchy bits in the tj cookie butter. (and i used to carry biscoff home in my suitcase, before tj copied it!) so, one vote for crunchy here.
"Laughter is brightest where food is best."
www.chezcherie.com
Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

#48 heidih

heidih
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 10,649 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:47 AM

I'm not a big TJ fan but have recently become addicted to the chicken tamallitos.

I saw them described in the Flyer and your passion made me give them a try.. Just had a few steamed for lunch along with tomato slices, a chipotle and a green salsa and guacamole. A nice satisfying little meal. My only issue is the wrapper. They use a paper product with fake striations to mimic corn husk. Unfortunately it seals in the moisture a bit too much and the tamale is a touch too wet. I suppose in a microwave that would not be as much of an issue but I really prefer steaming as it seems to fluff up the masa.

#49 flourgirl

flourgirl
  • participating member
  • 145 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:49 PM

I like their walnuts chopped especially for baking. They are just the right size and are a big time saver.

I also like their produce. I get their organic bagged spinach for $1.99/10 oz bag which is much cheaper, ounce per ounce, than most of the other stores in my area.

Trader Joe's has a nice selection of dried fruits which I use for baking too.

All in all, Every time I go, I walk out of that store with several bags for under $15.

There customer service is excellent too.

#50 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:49 AM

Chili Spiced Dried Mango!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG Its so friggin good!

Edited by GlorifiedRice, 07 June 2012 - 09:50 AM.

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

#51 HungryChris

HungryChris
  • participating member
  • 455 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:48 AM

I just recently tried the frozen mushroom ravioli with mushroom truffle sauce. In addition to being quick and easy to prepare, it was quite good. I'll have to get more before it is discontinued.
http://traderjoes.co...?article_id=225

HC

#52 jmolinari

jmolinari
  • participating member
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:54 AM

I just recently tried the frozen mushroom ravioli with mushroom truffle sauce. In addition to being quick and easy to prepare, it was quite good. I'll have to get more before it is discontinued.
http://traderjoes.co...?article_id=225

HC

Those are good. The only problem is that it's a serving for 1.

#53 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 4,697 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:17 AM

thanks for the TJ's tip on the Mushroom Ravioli. Some how I missed it. Pretty tasty for a 4 minute meal!. Its on my Not Cooking Tonight list.

Their scallops 'a la parisienne' is also good for the same reason. used to make this all the time. Its ingenious where the sauce is wrapped around the scallops then frozen as balls: is you use 1/2 package (they are loose in the pack) you still get the right ratio of sauce, more or less.

#54 Toliver

Toliver
  • participating member
  • 4,562 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:40 AM

They have a new spice called "South African Smoke". It comes with a grinder at the top.
It's just paprika (smoked, I believe) flakes, sea salt, garlic and basil but I only taste the smokiness. I've been adding it to everything from omlettes to rice to chicken. Grind a little for just a little smokiness, grind a lot for a stronger flavor. I've been finding that a little goes a long way.
Has anyone else tried it?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”
– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

#55 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 4,697 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:52 AM

shame TJ's went to those throw away grinders. In the past they sold their 'combo' spices in a jar, and you put them in your own (reusable) grinder ie their whole pepper blend (pink, green, black white).

#56 LindaK

LindaK
  • 2,874 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:53 PM

shame TJ's went to those throw away grinders. In the past they sold their 'combo' spices in a jar, and you put them in your own (reusable) grinder ie their whole pepper blend (pink, green, black white).

interesting, I've actually appreciated the TJ grinders--which are not throw-away, you can refill them with whatever you choose. I have a row of dedicated grinders for salts, peppers, and other large spices, thanks to TJ's salts and peppers sold in inexpensive grinders. But I agree with your point, it is too bad that they don't also sell the spices in bulk.

#57 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,130 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:32 PM

In local news today a recall of some TJs products.
"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett
My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

#58 heidih

heidih
  • 10,649 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:55 PM

In local news today a recall of some TJs products.

Here is the link to the TJ site regarding the recalled products - an issue with contamination at the supplier of the diced onions that went into various products.

#59 Pierogi

Pierogi
  • participating member
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:46 PM

interesting, I've actually appreciated the TJ grinders--which are not throw-away, you can refill them with whatever you choose. I have a row of dedicated grinders for salts, peppers, and other large spices, thanks to TJ's salts and peppers sold in inexpensive grinders. But I agree with your point, it is too bad that they don't also sell the spices in bulk.

I'm with you, Linda. I love those things, and have repurposed every one of them since I discovered that you can easily screw off the grinder top and refill. The price point on the filled grinder is stupid low, considering how much utility you can get from the grinder once the original spice is exhausted. Just another thing I love about TJs.
--Roberta--
"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley
Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

#60 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 4,697 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:54 AM

didnt know the tops camke off. ... but Id like the pepper blend bulk back as I have plenty of grinders.