Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Trader Joe's Products (2012– )

• Please log in to reply
417 replies to this topic

#61 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:32 AM

Trader Joe's Soy Sauce: Yesterday I purchased a bottle of TJ's reduced sodium soy sauce, a product we've been using for years. This time there was a new label, and the ingredients indicated the sauce contained vinegar! What's the deal with vinegar in soy sauce? Never heard od such a thing.

.... Shel

#62 Pierogi

Pierogi
  • participating member
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:12 PM

Trader Joe's Soy Sauce: Yesterday I purchased a bottle of TJ's reduced sodium soy sauce, a product we've been using for years. This time there was a new label, and the ingredients indicated the sauce contained vinegar! What's the deal with vinegar in soy sauce? Never heard od such a thing.

Oh, now this really honks me off ! TJs old label soy sauce was my absolute favorite. I liked its flavor way more than the other mainstream (read, gringo-ized) options. I had noticed the label change, and thought "hmmmmm, I sure hope they don't change the sauce itself", but went ahead and bought it anyway. I guess I've only used it in things where the soy sauce flavor wasn't forward so far, because I didn't really notice a difference. Just went and checked the label, yep, it has vinegar, had a taste and, yep, it isn't as good. Last bottle of TJs soy sauce for me......

Damn.
--Roberta--
"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley
Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

#63 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:19 PM

Well, Toots picked up a package of Trader Joe's English Muffins for a weekend guest. The guests are gone, but the muffins linger. They had a very interesting, and satisfying, sourdough flavor, but the texture and bread-like consistancy left much to be desired. I'm not sure that the good flavor aspects outweigh the other, poorer qualities, to warrant another purchase. However, my taste buds are strongly urging that I buy another package.

What are your thoughts on TJ's Englsh Muffins?

.... Shel

#64 hsm

hsm
  • participating member
  • 315 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:14 AM

As an experiment, I just finished one of their ww cinnamon and raisin muffins. No nooks and crannies to speak of, and I miss those. I sprinkled them with cinnamon sugar, as the cinnamon flavor wasn't coming through. Good wheaty flavor, but these are not as good as Bay's. (I'm a Bay's fan.)

#65 heidih

heidih
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:43 PM

I wanted something crispy to pack for lunch along with just cottage cheese and cherry tomatoes as I would be in the heat working - picked up the Rosemary Raisin Crisps and really enjoyed them. They were even better when I got home and spread some excellent local Mushroom Liverwurst on them.

#66 blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin
  • participating member
  • 212 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:07 PM

Those Rosemary Raisin Crisps are very nice with the spreadable goat cheese mentioned upthread. I try to keep some on hand for impromptu guests but it's a struggle not to snarf them up myself!

#67 Kouign Aman

Kouign Aman
  • participating member
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:15 AM

I like the freeze dried tropical fruits for snacks.
"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

#68 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:44 AM

I havent gotten there cookies in a while, but got a 'bin' of Pecan Cookies. they were delicious and fully baked, unlike any Ive ever had from the Big Box places.

#69 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:57 PM

Trader Joe's Eggplant Garlic Spread ... YUMMY! Even Toots loves it.

Attached Images

• Trader Joe's  Eggplant Garlic Spread.jpg

Edited by Shel_B, 06 October 2012 - 04:04 PM.

.... Shel

#70 LindaK

LindaK
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,890 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:35 PM

A recent TJ's find has been the Stone Ground White Grits. They're not something I see very often around here in the Northeast except as an over-priced specialty item. And they're good! Lots of flavor and texture. Great to have in the pantry.

#71 JTravel

JTravel
  • society donor
  • 324 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:37 PM

As of yesterday Rochester, NY has a new TJs....can't wait to take my list and make an expedition to the east side of town. It's very near the flagship Wegmans store....the one everyone takes their visitors to. Never thought we'd get a TJ because Wegmans has such a strong presense. Expect to love them both.

#72 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,429 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:33 PM

I see a road trip in my future!

#73 toolprincess

toolprincess
  • participating member
  • 291 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:05 PM

Just got the fearless flyer yesterday and it has all things pumpkin you can imagine and more. Also saw the phyllo dough listed. And a very intriguing slicing Brie which is a genius rectangle of Brie.

#74 Maison Rustique

Maison Rustique
  • participating member
  • 541 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:43 AM

Try the pumpkin pancake and waffle mix, if you haven't yet.
Deb
Liberty, MO

#75 toolprincess

toolprincess
  • participating member
  • 291 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:15 AM

Made a TJ's run yesterday. Went a little crazy as I hadn't been in a while. Picked up Chili Spiced Mango, Pita Chips with Cinnamon and Sugar (aka Crack), everything pretzel thins (my favorite with hummus), cheese and chile tamales, Butter chicken, Garlic Naan, Pork potstickers, Phyllo dough, Pistachios, green pea crisps and pumpkin granola. Plus the pumpkin pancake and waffle mix.

And the Biscoff like cookie spread (which I haven't tried yet).

#76 Kouign Aman

Kouign Aman
  • participating member
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:13 AM

Got the revised TJ's soysauce. I hadnt noticed the change on the label, but had noticed that the munchkin uses it much less frequently, so I tasted it.
Its not bad but what were they thinking? Their old version was really good!
"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

#77 Emily_R

Emily_R
  • participating member
  • 881 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:49 PM

I just had TJ's frozen brown rice, red rice and black barley medley -- SO GOOD. It comes in three packets that take only 3 minutes to heat in the microwave. It made a perfect quick wholegrain side dish -- we had it with chicken sausage and roasted fennel with grapes. Sadly, I was visiting a friend when I had this -- there's no TJ's right near me. But I liked it so much I'm thinking of trying to cook up batches of all three grains, combine, and freeze my own!

#78 Jmahl

Jmahl
  • participating member
  • 816 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:16 PM

A new TJ is set to open in San Antonio. It's on the checkout list.
The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

#79 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:11 PM

TJ's I noticed today has Grass Fed Steaks: Frozen. I think they were sirloin I didnt look that closely. they were about $10/steak. and again I didnt look at the weight

Has anyone tried these? I plan to rummage through their bin and get a 'decent one' and try it SousVide 130. Ive never had a grass fed steak, although i have two from the CSA in my freezer. I have noted that GFBeef doesnt seem to be butchered with a lot of care: thick fat, thinner on the meat side. OK for SV .

In the past ive enjoyed their frozen rack of lamb. its seasoned but oddly I think seasoned well.

its about 15 $$ for a small rack. Fine for Two. Ive grilled double chops from them, you get 4, and done them whole in the oven rare ( you must ignore their cooking instructions!)

I think these fz ones come from Canada, eh?

Edited by rotuts, 22 October 2012 - 12:12 PM.

#80 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,868 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:22 PM

It looks like I have never posted on this thread however I am a Trader Joe's fan and shop there at least once a week. Here are some items that I buy regularly.
Their fruit and vegetable selection in San Diego is usually pretty good: organic cherry tomatoes, organic citrus, Haas avocados; the bagged salad mixes are very good. Varied flower selection (and reasonably-priced). Also their potted herbs are nice (I bought a lavender this summer).
I don't really love their meat or fish but the whole chickens are decent.
The cheese selection is GREAT and prices are about 1/2 of Whole Foods or the cheese shop. Some of my favorites are the cave-aged gruyere, Roquefort, "Toscano" cheese, fresh goat cheese, raclette (in season), Parmigiano-Reggiano (sometimes you can find Stravecchio), Ossau Iraty ("Basque cheese"). There are more that I am sure I am forgetting. They have c
rème fraîche which can be hard to find. The Greek yoghurt is thick and rich.
The Parma ham is great to add to fresh pasta or pizza. Speaking of which, their fresh ravioli are just average but their frozen woodfired pizzas are very good and the flammekueche (tarte flambee) are another favorite. In the freezer section, the mango ice cream mochi is my guilty pleasure. I buy frozen fruit (mangoes, raspberries) to make smoothies or crumbles. The frozen pains au chocolat (chocolate croissants) are fantastic. I also buy their frozen haricots verts, French peas, broccoli, pearl onions.

I like the Kalamata olive oil in the square bottle and the Abequina olive oil in the little bottle. The balsamic vinegar is a good deal. I buy their canned tomatoes to make tomato sauce.
My husband is addicted to their chocolate chip cookies (the little ones in the big plastic tubs and also the bigger ones in the cardboard box).
We like their mango granola and all the nuts are great (cashews, Thai peanuts, Marconi almonds, macadamias).
They stock Bulleit rye and have a bunch of solid beers under their own label. Their wine selection changes all the time and you can get excellent deals every once in a while (when we find something we really like, we always come back to get a case but often we are not fast enough and it's all gone already!).

Not sure what I would do without Trader Joe's. When I moved to the US from France, I was so relieved to find this store!

#81 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,868 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:35 PM

How can I forget... their buffalo mozzarella is wonderful and MUCH cheaper than Whole Foods.
Another thing I buy regularly is the salsa - fresca or roasted, both great.

#82 Paul Bacino

Paul Bacino
  • participating member
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:55 PM

Been munching on TJ's soft bite Mini almond Biscotti's

Great with Morning Joe

PB
Its good to have Morels

#83 Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow
  • participating member
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:46 PM

Paul, have you tried TJ's chocolate hazelnut biscotti?

#84 Paul Bacino

Paul Bacino
  • participating member
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:26 AM

Katie,

I have not tried the " chocolate hazelnut biscott ".. I bought the Almond to try and.. the Nutrition facts didn't look to bad and 1-2 little cookies , and thatis about all I need for snack. I'll probably go back and give the chocolate hazelnut biscotti a try now that these are pretty good.

BTW--Have you tried them?

Paul
Its good to have Morels

#85 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,868 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:50 PM

New addiction: the mesquite-smoked almonds. Great with cocktails!

#86 Toliver

Toliver
  • participating member
  • 4,606 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:09 AM

I tried what I think is a new TJ product...Whole Grain Rye Mini Toasts. It's like a bag of flat rye croutons. They're super crisp and crunchy and the rye flavor is intense.
They were great for dipping in hummus.

edited to add: I also tried a new (to me) Pomegranate flavored Kefir which was quite good, as well.

Edited by Toliver, 30 October 2012 - 10:11 AM.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”
– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

#87 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:17 AM

LOOK, just like with Aldi, I just implore newbies to JUST GO!

Just go to Trader Joes and have a look around and buy a few things, take them home and eat them. You will love it.
Wawa Sizzli FTW!

#88 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:23 AM

and if you really dont like them take them back and get a credit or a refund!

on the other hand I cant imagine anyone not already going there if its 'with in' ones shopping radius.

Edited by rotuts, 30 October 2012 - 11:24 AM.

#89 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,868 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:36 AM

I no longer have the original packaging so I can't take them back for a refund, but the Applegate Farms hot dogs are pretty bad. Their taste is off (almost sweet) and the texture is a little odd as well.

The only other thing from TJ's I can remember not liking is their coffee. I don't normally buy coffee from TJ's but last time I tried it their Italian espresso was ok while everything else was quite bland.

#90 Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow
  • participating member
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:48 AM

Katie,

I have not tried the " chocolate hazelnut biscott ".. I bought the Almond to try and.. the Nutrition facts didn't look to bad and 1-2 little cookies , and thatis about all I need for snack. I'll probably go back and give the chocolate hazelnut biscotti a try now that these are pretty good.

BTW--Have you tried them?

Paul

Have I tried the choc hazelnut ones? Oh yeah, I'm a heavy user. Good choc flavor, not too sweet. I used them crushed with graham crackers about 1:1 for a crust and that was fantastic.