Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Trader Joe's Products (2012– )

• Please log in to reply
431 replies to this topic

#391 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,696 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:55 AM

i use this from time to time:

TJPan.jpg

i like it.  box says 'pancakes, waffles, biscuits, coffeecake'

keep forgetting to try the coffeecake version  you add sugar, fz berries etc

id try it first.  you can take it back if you dont like it

the box weighs 2 lbs and is basically a multigrain grain and flour mixture + leavening.

#392 Franci

Franci
  • participating member
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:48 AM

Thanks Rotuts, I'll get it next time I'm at TJ and try it.

#393 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,018 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:11 AM

The buttermilk pancake mix is decent, but I stopped buying it when I realized how easy it was to make your own pre-made mix.

#394 Franci

Franci
  • participating member
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:21 AM

The buttermilk pancake mix is decent, but I stopped buying it when I realized how easy it was to make your own pre-made mix.

FrogPrincess, I never make pancakes from mixes, I use a recipe I'm very happy with. But my friend, back in Monaco, tried it and said that her pancakes didn't come as good as mine. If I take maple syrup back I thought it would be good to take back a mix as well. Maybe I can put together a small collection of recipes for her too.

#395 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,696 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:35 AM

Id get the Darkest MS they have.  thats just me.

#396 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,696 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:14 PM

Franci:

in re-thinking your plan to bring interesting food presents to Europe ;

dont take Flour.  I think they have that over there.  take a few Rx's

unless you have a Friend chartering you a Jumbo Jets ;

Maple syrup  ( please take some Dark ) will work well with Scones, Crumpets, or the local equivalent.

Ive forgotten the FR and Italian equivalents.

When do you have to go ?   Ill take a look at my TJ's soon and see if I can find somthing

light.

cheers

#397 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,696 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:23 PM

Ooooooo !

Ive  just figured it out !

no flour to EU

Take your Rx for pancakes.

But ...... that dark MS ? 

think crepes.

dark MS crepes !

pics would be nice !

#398 Franci

Franci
  • participating member
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:20 PM

Ok Rotuts, you are right, I prefer to pack children's scooters than flour. I'll get the dark MS (the one you find there it's crap and expensive). I still have 3 weeks to buy more, if something comes to mind, please, let me know. I appreciate. Thanks

#399 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:42 PM

The frozen Chilis Relenos! I just ate two... yum

• andiesenji and Shel_B like this
Wawa Sizzli FTW!

#400 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,404 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 04:57 PM

I can tell you that my Euro and Brit friends who visit here buy and either carry or ship home pancake mix - especially the blueberry pancake mix made by Krusteaz - sold at Smart & Final. 

The last visitor, from Hungary, I took to S & F bought ten of the 28 ounce boxes and bought an extra suitcase to pack them and a couple of other food products that are not common over there, a can of malted milk powder. 

Edited by andiesenji, 17 June 2014 - 04:58 PM.

• Franci likes this
"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett
My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

#401 powerdog

powerdog
  • participating member
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:44 AM

The more I visit our new TJ, the more I like it. One thing I've noticed is that the fresh produce always looks really fresh. In our conventional supermarkets, veggies often look like they're a day away from the dumpster.

A product I really liked this week is the frozen Mojito Salmon. Plenty of fish for two meals, if served on rice or pasta. And I don't think you could get that much fresh salmon at a lower cost.

I've also been enjoying their refrigerated wraps, like the Vietnamese chicken salad. One wrap makes two lunches at about $2/lunch.

If I have to say one negative thing about my new love, it's that I can't get too excited about the cold cereals. Haven't found any yet that seem especially good, but have only tried 4 or 5 of them.

#402 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,696 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:21 AM

I eat Joe's O's.  they are fine by me.  as long as I eat them up before they absorb the humidity that's right around the corner.

there is a wrap I 'sneek' into the shopping bag once and a while:

I its called the Turkey BLT. You have to like Turkey, BTW.

I also like their filled pasta ( raviioli-like ) in the refrigerator section.

Edited by rotuts, 19 June 2014 - 10:22 AM.

#403 MelissaH

MelissaH
  • participating member
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:23 AM

I eat Joe's O's.  they are fine by me.  as long as I eat them up before they absorb the humidity that's right around the corner.

Our solution to this, as well as all other cereals, is a clothespin. When you open the bag inside the box, do so carefully (using scissors if need be). Then, after you pour out what you need each time, push the air out of the bag, fold the top two corners in, roll the top down a couple of times, and secure with a clothespin. For us, anyway, this keeps the cereal crispy long past the amount of time a box of cereal SHOULD last in our house. This even works for things with a sugar coating on the outside like Corn Pops, which otherwise become sticky and not worth eating in a couple of summer days.

• Smithy and andiesenji like this
MelissaH
Oswego, NY
Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

#404 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:22 PM

The frozen Chilis Relenos! I just ate two... yum

While we've not yet tried them, a friend recommended them and said they were quite good.

.... Shel

#405 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:33 PM

Our solution to this, as well as all other cereals, is a clothespin. When you open the bag inside the box, do so carefully (using scissors if need be). Then, after you pour out what you need each time, push the air out of the bag, fold the top two corners in, roll the top down a couple of times, and secure with a clothespin. For us, anyway, this keeps the cereal crispy long past the amount of time a box of cereal SHOULD last in our house. This even works for things with a sugar coating on the outside like Corn Pops, which otherwise become sticky and not worth eating in a couple of summer days.

Toots does something similar, but since she often doesn't keep the boxes, she packages the O's (which remain in their original bag, sealed as you describe, except using a bag clip or a couple of rubber bands) and puts that into a Ziploc freezer bag 

http://www.ziploc.co...n15_306x198.png

squeezing out as much air as possible, folds it over on itself, sometimes more than once, and then uses a wide bag clip to secure.  Works like a charm.  Even after a month the O's remain pretty fresh, and I'm fussy about eating "soggy" cereal.

Edited by Shel_B, 27 June 2014 - 05:35 PM.

• andiesenji and MelissaH like this

.... Shel

#406 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,404 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:48 PM

Toots does something similar, but since she often doesn't keep the boxes, she packages the O's (which remain in their original bag, sealed as you describe, except using a bag clip or a couple of rubber bands) and puts that into a Ziploc freezer bag 

http://www.ziploc.co...n15_306x198.png

squeezing out as much air as possible, folds it over on itself, sometimes more than once, and then uses a wide bag clip to secure.  Works like a charm.  Even after a month the O's remain pretty fresh, and I'm fussy about eating "soggy" cereal.

I have clothespins slip off the bags that are waxy and slippery.  I use bindery clips.  I have them in all sizes from tiny to huge and they will hold anything securely.   I also have some stainless steel alligator clips for really big jobs but they are more expensive.

• Shel_B likes this
"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett
My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

#407 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 06:17 AM

I have clothespins slip off the bags that are waxy and slippery.  I use bindery clips.  I have them in all sizes from tiny to huge and they will hold anything securely.   I also have some stainless steel alligator clips for really big jobs but they are more expensive.

Yeah, we use those bindery clips as well, although I use them more than Toots.  No particular reason though, it just worked out that way.  Clothespins are kind of long for our needs and preferences, and they don't seal as wide an area as the bag clips and bindery clips.  Plus, the handles on the bindery clips can be folded down, thus saving some more space.

• andiesenji likes this

.... Shel

#408 powerdog

powerdog
  • participating member
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:58 AM

My cereal struggle continues at TJ's. I came home with 3 boxes, but forgot to check the nutrition panels. Barbara's Spoonfuls, at 5g sugar, can stay. But the TJ mixed berry granola and raisin bran clusters (17/18 g sugar) have to go back. Am I missing any good bets in TJ's own cereals, like 5-10 g sugar, aside from the O's and shredded wheat?

#409 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:23 PM

:raz:

• patti_h likes this
Wawa Sizzli FTW!

#410 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,696 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:46 PM

Ooooooooooo

its a cult.  not like WF

but cheaper

and

its easy to " Take It Back "

they have a Lamb Koftas :

http://www.traderjoe...th-masala-sauce

Ive sampled it 4 times

sometimes Im 'Not Sure' so they let me have a second sample !

:biggrin:

I have not purchased any yet

Im trying to Enjoy Many SV Items from my basement freezer

so that i might have a shelf for further Experiments.

( Freezer SV over all rating :  91. )

but I liked these " Balls "

as AnnaN says :  " no snickering "

they are mild with some 'spice' and a bit of glow later, but not much.

these, w your own rice , and some dahl and Naan

there you go.

sprinkle something green over it all

cilantro ?

Done.

Edited by rotuts, 31 July 2014 - 12:47 PM.

#411 Jon Savage

Jon Savage
  • participating member
  • 433 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:19 PM

Be on the lookout for Kürbiskernöl- marketed as toasted pumpkinseed oil from Styria (Austria). It is damn good. Nutty dark green and sublime. Good for salad particularly rindesalat (beef salad) & paradeis (tomato salad) - also darned good to fry eggs with if you don't mind green eggs. In short get some.    It is a small 250 ml metal container in the oil section for $9ish(!). Worth every penny. It is was generally artisanal when I lived in Austria; you bought it at the farmer's market in corked .5l (formerly beer) bottles from old ladies at the farmer's market. Not cheap then. Not cheap now but worth every cent. I'm going back Monday to buy a few bottles to store- they should be shelf stable & g-d knows If there's something you really like @ TJ's most likely it will soon be gone. 

Full disclosure I Lived in Austria for the better part of 10 years so this product is sentimental to me. That said it is sublime. My ex texted me about it the other day (she's Austrian) she was very excited & I can confirm it is the real deal. Nutty, dark green & sublime. 

Edited by Jon Savage, 31 July 2014 - 09:21 PM.

• Franci and patti_h like this

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--

#412 heidih

heidih
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 10,824 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:31 PM

Thanks Jon - I have been exploring nut oils and had heard about the culture around the pumpkinseed oil in parts of Europe - will give it a go if available this weekend.

#413 Ashen

Ashen
  • participating member
  • 500 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:57 AM

I bought some roasted gorgonzola crackers  last time I was there.. love them, wish I had bought another box as it will be a while until we get back to Amherst. 

Also bought a bottle of blood orange italian soda which I haven't cracked into yet.  Hoping it is as good as or better than  Galvanina. 

"Why is the rum always gone?"
Captain Jack Sparrow

#414 powerdog

powerdog
  • participating member
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:41 AM

TJ's Blueberry & Pomegranate Unsweetened Green Tea: interesting product. I kinda like it, but I'm not sure I'd buy it again. Very fragrant, so you'd think the taste of fruit would be strong, but there's almost no taste. In fact, I tried a few sips while holding my nose, and it tasted like slightly tart tap water. 

I've never tried anything like Vitaminwater, so I don't know is this is a trend now. But in a world of overpoweringly sweet juice drinks, I was pleasantly surprised that it was so understated.

#415 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:46 AM

Be on the lookout for Kürbiskernöl- marketed as toasted pumpkinseed oil from Styria (Austria). It is damn good. Nutty dark green and sublime. Good for salad particularly rindesalat (beef salad) & paradeis (tomato salad) - also darned good to fry eggs with if you don't mind green eggs. In short get some.    It is a small 250 ml metal container in the oil section for $9ish(!). Worth every penny. It is was generally artisanal when I lived in Austria; you bought it at the farmer's market in corked .5l (formerly beer) bottles from old ladies at the farmer's market. Not cheap then. Not cheap now but worth every cent. I'm going back Monday to buy a few bottles to store- they should be shelf stable & g-d knows If there's something you really like @ TJ's most likely it will soon be gone. 

Full disclosure I Lived in Austria for the better part of 10 years so this product is sentimental to me. That said it is sublime. My ex texted me about it the other day (she's Austrian) she was very excited & I can confirm it is the real deal. Nutty, dark green & sublime. 

I found that oil in my local TJ stores.  For those who are not handy to a TJ's, here's an on line source:  http://www.wholehear...ed-oil-shop.htm

A couple of friends brought me a bottle of roasted butternut squash seed oil (not from the above source) and it's fantastic.  Toots especially likes her squash, and the oil is a wonderful addition to many preparations.

.... Shel

#416 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,696 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:52 AM

a word of caution:

do not read this thread  youve been warned !   :huh:

http://forums.egulle...ream-your-take/

#417 patti_h

patti_h
  • participating member
  • 77 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:50 AM

I was disappointed by the stone ground grits. They seems to have inedible bits in them (like chaff?). I'm sticking with local grits here. I have. However enjoyed the Carolina Gold BBQ sauce. Very similar to what you get in Upstate SC. It is a bit on the sweet side though.

Thanks to this thread I did pick up a little can of the toasted pumpkinseed oil. Will try on my salad today.

#418 Toliver

Toliver
  • participating member
  • 4,626 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:46 AM

On impulse, I bought their Tangerine Juice (in the refrigerated section). I was glad to see that the juice was pasteurized. It's a refreshing mixer with my usual Diet Canada Dry Ginger Ale. 

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”
– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

#419 Toliver

Toliver
  • participating member
  • 4,626 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:10 AM

I just tried their Potato Chips with South African style seasonings. They're an odd duck, so to speak.

Upon first bite, they taste like any BBQ chip with that little bit of sweetness. Then you taste a smokiness and other "umami"-ish flavors (the batch I had tasted a little too salty). But the spiel on the bag mentions South African BBQ rubs for meat. I thought that was quite accurate. They taste like a meat marinade. The crushed chips could make for a nice breading/coating on fish or meat.

Overall, they're an interesting chip.

• rotuts likes this

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”
– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

#420 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,132 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:35 PM

Anybody tried their cold brew coffee concentrate? $8 for the equivalent of 12 8oz coffees...or is it 8 12 oz...either way, 96 oz of coffee.