Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

New find in Katy, TX - Venezuelan!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,298 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:57 AM

I've been driving past the gas station at the corner of South Mason and Cinco Ranch Blvd in Katy for a couple of years now.  Sure, I noticed the sign on one corner of the building that said, "Deli's Cafe," but I figured that particular "Deli" probably was short for "delicatessen" and, all too often, "delicatessen" is short for "cold sandwiches in a vending machine."  So I never bothered to stop in and check it out.

Imagine my surprise when, about a week ago, while waiting at the doctor's office, I struck up a conversation with a woman newly-arrived from Venezuela.  While chatting about her overall impressions of Katy, she said something to the effect that Katy's population is very heavily Venezuelan and that she had even found a brand new Spanish preschool to which she was planning on sending her 3-year-old daughter.

I have a 3-year-old granddaughter, so I was interested in this "brand new Spanish preschool," so I asked where it's located.

"It's at that mall on the corner of Mason and Cinco Ranch," she said.  "You know, where the Deli's Venezuelan Cafe is."

I didn't know where Deli's Venezuelan Cafe is.  But I sure do now.

The place is run by Venezuelans, and it's as authentic Venezuelan cuisine as you can get.  Not only is it not "cold sandwiches in a vending machine," it offers just about anything one could want:  empanadas, pastelitos, arepas, asados, sopas, tostones, tajadas, tequenones, ensaladas, etc. 

And my new very favorite thing: cachapas.  Especially the one featuring "queso de mano," homemade cheese.  I've never had anything quite like this.  It sort of resembles a taco, but the texture of what would be the corn tortilla in a taco is softer, with large pieces of corn, kind of like if a corn tortilla and corn pudding had an illegimate love child.  The homemade cheese in the one I ordered was a soft, mild white cheese.  I noticed people at several tables pouring a delicious-looking green sauce over their cachapa, so I did the same.

This was easily the best fast-food type of lunch I've had in a very long time.

I can't possibly recommend this place highly enough.

Joan Rivers says she's starting a new charity - "Feels on Wheels" - a service delivering sexual contact to the elderly.

#2 kaneel

kaneel
  • participating member
  • 177 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:54 PM

Can't wait to try it!