Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Cooking with "Modernist Cuisine at Home" (Part 2)

Modernist Cookbook

• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

#181 Dave W

Dave W
  • participating member
  • 57 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 06:20 PM

I haven't tried this recipe but on paper it seems wrong even considering that as a goal as appropriate levels of nitrate or any smoke really will be plenty red.

It seems kinda lame to lean on bacon mayonnaise with real bacon in it for bacon flavor if you're bothering to cure some pork already. I think 2 hours of hot or 8 of cold smoke before the SV bath would e way better tasting AND more in theme with the idea of this sandwich.
  • Okanagancook likes this

#182 bobchadwick

bobchadwick
  • provisional member
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:24 PM

Thanks for your very helpful replies! I'm not actually making the BLTs, but I saw that and wanted to make sure I want totally missing something.

#183 DiggingDogFarm

DiggingDogFarm
  • participating member
  • 1,162 posts

Posted Today, 12:02 PM

Is there a problem with the pork belly brine in the pork belly BLT recipe? The brine is made up of 1 L water,  70 g salt, 30 g sugar, and 30 g insta cure #1. I don't have a lot of experience with insta cure, but that amount is way more than other recipes that I've seen call for.

There's no problem with it from a safety standpoint.

If one follows USA regulations for an immersion cure as a guide, up to 2 pounds of sodium nitrite per 100 gallons of water is permitted for a 10% pick-up level (200ppm nitrite)

So, up to 5 ounces of Insta-Cure #1 per gallon of water or 38 grams of Insta-Cure #1 per liter of water.

~Martin

Unsupervised rebellious radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, nonconformist and contrarian who questions everything!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Modernist, Cookbook