Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Rich Cocoa Powder

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 Emily_R

Emily_R
  • participating member
  • 877 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:22 AM

Whoa! Nice collection Andiesenji! It is good to be reminded about King Arthur as an option. I bought the Vahlrona cocoa once and thought it was so dark that it made my final dish taste burned -- I really didn't like it and ultimately threw it out!

• judiu and andiesenji like this

#32 merstar

merstar
  • participating member
  • 912 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:41 AM

I've been happy with Ghiradelli's dutch cocoa -- good quality at a reasonable price... 

Hey Emily,

Ghirardelli makes a natural unsweetened cocoa - Only their sweetened cocoa is Dutched.

http://chocolate.ghi...ed-Cocoa-Powder

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

#33 merstar

merstar
  • participating member
  • 912 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:44 AM

Whoa! Nice collection Andiesenji! It is good to be reminded about King Arthur as an option. I bought the Vahlrona cocoa once and thought it was so dark that it made my final dish taste burned -- I really didn't like it and ultimately threw it out!

I hate Valrhona cocoa powder! I bought it once and couldn't even stand the smell - it was definitely an off-smell and taste. My favorite Dutched cocoa powder is El Rey, but unfortunately, they stopped producing it a year or two ago. I was so disappointed.

• andiesenji likes this

#34 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,129 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:00 PM

I hate Valrhona cocoa powder! I bought it once and couldn't even stand the smell - it was definitely an off-smell and taste. My favorite Dutched cocoa powder is El Rey, but unfortunately, they stopped producing it a year or two ago. I was so disappointed.

I only use the Valrhona in dishes that are also flavored with other strong flavors.  I've never noticed any "off" smell or flavor but it is strong.

I bought some cocoa at Williams-Sonoma several years ago which I immediately returned.  It had a strong "ammonia" smell - reminded me of my neighbor's house when she hasn't cleaned the cat box...  The clerk at W-S couldn't understand my complaint so I pulled the lid off the can and stuck it under her nose - I thought she was going to faint -   She called the manager and after she smelled it, they pulled all the cans off the shelf and as I left, were opening them.  I heard an emphatic, Oh God!  as I went out the door.   I don't remember the brand - it wasn't the store label. 

I make a chile that calls for "bitter" chocolate and I sub in the Valrhona cocoa because with regular chocolate, even small amounts,

I get an allergic reaction which I have never had with anything made with cocoa.

My allergist really doubted it but he did a sensitivity test on my back, where I couldn't see, and he used 6 samples, 2 from regular chocolate, including unsweetened and 3 from Dutched cocoa and 1 from ground cocoa nibs.  I reacted strongly to the 2 chocolates, mildly to the cocoa nibs and not at all to the Dutched cocoa. 

I forgot to note that the cocoa in the container labeled: "TRIP COCOA"  is  a combination of 3 Guittard dutched cocoas.  Cocoa "Rouge" - Full Dutched "Jersey" and Medium Dutched "Rio Cocoa"  which was recommended by a baker friend for use in lighter cakes - like those I bake for making rolled cakes, sponge cakes leavened only with egg whites.  Some cocoa powders cause the beaten whites to collapse, but this stuff needs less cocoa and combined well with the whites - the sugar has to be mixed into the cocoa first and 1/3 less of the cocoa is needed. 

Edited by andiesenji, 28 January 2014 - 01:20 PM.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett
My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

#35 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,129 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:05 PM

I made these brownies a few days ago - using a combination of the Double Dutch and the Black Cocoa - 

black cocoa brownies.JPG   

You can't get that deep, dark color with regular cocoa.

• judiu likes this
"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

#36 Emily_R

Emily_R
  • participating member
  • 877 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:49 PM

Andie -- thanks for letting me know -- I never realized that the Ghiradelli I use isn't dutched. I've had good success with it baking, but will have to expand my cocoa repertoire!

#37 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,129 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:35 PM

Andie -- thanks for letting me know -- I never realized that the Ghiradelli I use isn't dutched. I've had good success with it baking, but will have to expand my cocoa repertoire!

It wasn't me that posted the correction.  It was merstar who was so helpful.

#38 Emily_R

Emily_R
  • participating member
  • 877 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:22 PM

Ooops -- thank you Merstar! Sorry to not get the attribution right the first time!

#39 merstar

merstar
  • participating member
  • 912 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:05 PM

No problem!