Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Dinner! 2013 (Part 2)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
596 replies to this topic

#511 C. sapidus

C. sapidus
  • participating member
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:31 PM

Cartwheels with sausage, cream, and tomato – plus garlic, parsley, black pepper, and parmesan cheese after picture time.

Grilled Belgian endive – Broiled with olive oil, S&P. Simple and good.

Elder son postponed his social plans to dine with us.

p1561437458-4.jpg

#512 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:46 AM

More Persian cooking - ground lamb kebabs served in lavash with fresh basil and lime juice.

lavash.jpg

stack_of_lavash.jpg

crudites.jpg

kebabs.jpg

#513 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 894 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:01 AM

Your lavash looks superb, patrickamory! I can't quite see from the picture what you're cooking it on; is that a big round flat skillet? Is it specially for making this bread?

I've really enjoyed learning about Persian food from your posts - you'd better not get sick of it and stop posting :wink:

#514 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:54 AM

Haha, it's actually my partner who makes it. He repurposes an upside-down khadai, over high heat. With just a bit of flour.

He's the Persian cook around here, and there will definitely be more coming!

#515 Baselerd

Baselerd
  • participating member
  • 460 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:11 AM

The "Chicken and Egg" recipe from Momofuku cookbook. This was some of the best chicken I've ever made. The recipe has you brine chicken legs in a sweet brine, then cold smoke (mesquite) them. I strayed from the recipe a little by using SV for the following confit process (170 F for 8 hours in pork fat). This recipe serves the chicken with a slow-cooked egg (143 F for 45 minutes), quick-pickled cucumbers, and short grain rice. I added some tare sauce I had laying around as well.

tumblr_mlwh1cf03x1rvhqcjo1_1280.jpg

#516 TinaYuan

TinaYuan
  • participating member
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:17 PM

Finally make Prawncracker's miso sesame sauce today! Really delicious, sweet and nutty. Cannot wait for meat tomorrow. So I use some leftover sourdough to make a veggie pizza, using that miso sauce. How can I say that.... I planned to add some cilantro on top.  But I cannot wait after it came out from the oven....

mspeg.jpg

I feel so guilty to eat the whole one for dinner......

Life is beautiful.

#517 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 894 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:23 PM

Finally make Prawncracker's miso sesame sauce today! Really delicious, sweet and nutty. Cannot wait for meat tomorrow. So I use some leftover sourdough to make a veggie pizza, using that miso sauce. How can I say that.... I planned to add some cilantro on top.  But I cannot wait after it came out from the oven....

attachicon.gifmspeg.jpg

I feel so guilty to eat the whole one for dinner......

You don't want to waste that kind of stuff on other people :biggrin: That sourdough looks great!

#518 mm84321

mm84321
  • participating member
  • 799 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:33 PM

Suckling pig from Four Story Hill Farm. 
ZNgZjvtl.jpg
For this, the rack and saddle are used. The saddle is split and roasted on the bone. 
aRsfYY5l.jpg
Ravioli are made with Brin d'Amour. The cheese is mixed with its herbs to make a smooth paste. 
T82BqV9l.jpg
It is then piped onto shortcrust dough, and folded like regular ravioli. 
GPkr8Ekl.jpg
tMRamBKl.jpg
These are fried quickly in olive oil and then glazed in a mixture of honey vinegar, honey and olive oil, all from Corsica. 
uPulA2pl.jpg
Spinach from my garden
45sNXv6l.jpg
Cooked simply in butter with a clove of garlic. This is then drained and pressed into round molds.
mFvMltRl.jpg
The spinach is garnished with carrots and celery root which are also cooked in butter
TA35fxpl.jpg
A pork jus is made from the scraps, browned in oil first, then butter, shallots, garlic and chicken stock. The fat is clarified then added back in. The consistency should just coat a spoon. 
tnaXMAKl.jpg
The rack and saddle are browned on the stovetop, then finished in the oven and allowed to rest for at least 10 minutes. 
gCzHSQHl.jpg

#519 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:07 PM

Very nice to see this portrayal of the progression of your dish, mm84321.  You ought to do this sort of pictorial description more often.  Lovely final result as always.

#520 Ashen

Ashen
  • participating member
  • 502 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:50 PM

GEDC3933_zpsa229f15f.jpg

Charcoal grilled Wing steak, baked potato butter and chives  and tomato dressed with s&p kalamata olive oil  and  chives..  first  from the garden this spring  YUM

GEDC3934_zps3d083af5.jpg

"Why is the rum always gone?"
Captain Jack Sparrow

#521 TinaYuan

TinaYuan
  • participating member
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:53 AM

Plantes Vertes, thank you! Addicted to that sauce now, use it for everything~ 

mm84321, the first picture scared me when I bed read this post last night....As usual, your dish is like a art masterpiece!

Life is beautiful.

#522 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 894 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:20 AM

I braised some vegetables and made a quinoa vegetable timbale.

Attached Images

• 017 (640x480).jpg

#523 mm84321

mm84321
  • participating member
  • 799 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:53 AM

Very nice to see this portrayal of the progression of your dish, mm84321.  You ought to do this sort of pictorial description more often.  Lovely final result as always.

Thanks. I will try to do the same for future posts.

mm84321, the first picture scared me when I bed read this post last night....As usual, your dish is like a art masterpiece!

It is perhaps not the most flattering angle. Thanks, though!

#524 C. sapidus

C. sapidus
  • participating member
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:27 PM

Dinner from Marcella’s Italian Kitchen

Fricaseed chicken with vinegar – with rosemary, garlic, anchovies, and S&P. Very popular.

Gratineed asparagus and Swiss chard – (Swiss chard stems) parboiled and then baked/broiled with parmesan cheese and butter. Elder son’s friend loves cheese and steers clear of vegetables, but this won him over.

Sauteed Swiss chard with garlic – parboiled the Swiss chard leaves and then sautéed in olive oil. Hate to see perfectly good greens go to waste.

p1564776124-4.jpg

#525 Mr Holloway

Mr Holloway
  • participating member
  • 173 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:40 AM

Fantastic looking meals everyone

Great minds, Dave :smile:

Dinner was steak, done right on the coals

ribsteak.jpg

Flipped, then pulled off to rest while the sides get going

smokin-1.jpg

Some sides

sides-5.jpg

Shrooms were too good, they didn't make it to the plate :laugh:

ribsteakdinner.jpg

Was a tasty dinner

steakum.jpg

Shane

#526 scamhi

scamhi
  • participating member
  • 302 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:48 AM

Fantastic looking meals everyone

Great minds, Dave :smile:

Dinner was steak, done right on the coals

Flipped, then pulled off to rest while the sides get going

Some sides

Shrooms were too good, they didn't make it to the plate :laugh:

ribsteakdinner.jpg

Was a tasty dinner

Shane

Shane,

how did you get grill marks on the steak if you cooked it directly on the coals?

Edited by scamhi, 29 April 2013 - 10:49 AM.

#527 Mr Holloway

Mr Holloway
  • participating member
  • 173 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:15 AM

Hey Scamhi

Good eye :laugh:

The steak is pulled off the coals, allowed to rest, seasoned and then brought up to temp before dinner :smile:

Shane

#528 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:42 PM

on the grill? for the marks?   do you dust off the coal bits?

#529 mgaretz

mgaretz
  • participating member
  • 789 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:38 PM

Been lurking for some time but enjoying my new Traeger Pellet Smoker.  My wife gave it to me for an early birthday present about 4 weeks ago and so far we've made pulled pork, ribs, hot-smoked salmon, wood-fired pizza, whole roasted chicken (all of the preceding twice each except the salmon which we've made three times), roasted cut-up chicken, tri-tip, pork tenderloin, and now pastrami:

pastrami.jpg

(Sorry for the quick and dirty iPhone shot)

#530 Ranz

Ranz
  • participating member
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:20 PM

Holy wow Mark, that looks amazing.

Short rib?

#531 C. sapidus

C. sapidus
  • participating member
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:34 PM

Caramelized minced pork – Onion, fish sauce, caramel sauce, sugar, and scallions. Would have been quick except I had to make a new batch of caramel sauce.

Tiger-skin peppers – Poblano, Fresno, and red bell peppers with Chinkiang vinegar. Simple and good.

Coconut rice – Younger son’s favorite

p1567530754-4.jpg

#532 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:15 PM

Bruce, those tiger skin peppers - what did you do? (here's one description from someone else which does not involve vinegar)

Ditto the "coconut rice" ?

#533 C. sapidus

C. sapidus
  • participating member
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:21 PM

Bruce, those tiger skin peppers - what did you do? (here's one description from someone else which does not involve vinegar)

Ditto the "coconut rice" ?

Huiray, thanks for your question. Tiger-skin green peppers is a Fuchsia Dunlop recipe from Land of Plenty (fu pi qing jiao) – very similar recipe here (scroll to the end): http://www.gochengdo...ste_of_jealousy

Coconut rice” is just steamed jasmine rice, replacing the water with half chicken stock and half coconut milk. I usually add a little salt and sugar, too.

#534 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:44 PM

Bruce, aha thanks.

Just curious - do you (or other folks here) read or follow anyone else other than that Englishwoman Fuchsia Dunlop when it comes to Chinese cookery?  I just picked up two books off the top of my pile of my cookbooks and they are "The Hakka Cookbook" by Linda Lau Anusasananan; "A Tradition of Soup" by Teresa M. Chen... ;-) and they are written in ENGLISH, no less. :-D

#535 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:19 AM

IMG_0773_zpse951591a.jpg

Lamb shoulder. 24 hours/64C then hit w/ a dry rub (salt, pepper, herbs de prov, dried onion) and browned quickly in the oven. Apologies for the shitty iPhone photo: actually rocked out the SLR but it decided it wasn't in the mood for photography.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#536 jvalentino

jvalentino
  • participating member
  • 198 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:31 AM

Carnitas. I loosely followed this Tracy Des Jardin recipe- http://www.chow.com/...-carnitas-tacos

Attached Images

• image.jpg

#537 mgaretz

mgaretz
  • participating member
  • 789 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:44 AM

Holy wow Mark, that looks amazing.

Short rib?

Nope. I start with a packaged corned beef brisket - primarily because when they are on sale, and usually even when they're not, it's much cheaper than buying brisket. Not to mention that the curing has already been done which saves many days.

#538 C. sapidus

C. sapidus
  • participating member
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:29 AM

jvalentino – Carnitas sound fantastic! I like the recipe, too: “Open the beer and take a big swig and then add the bottle to the pan.”  :laugh:

Just curious - do you (or other folks here) read or follow anyone else other than that Englishwoman Fuchsia Dunlop when it comes to Chinese cookery?  

huiray – I have other Chinese cookbooks, but cook almost exclusively from “that Englishwoman” for three reasons: the cookbooks cover Sichuan and Hunan (my favorites); the recipes are very well written; and the food has turned out wonderfully.  Do you have other recommendations for Sichuan/Hunan cookbooks?

#539 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70
  • legacy participant
  • 7,609 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:36 AM

Fairway has been selling fava beans for the past couple of weeks. Normally you'll not see fava beans until late May/early June at USGM, so I scored some to satisfy my craving until then.

last night:

8694923799_3b1d5edc8b_z.jpg

It's quite simple -- fry pancetta, guanciale or bacon, then add minced shallots and shelled fava beans. Deglaze with white wine, taste for salt and pepper, stir in some chives. Eat.

next:

8694924081_0df00affc6_z.jpg

Pasta with spring greens (beet greens, Red Russian kale), anchovy and lemon

#540 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 894 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:40 AM

Today I made a chicken stew for my poor sick mother, but she scuttled it off back to her bedroom on a tray and I didn't get a picture, dammit!