Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

The Soup Topic (2013–)

• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#31 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 720 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:24 PM

Today, pea and mint with fresh chives and spirulina.

Saute a small onion, add 1lb green peas and stock to cover, boil to cook peas, puree, add chopped mint, chives, lemon juice, salt and white pepper and 1/2-1tsp spirulina. Garnish with olive oil and croutons.

#32 janeer

janeer
  • participating member
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:33 PM

I never seem to get around to posting pix, so this is a little out of season (at least here in Tucson, where it is in the 80s), but this chestnut soup is one of my favorites. Vacuum packed chestnuts from Trader Joe's work well, as do canned chestnuts from France, if you don't prepare your own.

#33 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 720 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:21 AM

Today, carrot, cumin, chilli and coriander. And ginger and onions.

I roasted the carrots, onions and spices in olive oil, then pureed with stock, salt and pepper and garnished with a lot of coriander.

I find it hard to know when to stop eating soup. It tastes so good and I always make more than two servings, even though we are only two. :biggrin:

Edited by Plantes Vertes, 08 April 2013 - 08:25 AM.

#34 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 720 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:37 AM

Today, desperate to obey two harsh gods - Punctuality and Greed - I made an excellent tomato soup in under 10 mins. Food purists and any who distrust the microwave, please avert your gaze.

I put a small chopped shallot covered with olive oil into the microwave for 3 mins. (It turns out perfectly this way; soft and lightly caramelised, but you mustn't completely cover the vessel - use a lid with vents - otherwise the onion will steam and taste soapy.) Then I added 1lb of baby plum tomatoes, stabbed to release the juices, and microwaved for 4 more minutes. To finish I pureed it with a large handful of parsley, salt and black pepper. No added liquid. It tasted like cream.

Edited by Plantes Vertes, 10 April 2013 - 08:39 AM.

#35 scubadoo97

scubadoo97
  • participating member
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:17 PM

Starting to make caldo verde tonight. <br /><br />ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365635750.752618.jpg

#36 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:22 PM

Starting to make caldo verde tonight. <br /><br />attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1365635750.752618.jpg

Looks good. What is caldo verde?

#37 Steve Irby

Steve Irby
  • society donor
  • 191 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:05 PM

Fresh tomato and basil soup.  The stock is heavy cream and the pan gelee left over from the Easter ham.  I was going to make tomato gravy and it morphed into soup. We are getting some great tomatoes out of South Florida.

P1000879(1).JPG

#38 scubadoo97

scubadoo97
  • participating member
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:06 PM

Starting to make caldo verde tonight.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365635750.752618.jpg
Looks good. What is caldo verde?

It's a Portuguese kale and potato soup. Often with linguica or other sausage or meat.

#39 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 720 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:57 AM

Today I made celery and apple pureed soup with some new potatoes and an onion. I garnished it with powdered dehydrated celery and apple, celery leaves and apple batons.

I served it with cider bread. The bread made me a little drunk. I might dilute the cider next time... or I might not. :smile:

Edited by Plantes Vertes, 12 April 2013 - 08:03 AM.

#40 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 720 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:19 PM

Today's was leek and potato pureed soup (leeks, new potatoes, onion, garlic, vegetable stock, salt and black pepper, braised) with chiffonade of leeks and brunoise potatoes cooked separately and added back in, and garnished with a blanched chiffonade of leeks and mixed herb pistou.

Edited by Plantes Vertes, 14 April 2013 - 04:22 PM.

#41 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 720 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:20 PM

Today I made black bean soup with some celery, carrots, onion, garlic, and vegetable stock. The spices were cardamom, paprika and chilli. Garnished with fermented beetroot and parsley.

Edited by Plantes Vertes, 15 April 2013 - 12:21 PM.

#42 TinaYuan

TinaYuan
  • participating member
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:04 PM

Paul Bertolli's Cauliflower Soup
In the same vein as Gordon's Ramsey broccoli soup, it's hard to beat the simplicity. After sweating thinly sliced onions, the cauliflower is added and cooked in a small amount of water for about 15 minutes (lid on), and then simmered for an additional 20 minutes with additional water (lid off). There are no other ingredients except salt, pepper, and olive oil. The soup thickens when blended and has a very smooth texture. It's really good and highlights the delicate flavor of the cauliflower. This is a nice change from soups that use roasted cauliflower.

8412424503_d51c54053c_z.jpg

FrogPrincesse, I was so intrigued by your post and finally made the cauliflower soup today. WOW, it is so delicious!! So fresh and cauliflowery. The earthy flavor of olive oil just elevates the delicacy of cauliflower. Thank you for sharing!

111.jpg

Life is beautiful.

#43 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:12 PM

FrogPrincesse, I was so intrigued by your post and finally made the cauliflower soup today. WOW, it is so delicious!! So fresh and cauliflowery. The earthy flavor of olive oil just elevates the delicacy of cauliflower. Thank you for sharing!

You are very welcome Tina. Great photo! I am glad that you enjoyed this soup. It's so simple and so interesting at the same time. I love recipes that are deceptively simple but end up surprising you. For me they are a source of inspiration.

#44 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 720 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:15 AM

Hot and sour soup; vegetable broth, mushroom broth, cornstarch, wood ear fungus, water chestnut, bamboo shoots, tofu, beansprouts, scallions, ginger, red chillies, garlic, soy sauce, Chianking vinegar, white wine vinegar, salt, white pepper.

#45 liuzhou

liuzhou
  • participating member
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:50 PM

Tomato soup.

Garlic, Onion, Tomatoes, Olive Oil, Salt, Pepper.

tomato soup.jpg

#46 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:24 PM

You are very welcome Tina. Great photo! I am glad that you enjoyed this soup. It's so simple and so interesting at the same time. I love recipes that are deceptively simple but end up surprising you. For me they are a source of inspiration.

I've made this soup a couple of times, and each time it was good, but I was somewhat disappointed.  I'm going to make it again tonight.  I am convinced that really FRESH cauli will make the difference.   A few hours ago I got the freshest cauli I've had in months, and will be using a much "cleaner" chemical-free water than that which comes from my tap.  I am also going to use a very fresh leek along with the onion instead of just the storage onions I've used before.  I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

.... Shel

#47 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:15 PM

I just finished making Bertolli's Cauliflower Soup, and it is the best version I've made thus far.  Fresh, quality ingredients made all the difference.  This is one great soup. 

Edited by Shel_B, 30 April 2013 - 06:38 PM.

.... Shel

#48 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:21 PM

I just finished making Bertolli's Cauliflower Soup, and it is the best version I've made thus far.  Fresh, quality ingredients made all the difference.  This is one great soup. 

I am happy to read that you liked the soup in the end. With such a simple recipe, I agree that the quality of the ingredients makes a huge impact.

Edited by FrogPrincesse, 03 May 2013 - 12:21 PM.

#49 olmoelisa

olmoelisa
  • participating member
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:52 AM

For rainy nights: a soup with carrots, a lot of shallot, potatoes (3 part of carrots, 1 part of potatoes), bay leaf, chicken broth.

When cooked (not too much, we don't need carrots puree!) add a spoon of butter, half a cup of fresh cream (or greek yougurt) every 4-5 cups of soup and blend.

Put in the individual bowls and decorate with chopped parsley, black pepper and crumbled Amaretto cookies (for who don't know them, they are cookies made in the same Italian factory where they do the Amaretto di Saronno liquor and they have more or less the same taste - minus the alcohol, of course).

To me it's a winter/early spring soup, but if the night isn't rainy you can also serve it cold - at room temperature, don't put into the fridge.

My Italian Homemade Liqueurs and Pastries recipes at: http://italianliqueurs.blogspot.com.es

#50 liuzhou

liuzhou
  • participating member
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:49 PM

I found myself with a fridge full of asparagus so guess what - asparagus soup. It may not look like much but it has a deep asparagus taste and a nice creamy texture.

Asparagus Soup.jpg

#51 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 720 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:51 PM

Celery and parsnip:

Attached Images

• 001 (640x480).jpg

#52 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:17 AM

Some recent soups:

• Veggie soup - with Taiwan Choy Sumsnow fungus (Tremella fuciformis), Taiwanese-type long Napa cabbage ("Wong Nga Pak"), cauliflower florets & sliced pork in stock.  Full post: http://forums.egulle...-8#entry1913369

• "Shui Kow" [Pork, shrimp, cabbage & mushroom; Prime Food] and chiffonaded Lacinato kale in chicken stock.  Full post: http://forums.egulle...-8#entry1913371

• Pork & scallion meatballs§; in a pork stock with baby veggie tips (菜苗bánh phở.  Full post: http://forums.egulle...-8#entry1913467

• "Harm Choy Tong" (Pickled sour mustard soup) with pork spare ribs, tomatoes (Cherub), sliced ginger, halved garlic cloves, soft tofu slices; plus some rice vinegar.  Full post: http://forums.egulle...-8#entry1913579

• Daikon, King oyster mushroomsnow fungus, thick-cap shiitake ("far koo" type) mushroom & scallion soup; in a pork bone stock.  Full post:  http://forums.egulle...-9#entry1914203

• Wonton soup – with shrimp, Chinese celery & pork wontons [Wei Chuan]; and this week’s “young vegetable shoots” (“菜苗”); Simple vegetable soup of Taiwanese long-type “Wong Nga Pak” (long-type Napa cabbage) and cauliflower florets in chicken stock; Pork, leek & shrimp “Shui Kow” dumplings (NOT gyoza/potstickers; NOR wontons) [Wei Chuan] & skinny wonton noodles in a pork-based stock; Soup, with opo squash (浦瓜); Lotus root soup – with a skin-on reasonably fatty chicken thigh [Bell & Evans], Chinese red dates (Jujubes; 紅棗; Ziziphus jujuba), plus a small dried cuttlefish.  Full post: http://forums.egulle...-9#entry1914862

• Edible amaranth, red-streaked leaved variety (莧菜; as bought, most probably Amaranthus dubius or a hybrid) (see also here) (Baike articleGoogle translation) & pork ball [Venus] soup in pork stock;  Bak Kut Teh (肉骨茶Yale Cantonese: yuk6 gwat1 cha4).  Full post with details on the BKT: http://forums.egulle...-9#entry1915127

• Watercress in chicken stock; Chicken, cabbage & fennel bulb soup; in chicken stock.  Full post: http://forums.egulle...-9#entry1915774

• “Harm Choy Tong” – with pickled sour mustard (See this post and this post for more info), chicken thighs, sliced ginger, sliced tomatoes, sea salt, rice vinegar, soft tofu slices; Pork, scallop & shrimp “shui kow” dumplings [Wei Chuan] (these) in chicken stock w/ watercress & skinny wonton noodles; Shrimp in spicy broth with vegetables.  Full posts: http://forums.egulle...-9#entry1916265

• Beef short ribs, daikon, flower-pattern shiitake mushrooms & garlic soup.  Full post: http://forums.egulle...-9#entry1916525

• A riff on lotus root soup.  Full post: http://forums.egulle...-9#entry1916790

• Salmon & Veggie soup.  Full post: http://forums.egulle...10#entry1917213

• Pork & Chinese spinach wontons [Wei Chuan] in broth w/ Shanghai noodles, Chinese celery leaves & sliced scallions.  Full post: http://forums.egulle...10#entry1917600

• Shanghai Yangchun Noodles (上海陽春麵) in duck & Chinese celery broth, with finely chopped scallions (green parts only); Chicken & Cabbage soup.  Full post: http://forums.egulle...10#entry1918119

• Soup with pork spare ribs, sliced ginger, crushed garlic cloves, green Chinese radish (青蘿蔔) and (Western) carrots; a Bak Kut Teh variation.  Full post: http://forums.egulle...10#entry1918740

#53 ePressureCooker

ePressureCooker
  • participating member
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:08 PM

I have a number of standard soup recipes that I tend to use over and over again, but I'm looking to expand my repertoire, and expand the number of meals where I serve soup.  So I thought I'd ask here for some ideas.  So what are YOUR favorite kinds of soup?  (And if its something possibly unfamiliar, please share a few details!)  Thanks!

#54 FeChef

FeChef
  • participating member
  • 397 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:19 PM

One of my favorite soups is Ham, potato, and green bean soup. Also Ham, potato, and cabbage soup.

#55 weinoo

weinoo
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,165 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:21 PM

Leek and potato.  Water based.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog
My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs
Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

#56 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:40 PM

Mulligatawny!

Chickarina
Wawa Sizzli FTW!

#57 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:41 PM

Southeast Asian noodle soups, hakata-style ramen, Arab/Turkish style lentil soup, and the mack daddy of all Iraqi soups - shorbat hamudh shalgham - a tomato based soup thickened with soaked pounded rice, with swiss chard, turnips, chickpeas, and a special kind of spherical kubba, eaten only in that soup.

#58 ePressureCooker

ePressureCooker
  • participating member
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:47 PM

Mulligatawny!

Chickarina

Chickarina, huh?  I confess I had to google that one.  What kind of meat are the meatballs made of? My dad would probably like that - he loves just about anything with meatballs in it (and yes, I already make albondigas soup, although I feel the broth I make needs a little more oomph).

#59 ePressureCooker

ePressureCooker
  • participating member
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:56 PM

Southeast Asian noodle soups, hakata-style ramen, Arab/Turkish style lentil soup, and the mack daddy of all Iraqi soups - shorbat hamudh shalgham - a tomato based soup thickened with soaked pounded rice, with swiss chard, turnips, chickpeas, and a special kind of spherical kubba, eaten only in that soup.

Hmmm...what kind of pork bones are used for the broth for the hakata style ramen, do you know?

#60 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,569 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:07 PM

Szechuan Hot and Sour Soup

Spinach and Lentil Soup

Albondigas Soup

Beef and Barley Soup

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates